SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small car tire recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small car tire recommendations? Login/Join 
Bodhisattva
posted
Time to replace the crappy OEM tires on my 2013 Ford Focus. 215/55R16. I have separate rims & snow tires for winter. More concerned with wet traction, noise and a comfortable ride than longevity. What does the brain trust recommend?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michelin. My Michelins excelled at all 3 of your criteria.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Do you know the specific model?

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with PRIMACY MXM4 on my VW JSW

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
The michelins noted above, or Continental DWS06

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
I had good luck with PRIMACY MXM4 on my VW JSW

I will second this good recommendation. My wife went thru a couple sets of tires including Pilot Sports, on her Jetta. All were LOUD and sounded like something was wrong with the car. Went to MXM4s and it's quiet now. Also, they seem to have a lot of tread left for the miles on them.....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with Bridgestone Potenza. Drove through a winter with over 100 inches of snow without ever close to being stuck.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Head on over to Discount Tire's website, put in your tire size, and explore your options. I ran it and like 30 different tires came up.

I've owned Yokohama, Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, and Continental tires on cars I've owned, and all of them offer good options. Just depends mostly on how much you're willing to shell out.

A final thought. If its not imperative to replace them right now, I'd suggest waiting a couple weeks to take advantage of the inevitable Thanksgiving Day sales.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I used to be sold on Michelins, but I've not had good luck with the longevity of them for the last couple of sets. The previous set of tires I had on my Camry were the PRIMACY MXM4's. They were loud and wore out a lot sooner than I expected. Based on the comments online in a Toyota forum, I wasn't the only one who was disappointed.

The last set I purchased for my Camry was General ALTIMAX RT43's. They are by far the quietest tire I've ever had. They've been good in the snow and rain as well. I've got about 20K on them now and they are holding up very well.

Since then, we've put them on my fiancee's Camry and my daughter's Corolla.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ShouldBFishin - I swear I was about to post the same thing. Both my cars have the Altimax RT43's and I love them.

Michelin is living off their name and reputation. I think they are so overrated. The Generals were half the price than the factory Michelins on my car and I think they are every bit as good. The Michelins didn't even make it 30k miles.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Michelin. My Michelins excelled at all 3 of your criteria.

I had Michelin's in that exact size on a Honda Civic through 3 Colorado winters and they've performed better than any other brand that I have had experience with.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
You mention you already have dedicated Winter tires, which is a great way to go. I just got some of these Perilli tires for my sister, she also has dedicated Winter tires, front anyway.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/...o-p7-all-season-plus

These are Cinturato P7 ‘All season plus’ tires. I’ve had them before on another vehicle. Check reviews at Tire Rack. I ended up buying from a large ebay seller. The sister lives in the Northern U.P. of MI.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
ShouldBFishin - I swear I was about to post the same thing. Both my cars have the Altimax RT43's and I love them.

Michelin is living off their name and reputation. I think they are so overrated. The Generals were half the price than the factory Michelins on my car and I think they are every bit as good. The Michelins didn't even make it 30k miles.

I think I got just a little over 30K out of that last set Michelins as well.

I can't say enough good things about the Generals - I was blown away with how quite they are and they seem to handle just as well as the Michelins I had on there before.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Cooper CS5's have worked well for me on my cars.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post