SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gumbo, It's what's for dinner.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gumbo, It's what's for dinner. Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'm born and raised in Louisiana and I've never seen or heard of cooking the rice along with the gumbo . Obviously some people do it , but I like a lot of rice in mine so that wouldn't work for me . Different strokes ..

Yeah, same here. There is a big old scoop of rice under there, cooked separate then placed in the bowl with the gumbo spooned around and on top. I like to dig into the middle to get some clean rice with every bite.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I'm not used to seeing sausage and seafood in the same gumbo, but I guess there is no "official" gumbo.

As to the coonass comment, I can tell you that some people don't care and it's just a synonym for cajun, but some people do take offense. I think some people grew up having it used against them in a derogatory way, so they take offense to it.

Agree with this statement, you don't just throw the word around in mixed company and probably shouldn't use it unless you have a connection to the culture and understand it's meaning.

Funny story, when I was in about the 3rd grade my grandmother gave me a t-shirt that said "registered Coon-Ass" across the front with a cartoon Raccoon on it with his tail up in the air. I remember proudly wearing it to school in the late 70's in SE Texas. Doubt that would fly past the dress code these days Big Grin

I remember those shirts

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, same here. There is a big old scoop of rice under there, cooked separate then placed in the bowl with the gumbo spooned around and on top. I like to dig into the middle to get some clean rice with every bite.

Oh ! Lawdy ! He'p me ! ! !

That just pushed me over the top - gotta have some Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:

I am happy to report that I have a bowl in the steam oven reheating as I type Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
God Bless you ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Looks great!

I put extra okra in mine.

I was going to say the same. I can’t wait to plant okra this summer!

I have some okra and El Grande Jalapeno seedlings growing inside my house(from last years seeds) as we speak!! All of mt soil mixture is done outside and ready for planting to begin soon. I do love me some okra and Jap-a-linos!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made some this weekend , very tasty!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cne32507:

Chicken Okra Sausage Gumbo By OliveLover

"The Picayune Creole Cookbook is a compilation of recipes from the Picayune-Creole newspaper of the early 1900's in New Orleans."

If you want the 6th Edition Cookbook it can be found free here. https://archive.org/stream/pic...og#page/n19/mode/2up

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The gumbo looks good. What is the second soup?

That would be the Pokey soup. Big Grin
http://timpyles.files.wordpres.../01/gumby-pokey1.jpg

Big Grin

Yep.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:

I am happy to report that I have a bowl in the steam oven reheating as I type Big Grin

Now that looks like gumbo LA style

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post