SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toilet flange replacement
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet flange replacement Login/Join 
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
With this type of repair flange it puts the anchor points out a little further so you can make sure its fastened into solid floor.

https://www.menards.com/main/b...712276941250&ipos=52

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
Disclaimer: I AIN'T DONE IT MYSELF. But I saw it done on "Ask This Old House".

It's an alternative to replacing the broken flange. You clean up the old flange and put in a wax ring, as if the flange were intact and usable. Then, you screw down this aftermarket additional flange onto the floor, sealing it to the original flange. Then, you attach the toilet to the aftermarket flange, which is all brand-new material.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DA...air-10672X/204403879

I'm sure other versions are out there.

That looks promising.... but doesn’t it raise the height too much?

I swear by these. No height issues in the three times we've used 'em.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a rag in that pipe already.
That sewer gas is killing me!

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

NOT something to be said to Mrs, by the way... Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:

Oddly enough I have not noticed a single whiff of nasty coming from the pipe and it was exposed for a full day. I did drop a n95 mask on top of it now since I’m sanding the walls down.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:

Oddly enough I have not noticed a single whiff of nasty coming from the pipe and it was exposed for a full day. I did drop a n95 mask on top of it now since I’m sanding the walls down.

You should stuff a rag in the pipe. Not to protect the pipe from stuff falling in (I mean think about it for a minute), but to stop sewer gas from coming out since your water trap is currently sitting out in the garage.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cut the plywood around the pipe going joist to joist. Doesn't have to be a big area, but big enough that you have a foot on either side of the toilet and go joist to joist. Cut the pipe and install a coupling followed by some pipe sticking out from the floor and leave it extended. Replace plywood around the pipe. Patch your floor / level and prep for replacement floor. Replace floor. Cut off pipe and install new stainless steel flange so it sits on top of new flooring. Replace toilet.

It's a little bit of work to do if it's your first time (but not much in material). And you'll never worry about whether or not you should have done it this far the first time. Nothing is more frustrating than setting a toilet and having one of the bolts pull through the flange... especially if you just replaced the floor.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:
Cut the plywood around the pipe going joist to joist. Doesn't have to be a big area, but big enough that you have a foot on either side of the toilet and go joist to joist. Cut the pipe and install a coupling followed by some pipe sticking out from the floor and leave it extended. Replace plywood around the pipe. Patch your floor / level and prep for replacement floor. Replace floor. Cut off pipe and install new stainless steel flange so it sits on top of new flooring. Replace toilet.

It's a little bit of work to do if it's your first time (but not much in material). And you'll never worry about whether or not you should have done it this far the first time. Nothing is more frustrating than setting a toilet and having one of the bolts pull through the flange... especially if you just replaced the floor.

Do you have opinion on the Danco Hydroseat? I bought one but haven’t done it yet. I spent the day working on the walls.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
The project is bigger than the toilet... it’s a new vanity and new flooring and the big job: resurfacing the walls to remove the spray on texture. I ripped out everything to the particle board underlay and sanded a bunch and then tried my hand at skim coating. Never did it before. I was hoping to wrap it up before the work week but I didn’t get the walls finished in time. Just now out the final coat of paint up. I’ll give it an hour or two to set up then it’s on to the flooring.

I replaced some of the underpayment already and the rest just needs the mud droppings scrapped off and a very thouroigh vacuum job due to all the sanding I did. Once that is done I’ll bolt down the Hydroseal thing on the old flange and then figure out how to lay the vinyl down. I got the stuff at HD that doesn’t need to be glued, only taped at the doorways.

Once the vinyl is down a new toilet goes in and a new pedestal sink to make it functional. Also replacing all the supply valves at this time.

And then I’ll just have to cut and install new base and have the wife go pick a new light fixture.

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
And the toilet is back in after finishing walls and some of the new baseboard that would have been harder to do with the throne installed.

Repair flange put in and a new bowl to tank gasket plus new tank bolts, new supply valve and hose and this guy is ready for another 100,000 Miles.

I should be able to carve out a few hours tomorrow to knock out the rest of the base and put a pedestal sink in.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, the sweet victory of a new turd-cutter installed after full renovation. Good job!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Ahhh, the sweet victory of a new turd-cutter installed after full renovation. Good job!

Haven’t even properly christened it yet.