SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gumbo, It's what's for dinner.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gumbo, It's what's for dinner. Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted
My wife outdid herself tonight. We were busy all week so she made me a Valentine's dinner tonight. For those of you up north who have never had homemade gumbo from scratch....I'm sorry Razz

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
That looks very good. Someone post a recipe, please.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That looks SOOO legit. Smile

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
YUM!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Those looks yummy!!!

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
No protection? Tsk, tsk...

(Looks great!)

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I like gumbo and have noticed that it is one of those dishes where there must be 30 or 40 variations of. Haven't tasted a bad one yet. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With, or without beans?

Wink

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The gumbo looks good. What is the second soup?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The gumbo looks good. What is the second soup?

That would be the Pokey soup. Big Grin
http://timpyles.files.wordpres.../01/gumby-pokey1.jpg

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Where is the gumbo? Smile

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

I put extra okra in mine.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Mushrooms in Gumbo? Ick!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Looks excellent! I would not have given my wife the credit I would have said I made it!! Razz
Looks like your wife knows her way around Gumbo!!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Gumbo

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Aha! I did not look close enough at the monkey's pic. Should have known better. Big Grin

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Sausage and chicken gumbo is considered Cajun gumbo as opposed to Creole (seafood) gumbo. Some are a blend of the two styles. Cajun gumbo is better the next day. it will also freeze well.

Please excuse my clumsy attempt to convert pdf to text.

Chicken Okra Sausage Gumbo By OliveLover

"This is a compilation from the Picayune Creole Cookbook and Cajun-Creole Cooking. The Picayune Creole Cookbook is a compilation of recipes from the Picayune-Creole newspaper of the early 1900's in New Orleans.

If you've never made a Cajun Roux, don't skimp of the time it takes to make it. If you want a gumbo with a velvety texture, the roux is of utmost importance. Allow it to cook slowly and don't forge to stir. Don't be put off by the preparation time or the number of steps. It all actually goes together pretty quickly and the end results are worth it."

Ingredients
1 (4 -4 1/2 lb) chicken ( about 4 to 4 1/2 pounds, cut into pieces)
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped bell peppers
1 cup chopped celery
4 garlic cloves, large, minced
3 quarts chicken stock
2 cups water
1 lb smoked andouille sausage, cut into bite sized pieces ( if you have fresh andouille, saute the links so they can be cut later)
1/2 cup bacon fat ( or 8 oz. diced bacon rendered down, reserve the browned bits)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
2 lbs okra, 1/4 inch slices ( or 20 oz. frozen chopped)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme ( or 10 -12 fresh sprigs of thyme, about 6-inch bundled)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown rice
salt, black pepper and red pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place the salt, black pepper, Cajun seasoning, and garlic powder, with the flour in a 1 gallon zip type bag.
2. Wash the chicken parts and dry well. Sprinkle with more Cajun seasoning and allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. (If you do not have bacon fat
handy, use this time to render the fat from 1/2 pound of bacon.).
3. In a large stock pot, about 12 quart, heat the olive oil and bacon fat. Put the chicken into the bag with the seasoned flour and shake to coat. Drop the
chicken into the pan and brown it until the outside is golden. Do it in two batches if necessary. Reserve the flour mixture remaining in the bag.
4. Remove the chicken and add the flour mixture from the bag to the oil. On low heat, stir the roux thoroughly. Allow it to simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring
thoroughly every 5-6 minutes or less. Do not allow it scorch. It's better to keep the heat lower, stir more often and take the maximum amount of time then to
risk scorching the roux which will make it bitter. The end result should be a smooth paste the color of mahogany, several shades darker than peanut butter.
5. While that is browning, chop the bell peppers, onions and celery. Mince the garlic. Slice each link of sausage in half lengthwise, then lay flat on the board
and slice into 3/8" slices.
6. When the roux has become smooth and rich, add the peppers, onions, garlic,celery and sausage. Stir until the vegetables are wilted and the onions are
translucent.
7. Add the bay leaf. Add one can of tomatoes and their liquid and stir well. Continue adding the second can of tomatoes, the stock and water slowly,
stirring well between each addition to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil.
8. Return the chicken to the pot and allow to simmer until the chicken is falling off the bone, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the chicken and
set aside to cool so the meat can be removed from the bones.
9. Add the sliced okra, the thyme and the rice.
10. Allow to cook on low heat for 40 minutes or until the rice is done.
11. Adjust the seasonings with salt, pepper and cayenne

Notes:
roux can be made ahead in the oven, as posted in this forum.
Cajun seasoning, like Tony's, is mostly salt, so be careful not to oversalt. You can easily make your own, and then add salt to taste.
I like to use smoked country sausage in addition to andouille.
I don't usually cook the rice in the gumbo, although that's the better way.

TIP ESPECIAL: The sausage gives up it's flavors to the chicken and is bland when finished. I double the sausage amount: half cut into larger pieces, half cut as instructed. Cook with the large piece half, remove and replace with the fresh sauted half.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
With, or without beans?

Wink

Big Grin
trouble maker alert!
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post