SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gumbo, It's what's for dinner.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gumbo, It's what's for dinner. Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Where is the gumbo? Smile

I come from a long line of coonasses, I can assure you this would have passed muster on any of the tables in those aunt's kitchens in southwest Louisiana Smile

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently we had a couple of wet, cold days(for us), so I had to make my seafood gumbo with hot Italian sausage. When ready to serve, I place it in a bowl and add freshly cooked rice on top......and one MUST apply Tabasco sauce also.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:

I come from a long line of coonasses, I can assure you this would have passed muster on any of the tables in those aunt's kitchens in southwest Louisiana Smile

I've spent a good deal of time in your neck of the woods and when I use the term coon asses everybody walks away like I'm the worst racist in the world!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
quote:

I've spent a good deal of time in your neck of the woods and when I use the term coon asses everybody walks away like I'm the worst racist in the world!

Haha, they clearly have no clue....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, well you've given me an itch I can't scratch there pal. And that bowl looked absolutely delicious.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Haha, they clearly have no clue....

Truth! I love your neck of the woods best food and people in the world!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My wife made great gumbo and jambylya. Miss that. Wish I could get back to Nola for some of the real stuff again.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Looks great!

I put extra okra in mine.

I was going to say the same. I can’t wait to plant okra this summer!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks really, really good. How long does it simmer after all ingredients are in?

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
40 minutes or until rice is done.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

It has the look of something that simmered a long time. Of course, that would do no good for shrimp...

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I'm not used to seeing sausage and seafood in the same gumbo, but I guess there is no "official" gumbo.

As to the coonass comment, I can tell you that some people don't care and it's just a synonym for cajun, but some people do take offense. I think some people grew up having it used against them in a derogatory way, so they take offense to it.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I put whatever meat I have in gumbo. Duck makes a superior gumbo, though. With some andouille. And some shrimp.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My old Army buddy from the 70's calls me Coonass and still does. And I'm full blooded German

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duck and venison/pork sausage (50/50) makes a mean gumbo - from another SW Louisiana coon ass. Use Teal if you have them. Sub chicken and pork sausage if you can’t get ducks and venison. Don’t forget that Gumbo needs File’ and hot sauce.

Nothing smells like home more than a roux cooking in the kitchen.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm born and raised in Louisiana and I've never seen or heard of cooking the rice along with the gumbo . Obviously some people do it , but I like a lot of rice in mine so that wouldn't work for me . Different strokes ..

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'm born and raised in Louisiana and I've never seen or heard of cooking the rice along with the gumbo . Obviously some people do it , but I like a lot of rice in mine so that wouldn't work for me . Different strokes ..

Yep add the rice after and and put how much you like in it.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I'm from down around there, not a true coonass though. I was always told that Creole gumbo is haute cuisine; Cajun gumbo is what yo mama had left in the kitchen!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

It has the look of something that simmered a long time. Of course, that would do no good for shrimp...

You dont just throw everything in a pot and simmer for 45 minutes. The roux (the base of the sauce) takes a while to make and is the most critical part of the dish. You can buy a "starter kit" but it will never be close to as good as a gumbo with a roux made from scratch.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I'm not used to seeing sausage and seafood in the same gumbo, but I guess there is no "official" gumbo.

As to the coonass comment, I can tell you that some people don't care and it's just a synonym for cajun, but some people do take offense. I think some people grew up having it used against them in a derogatory way, so they take offense to it.

Agree with this statement, you don't just throw the word around in mixed company and probably shouldn't use it unless you have a connection to the culture and understand it's meaning.

Funny story, when I was in about the 3rd grade my grandmother gave me a t-shirt that said "registered Coon-Ass" across the front with a cartoon Raccoon on it with his tail up in the air. I remember proudly wearing it to school in the late 70's in SE Texas. Doubt that would fly past the dress code these days Big Grin