SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HELP, need an Android app to communicate with my sister
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP, need an Android app to communicate with my sister Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My sister suffered severe brain damage.
She's doing her best to communicate by handwrite but it's too small a print and almost illegible.

I'm thinking we could make her life easier with an Android tablet with a large enough screen keyboard. She can only move her hand but not lift her arms.

Could you suggest an app for beginners or with a huge keyboard ?

Thank you very much.
0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your sister.

What about something where she can use a stylus to write in a large on-screen box?

I'm not an Android user, so I can't name anything specific, but I bet there are options available.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
There are 'typing with your eyes' applications available for some platforms. Here's one example...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/...ing-just-their-eyes/

Gazespeaker is another and there are probably more.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
bluetooth keyboard

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
She can barely move or control her eyes.
Yesterday I found her with a dry maker on her hand, trying to write on a pad uselessly. Someone had at some point provided a permanent marker that ruined most of the writing surface
It broke my heart and I ran to the store to get proper markers.

It got me thinking a tablet can be much less frustrating provided no one steals it from her. Hence my plead for help. Not much of an app explorer.

0-0

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe just a text editor, like
https://play.google.com/store/...hmsoft.edit&hl=en_US

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a list of apps for people with special needs.

Several may help, she will need to try them and see what work for her.

If these don't work there are a bunch more out there.

https://www.friendshipcircle.o...apps-on-google-play/

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your sister, hope she is fine.

i use wechat to communicate with my daughter and it very nice.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
My brother experienced sever brain trauma. We used a tobii dynavox. It worked very well. When we didn't have that around a simple letter board worked too. There is nothing more painful and frustrating than watching someone who has all of their faculties, yet can't communicate. Can bring you to tears.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Nick,

You can both get free accounts from zoom.us and can communicate using VoIP on Android or iPads (or phones, pc's, etc.).

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My sister if almost completely paralized.
Saw her handling a pen but she can't lift her arms. Her wrist is all she can manage for the time being.

Thank you for the ideas, that gave me a fresh start and I just tried an app called EVA Facial. Let's you use the camera tracking capabilities to follow your eyes. It's a long stretch but a start. There will be a learning curve for all of us.

Dave/Rolan, my brother from different parents. My sister spent 3 month between intubation and a traqueotomy. Might have damaged her cords. Not sure, but she can barely whisper. unintelligibly. It only add frustration to our desperation to communicate and figure out what else we can do to help her or make her feel more comfortable.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Now I'm thinking where do I find a proper tablet arm or holder to place the device where she can use it.

Baby steps are getting us where we need to be, if only we could figure the right direction more easily and less painfully.

0-0