SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help identifying these objects.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help identifying these objects. Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
They appear to be hand wrought, as evidenced by the way the bolt holes are formed by wrapping the steel. So possibly not a high production part from a factory.

I would guess that they bolted underneath something and held a flat bar. The pivoting latch holding the bar and allowed it to be removed if needed.

I'll guess the bar guided fabric or paper in a manufacturing process or maybe for gift wrapping.

There is a little bit of decorative look to them, which could mean it is for use in a home or store. Or that's just the way they did things long ago, adding flourishes even when they weren't needed. Like pin striping machinery.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Those are the brackets for the mounting of Buckaroo Banzai's inventions, and for Shifting the Oscillation Overthruster into warp speed, thus giving access to the Eighth Dimension.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Send them to the "My Mechanics" guy from YouTube and he'll restore them to brand new condition, whatever they are...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
If it helps, one looks to be cast iron and the other cast aluminum. This should narrow their time of production. Cast aluminum was much rarer before 1900 (approx.)

If cast AL, it would be very weak. They are both made of iron or steel, one of them with the finish gone.

quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
roof jacks

No, roof jacks are adjustable for pitch, and much larger.

quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
They appear to be hand wrought, as evidenced by the way the bolt holes are formed by wrapping the steel. So possibly not a high production part from a factory.

I would guess that they bolted underneath something and held a flat bar. The pivoting latch holding the bar and allowed it to be removed if needed.

I'll guess the bar guided fabric or paper in a manufacturing process or maybe for gift wrapping.

There is a little bit of decorative look to them, which could mean it is for use in a home or store. Or that's just the way they did things long ago, adding flourishes even when they weren't needed. Like pin striping machinery.

This is the most plausible explanation.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will a magnet stick to both of them?

How tall? How wide? Thick or thin?

Perhaps brackets for holding a rod in a General Store - wrapping paper instead of bags for purchases? Rod ends would need to be rectangular, preventing runaway unraveling of paper.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I still think they are wall hangers for plants.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Vulcan nut scratcher.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I heard from the friend who originally asked the question. An antique dealer told him that these are 'bell brackets'.

They're mounted upside down from the way they're shown in the pic. The bell has a horizontal bar attached to the top which locks into the rectangular spaces.

I've not been able to find a photo of this, but it makes sense.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Whatever they are, I agree they look to be upside down. The little swivel part looks like it was meant to rotate down and keep some kind of flat bar stock from getting out of the channel but still be easy to rotate easily to facilitate quick removal of same, since it wouldn't lock in place.

I'm still waiting for Bisley to break in proclaiming (convincingly) that it is a pondo-bracket or some such Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I can't help with everything but one of those items looks like a glass patio table.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I heard from the friend who originally asked the question. An antique dealer told him that these are 'bell brackets'.

They're mounted upside down from the way they're shown in the pic. The bell has a horizontal bar attached to the top which locks into the rectangular spaces.

I've not been able to find a photo of this, but it makes sense.

Did a Google image search for bell brackets. Now, while this example is quite large, the design of the brackets aren't drastically different.

So, it seem plausible that these smaller brackets could suspend a smaller bell rather than support a larger one?

Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of the old gameshow "The Liars Club."

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Medieval birth control for rich people.

I should probably go to bed now.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I seen something very similar to that when I was a kid way back when, in Montana. But they are missing a steel rod. They were used for hanging rolls of butcher paper.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
I seen something very similar to that when I was a kid way back when, in Montana. But they are missing a steel rod. They were used for hanging rolls of butcher paper.

While doing an image search for "antique butcher paper hanger" I saw something similar listed as an "antique butcher meat rack"

My best guess now is these brackets hang on a wall and a flat bar with hooks for hanging meat goes in the slots. So the bar can be removed for transporting the meat hanging, or for cleaning.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I agree.
See an example here, image 2 of 4.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It doesn't appear it bolts to something flat but rather a larger diameter round beam

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I have friends, Epsteinesque though they may be.

LOL I was referring to people asking questions for a friend. You know the guy who wants to know the answer to a question but is too ashamed to admit that he is the one with the problem. To me the objects looked like some sort of restraint device. LOL

That's Funny! There's an ED commercial like that.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
This is what I was thinking, wrapping paper was my first thought. From a time when your package would get wrapped up and tied with string.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These support the tear-off blade for the butcher paper dispenser. The bar can be removed easily for sharpening or replacement.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post