SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycles, summers almost here anyone getting a new one or planning a cool trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycles, summers almost here anyone getting a new one or planning a cool trip Login/Join 
Picture of kg5388
posted
Planning a trip to visit a friend that moved to gulf shores Alabama for a week while camping on the bike.

Have many other rides planned to places like the rattlesnake saloon that is in a cave in Alabama and lochlow-min lake it Tennessee to scuba dive.

Have my passport book from the Tennessee state parks with all pages from the parks in West Tennessee stamped and Going to start visiting the central Tennessee parks and getting their pages stamped.

Rattlesnake saloon

Lochlow-minn

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
No trips planned. I'm just waiting for it to get over 50° and the wind to die down a bit.

Snowed most of the morning here. Frown

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I went to AZ over Easter weekend, rented a bike and went to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to AL checkout the Barber Motorcycle Museum, I haven't been there but pictures I saw on another board were awesome. The motorcycle ministry I ride with did a trip to Pigeon Forge TN last September and roads out there are perfect for bikes. Checkout Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley especially if you love Harley's.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still ass deep in snow, but planning two day trips:
Freda. In the western Yoop, to see the ruins of the stamp mill on the shore of Lake Superior.
Little Bohemia Lodge. Site of an FBI raid to capture John Dillinger.
Hurry, Spring!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just returned from a 6 day trip from Dallas to Key West and back. About 500 miles per day.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently have two 2013 Harleys, a Street Glide and an Electra Glide, ventured out on the 23rd of March to take each of them to the local dealer for state inspection. After each inspection, rode them to the local state office to pay the yearly tax along with picking up the required state license tag sticker. Made it a point to ride the interstate for several miles on the return trip home just to make sure everything was good to go.
Fast forward to the 29th, decided to ride the street glide to the local barbershop for a haircut. Had hardly made it out of the neighborhood, while sitting at a stop light, waiting for my turn to proceed right onto a major highway, when a Buick Rainier struck me from behind. The vehicle did not comes into contact with my body, nor did the bike go down.
Called the State Highway Patrol to have an accident report completed, while waiting on the SHP arrival I started to take pictures of the bike damage, the other vehicle, its tag, the driver and when I got to the front bumper of the Buick it was obvious this wasn't the first object the driver had struck. Both front corners of the bumper had damage (different color paints), the bumper skin had an additional three or four places where contact had occurred.
Anyway, feel lucky it wasn't any worst but I did receive the repair estimate yesterday from the dealership that indicated approximate repair cost will be in the $7000 dollar range.
So, no new bikes nor cool trips planned for the short term.

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently own two classic Honda Nighthawks, an 85 650 and an 86 700s which don't usually get a huge amount of miles per year, while my daily rider is a 1997 Honda Magna which I dearly love. I am really intrigued by the CB1100, especially the Deluxe model which is hard to come by although the standard model can be found locally for a very good price. Would really like to get rid of carburetors!! And would like to have radial tires as well. Just don't see it happening as my bikes are more guilty pleasures. Between my work schedule and camping with my family in the summer there is little time for much more than a few 4 hour ride at best, half hour of which is getting out of the city to roads worth riding on!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Well in February I bought a Kawasaki Versys X300 for a light weight standard motorcycle. It has a comfortable riding position, 5" suspension travel F&R, a 19" front wheel so it works well on gravel and dirt roads, and its 300cc twin cylinder engine is a little gem.

Last month when my 2014 BMW R1200GSA was at the dealership for a fork recall I kept looking at a 2016 leftover R1200RS sitting on the floor. I've always liked BMW RS riding position having owned a number of them in the past plus I have a Honda Africa Twin which somewhat duplicates the GSA
Long story short I traded the GSA on the RS gaining 2 years, going from 32,000 miles down to 25, and warranty through January 2021.

As far as trips I really don't have any planned yet. Maybe I'll get some ideas from you guys...

