SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another giant air bag recall and GM isn’t the only auto maker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another giant air bag recall and GM isn’t the only auto maker Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
GM to recall nearly 6M trucks | FleetOwner

GM to recall nearly 6M trucks
Due to fatal air bag deployments, the company is estimated to spend $1.2 billion to recall its vehicles.
Catharine Conway
NOV 24, 2020
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has instructed General Motors (GM) to recall nearly six million trucks from the 2007-2014 model years that are equipped with Takata air bags. In addition to the GM vehicles, over 60 million are affected by this recall across 19 other automakers.

GM contended the instruction based on “multiple design differences” in the air bags and that the physical environment in the affected vehicles “better protects the front-passenger inflator from the extreme temperature cycling that can cause inflator rupture." GM submitted a request to have the 5.9 million vehicles exempt but was denied by the NHTSA. The recall is estimated to cost the company $1.2 billion, about one-third of its net income so far this year, the Associated Press reported.

In 2019, GM had to recall 3.4 million pickup trucks and SUVs due to a vacuum pump defect that made it more difficult for vehicles to brake at low speeds. The problem stemmed from excessive debris and sludge build up on the vacuum pump filter screen as the engine oil lubricated it, leading to a drop in vacuum and more pressure required to brake.

“The safety and trust of those who drive our vehicles is at the forefront of everything we do at General Motors. Although we believe a recall of these vehicles is not warranted based on the factual and scientific record, NHTSA has directed that we replace the air bag inflators in the vehicles in question,” said GM in a statement to Fox Business. “Based on data generated through independent scientific evaluation conducted over several years, we disagree with NHTSA’s position. However, we will abide by NHTSA’s decision and begin taking the necessary steps.”

According to the recall order, the deaths of at least 30 people are attributable to these rupturing Takata inflators globally – 18 people in the United States. During the faulty air bag deployment, this propellant degradation can cause the inflator to over-pressurize, causing sharp metal fragments – like shrapnel – to penetrate the air bag and enter the vehicle compartment.

Owners of the affected vehicles can check here if their vehicles have been recalled and key in their 17-digit vehicle identification number.
The affected GM vehicles are:
• Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500, 2500 and 3500 models
• Chevrolet Tahoe
• Chevrolet Suburban
• Chevrolet Avalanche
• GMC Yukon
• Cadillac Escalade

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Takata airbags are used by just about the entire industry.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
“GM submitted a request to have the 5.9 million vehicles exempt but was denied by the NHTSA”

“The safety and trust of those who drive our vehicles is at the forefront of everything we do at General Motors.”

Uh huh.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is this a new recall? Or an extension of the prior Takata recall?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I once knew a girl named Tamara, but these are Takata airbags. What am I missing?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is this a new recall? Or an extension of the prior Takata recall?
An extension so to speak. GM has been appealing this recall for quite some time and this update is simply them acquiescing to NTHSA and agreeing to recall all the vehicles in question.

After reading extensively on this issue, I'm really wondering if it is as bad an issue as the media and the NTHSA has made it out to be.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Is Takata still in business?

Link

Looked it up. I'm not hopeful.

"The surviving assets are to be sold to its largest competitor, Chinese owned and U.S. (Michigan) based Key Safety Systems, for about $1.6 billion."

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500. I punched in the VIN number and it is not on the recall list. Either this is only an issue with some of the 2013's or the Federal Government does not have the specific VIN number information yet.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We had a brand new 2007 Silverado 1500 with Takata airbags. Not long after we bought it, a recall came out. GM said it was 'ok' to drive but when the parts came in our dealer would install them. We sold that truck 10 years later and no new parts were ever received.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I once knew a girl named Tamara, but these are Takata airbags. What am I missing?
This is about air bags not fun bags.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
This is about air bags not fun bags.

Ohhh thank God, I'm not the only deviant here!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Ford has had a recall in process for many months. Some day I need to take my 2006 Mustang in for the fix. They are even offering an option to come to your home to do it there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ford has had a recall in process for many months. Some day I need to take my 2006 Mustang in for the fix. They are even offering an option to come to your home to do it there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do it ASAP. Just look at the pics of what your face looks like if you survive. I have taken four Hondas to have the bags replaced. You can go sit in the new Mustangs on the showroom floor and fiddle with the gear shift.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do it ASAP. Just look at the pics of what your face looks like if you survive. I have taken four Hondas to have the bags replaced. You can go sit in the new Mustangs on the showroom floor and fiddle with the gear shift.
Well, 10 days ago I T-boned a pickup truck hard enough to break its right front wheel, and neither airbag deployed. It damaged the front of my GT but not enough to make it undrivable. Didn't damage the grill or anything inside the hood. I just got it back from repairs yesterday. I'm thinking the problem with the airbags may be that they DON'T deploy, not that they do so randomly.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a climate that is very humid and there is a greater tendency for the ammonium nitrate to degrade and go off unexpectedly. UP is decidedly less humid.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Finally received notice they have the parts for my car. Over a year ago I received the official recall notice but they where not setup with parts to make the repair.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
At some point isn’t it obvious that the problem is not as originally envisioned? By now if it was a huge issue wouldn’t hundreds of drivers be affected?

All this money for such minimal risk. And the money lost harms a very important industry at a pivotal time of pandemic and electrification.

I had a recalled 2007 Suburban and drove it everywhere without concern. What can you do? No parts.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
At some point isn’t it obvious that the problem is not as originally envisioned? By now if it was a huge issue wouldn’t hundreds of drivers be affected?

All this money for such minimal risk. And the money lost harms a very important industry at a pivotal time of pandemic and electrification.

I had a recalled 2007 Suburban and drove it everywhere without concern. What can you do? No parts.

Peer the NHTSA eighteen people have been killed and at least 250 injured due to this. I suppose a case could be made for number of incidents vs. number of vehicles that use Takata air bags but I have no desire to take that chance to take steel fragments in the chest, throat and face.

On the money lost by the automakers do not shed a tear. Every vehicle sold has a certain percentage figured into the price for potential warranty expenses. If the manufacturer overestimated that expense, more money for them. If under, well, just lower returns for stockholders. Sounds cold but the cost of doing business. This recall is not even a blip on the screen in the big picture.

On the pandemic and electrification, the automakers aren't footing the bill on their own, ultimately the taxpayers are contributing to this through state and federal unemployment funds, tax incentives for EV development, tax breaks for new plant construction.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you. The argument above yours reminds me of the arguments of the exploding gas tank. The company knew about the problem, told no one and did nothing until taken to court.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you. The argument above yours reminds me of the arguments of the exploding gas tank. The company knew about the problem, told no one and did nothing until taken to court.

I'll never shed a tear for GM and what they did to their customers, suppliers, employees and the dealer chain during and after the bankruptcy.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post