SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toilet flange replacement
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet flange replacement Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Hi guys... we are doing a bathroom “refresh” to include new vinyl floor, new vanity, and paint. When I pulled the old vinyl out we found evidence of past leaks and some moldy underlay. So, I started ripping out the damaged underlay and discovered a severely corroded toilet flange that I assume needs replacement. There was no leak at the toilet when I removed it but it seems prudent to fix this before reinstalling the toilet.

But I don’t know how. There appears to be 4 screws holding it down, but they are heavily damaged and no slots are evident on the heads. In fact, on 2 of them I can simply grab the head with a polar and lift it out. Is all I need to do is remove the other fasteners and this old one will lift out? I assume it can’t be that simple.

This is in an upstairs bathroom. The drain pipe appears to be some sort of black plastic, I think. Home was built in the mid 1980’s

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Steel flange?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Start by getting rid of the wax to get a better view of the situation

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I ran into a similar situation when I replaced two toilets. The steel flange had rusted away leaving the plastic soil pipe. Not wanting to redo the entire soil stack, I found a two-piece stainless steel flange at the hardware store that sort of worked. It helps locate the toilet over the soil pipe, but that's about all. I am depending on the weight of the toilet to keep it in place.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Start by getting rid of the wax to get a better view of the situation

Only the middle picture has the wax. The other two don’t. It appears to be steel, or at least used to be.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Ive put two of these in over the past few months redoing our bathrooms.. I'm as happy as you could expect to be with a toilet flange. It was strongly recommended over wax.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fl...al-7530P24/205762183

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Ive put two of these in over the past few months redoing our bathrooms.. I'm as happy as you could expect to be with a toilet flange. It was strongly recommended over wax.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fl...al-7530P24/205762183

I need to deal with the damage/rottedflabge before the seal, I think?

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Recently, I remodeled the bathroom in our new to us 1960s home.

Noticed the smell of pee by the base. I took the floor up and saw a flange in the same shape as in the pics.

Leaky, all rusted out. The bolts were loose. I cleared the wax and realized the flange was needing replacement.

After researching how to do this, I found the best method to pound on it relentlessly with a 4lb hammer. After hitting the top of the flange, careful not to shatter the pipe below, but you want to wail on it hard enough to break the lead that's holding the flange to the pipe.

It should eventually come loose and you can put a fancy pvc flange on

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
How solid is the plywood around the flange? It looks like it has been wet before too, and if it's soft you might as well cut it out and replace it while you're in there.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I replaced the closet flange with this. And put that rubber gasket over it. Anchored in concrete.

https://www.oatey.com/2372519/...cement-Closet-Flange

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Recently, I remodeled the bathroom in our new to us 1960s home.

Noticed the smell of pee by the base. I took the floor up and saw a flange in the same shape as in the pics.

Leaky, all rusted out. The bolts were loose. I cleared the wax and realized the flange was needing replacement.

After researching how to do this, I found the best method to pound on it relentlessly with a 4lb hammer. After hitting the top of the flange, careful not to shatter the pipe below, but you want to wail on it hard enough to break the lead that's holding the flange to the pipe.

It should eventually come loose and you can put a fancy pvc flange on

So there is something more than a lip that holds the flange to the pipe? That’s what I wasn’t sure about. Given the condition of the current flange I don’t think it would be too hard to break it apart to get it out (famous last words??)

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
How solid is the plywood around the flange? It looks like it has been wet before too, and if it's soft you might as well cut it out and replace it while you're in there.

It’s not soft. The particle board underlay that was on top of it took the brunt of the damage, I think.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
The closet flange that the toilet sets on there is cast iron, it's often welded? with lead and oakum to make a strong seal.

Just don't break the pipe it's connected too...if you do your fucked.

Here's a how to https://www.thisoldhouse.com/h...t-iron-toilet-flange

posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: I AIN'T DONE IT MYSELF. But I saw it done on "Ask This Old House".

