SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toshiba DVD/VHS recorder repair facility?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toshiba DVD/VHS recorder repair facility? Login/Join 
posted
I have a Toshiba DVD/VHS player-recorder that is malfunctioning. Toshiba doesn't seem to have a factory repair facility for their DVD products. Their website is terrible. The reason I would like to get this repaired is that it is no longer possible to buy new units with recording capabilities. Everything is just a player. The small shops that used to do this work don't seem to exist around where I live. Does anyone know of a good place I could send it or am I just out of luck?

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Gene....why on earth would you want to record to a VHS?

There are better, faster, and cheaper ways to make recordings of things--both from the TV/Cable and DVD.

If you want to record live television for later playback, get a DVR.

If you want to make copies of DVDs to view later, get a DVD burner for your computer, or just "rip" the data off of the disc and put it onto a USB stick.

If you really must make copies of live television onto a physical media, they make DVD recorders, though that technology is already on its way out.

Lastly, you can get a used DVD and VHS combo player on Ebay for about $50.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VHS is dead. Funai, the last company making them, ended production in 2016.

Magnavox sells a DVR/DVD combo. I ordered it from the Walmart website. You can record TV shows on the DVR and then if you want a hard copy you can burn it to DVD.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't concerned about the VHS side of my unit. It's the DVD side that is having the problem and needs the repair. I don't mind buying a new unit if that makes more sense than repairing the old one and I can get along without the VHS feature.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I would think you could pick up a new or used DVD player for way cheaper than what it would cost to get it repaired. A quick check of amazon brings up a Sony as their best seller, at $33.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a new Magnavox DVR/DVD player-recorder from Walmart. They are getting hard to find. Since Toshiba's repair service is so nonexistant this seems like a better way. Thanks for all suggestions.