It's an alternative to replacing the broken flange. You clean up the old flange and put in a wax ring, as if the flange were intact and usable. Then, you screw down this aftermarket additional flange onto the floor, sealing it to the original flange. Then, you attach the toilet to the aftermarket flange, which is all brand-new material.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DA...air-10672X/204403879

I'm sure other versions are out there.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
Disclaimer: I AIN'T DONE IT MYSELF. But I saw it done on "Ask This Old House".

It's an alternative to replacing the broken flange. You clean up the old flange and put in a wax ring, as if the flange were intact and usable. Then, you screw down this aftermarket additional flange onto the floor, sealing it to the original flange. Then, you attach the toilet to the aftermarket flange, which is all brand-new material.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DA...air-10672X/204403879

I'm sure other versions are out there.

That looks promising.... but doesn’t it raise the height too much?

posted Hide Post
Howdy,

If it were me,

I'd call a Professional Plumber and Pay him to do a proper job.

If something breaks and something goes wrong,

you may have to call anyway and the job will be more costly.

I know my limitations.

A lot easier, faster and the Wife is Happier.

When we moved into our present home, I had 3 toilets replaced with ADA taller ones.

Also had a refrigerator water line connected and a few other things.

All done in less than a day.

The money spent was worth the peace of mind with the Wife.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Your pipe coming up looks to be black ABS plastic schedule 40 pipe. The closet (Toilet) flange is glued onto the pipe. The rusted metal you see holds the closet bolts that bolts the closet down. If the 4 screws are not screwed securely to the floor when you tighten down the closet bolts it will pull up the flange to the base of the toilet and squeeze out all of the wax seal and wobble.
Is the inside diameter of the pipe 3" or 4"?
Is this bathroom piping accessable from below? Over a basement or crawl space?
Busting off the rusted metal will not help you much. It is all part of the flange/pipe that glues on.
First. Make sure the wood where you are going to screw the new flange into is solid. If it is not it needs replaced. If you are going to cut up the floor to replace the wood, you can cut off the flange and replace it.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have fixed many off these with a S.S flange that can be screwed right over the top of yours. I use 6-8 S.S 2" wood screws to secure it. They are available at Home Depot. Good luck!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Complete and proper replacement of the flange would invlove knowing:

1. What the soil pipe is made of
2. Cutting soil pipe below the floor
3. Adding new short section of soil pipe plus coupling to attach to old soil pipe and return to original height
4. Adding new flange that will properly attach to soil pipe (a lot are glued if pvc or abs soil pipe)
5. Properly reseating stool

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Step 1) Google
Step 2) Enter Search terms: How to Replace toilet flange (add terms as needed pvc, cast iron, etc)
Step 3) Watch a few different videos on the youtube
Step 4) Do what the guy in the video does

You can do this yourself with even the smallest amount of ability. No need for a plumber $$$$, this is pretty simple and straight forward.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
Your pipe coming up looks to be black ABS plastic schedule 40 pipe. The closet (Toilet) flange is glued onto the pipe.

Lots of info already in the thread is helpful.

Looks like renovation or new construction with a steel flange screwed right onto a sub-floor with drywall screws.

If there is zero movement on the flange, you can probably leave it. Maybe use the spanner flange system to reenforce and raise it. Or even a PVC flange spacer, the latter two assuming there is something worthwhile to screw into.

The flange usually sits on the finished floor. If you cut the floor open, you'll have loads of options.

If that was my job and the customer definitively said they want the flange removed and replaced, and the plywood was not to be touched, I'd 1] cut the pipe from below or with a rotary zip bit in a drill, 2] reenforce the deck from below with wood glued and screwed, 3] use a coupling to extend it with nice thick Sch 40 PVC,and 4] pack/pour a cast iron flange onto the PVC. Shoot a couple screws thru the flange into the newly braced deck.

Lot$$ of work when it may be fine, relatively speaking.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post