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The water cooled R12RS are nice bikes, I took one out for a spin while I was having my K16GTL serviced at Hermys BMW. BMW has done a good job bumping HP up to 125 and increasing torque on the boxer engines but not enough for me to buy one. I was looking for a second bike to complement my K16GTL and I almost bit on the RS but I was looking for lots more HP so I settled on a 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R. BMW's are nice but so darn expensive :-(

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a BMW ‘94 R1100RS in early February. 34k miles. Red, beautiful shape. Came with side cases, oil, spare filter, tools, tank bag, bike cover and boots!

Did an extremely careful adjusting of the valves and changed out the air tubes in the air box with a set from a GS. Smooth power, comes in just above 2k.

Scheduled to do a BMW rally to northern PA in July, traveling from southern PA. Looking into some touring in New England, Kentucky and Tennessee this year as well.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I ride locally (about a 200 mile radius) year round here. The only time I won't ride is when there's a possibility of ice on the roads. A few weeks ago I rode to work with the temperature at about 36 degrees and it was a nice enjoyable ride in except I don't wear a full face helmet so my face was pretty chilly.

This summer I'm taking the Triumph Rocket III Touring to Pike's Peak for a relatively leisurely ride to the top. I'll be staying in the area for a few days and hope to find some other nice routes to ride while I'm there.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
The water cooled R12RS are nice bikes, I took one out for a spin while I was having my K16GTL serviced at Hermys BMW. BMW has done a good job bumping HP up to 125 and increasing torque on the boxer engines but not enough for me to buy one. I was looking for a second bike to complement my K16GTL and I almost bit on the RS but I was looking for lots more HP so I settled on a 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R

I dunno this bike seems pretty darn quick and fast to me, it's the fastest bike I own and personally have no need for anything faster.

2015 BMW R1200R 0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.8. Top speed over 140 mph.

But like you say if that isn't enough BMW makes much faster bikes as do the Japanese.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Bought a BMW ‘94 R1100RS in early February. 34k miles. Red, beautiful shape.....
...Scheduled to do a BMW rally to northern PA in July, traveling from southern PA. Looking into some touring in New England, Kentucky and Tennessee this year as well.

Those are nice bikes and it sounds like you found a good one which you have well tuned. I bought a 1995 R1100RS back in 1995 (after a truck totaled my 1995 R1100GS) and rode that all around the U.S. selling it in 2000 with over 45,000 miles, it was great to ride and dead reliable.

I hope to ride up to the RA Rally in PA in July, maybe we can catch up? I love riding Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia too because their roads are well kept.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by calugo:
The water cooled R12RS are nice bikes, I took one out for a spin while I was having my K16GTL serviced at Hermys BMW. BMW has done a good job bumping HP up to 125 and increasing torque on the boxer engines but not enough for me to buy one. I was looking for a second bike to complement my K16GTL and I almost bit on the RS but I was looking for lots more HP so I settled on a 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R

I dunno this bike seems pretty darn quick and fast to me, it's the fastest bike I own and personally have no need for anything faster.

2015 BMW R1200R 0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.8. Top speed over 140 mph.

But like you say if that isn't enough BMW makes much faster bikes as do the Japanese.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Bought a BMW ‘94 R1100RS in early February. 34k miles. Red, beautiful shape.....
...Scheduled to do a BMW rally to northern PA in July, traveling from southern PA. Looking into some touring in New England, Kentucky and Tennessee this year as well.

Those are nice bikes and it sounds like you found a good one which you have well tuned. I bought a 1995 R1100RS back in 1995 (after a truck totaled my 1995 R1100GS) and rode that all around the U.S. selling it in 2000 with over 45,000 miles, it was great to ride and dead reliable.

I hope to ride up to the RA Rally in PA in July, maybe we can catch up? I love riding Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia too because their roads are well kept.

Pike's Peak is somewhere I want to ride one of these days, I've ridden close by but for whatever reason never rode up it.

Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Yes! As soon as winter retreats, around July 9th.

Seriously, in May I plan on heading to Virginia to pick up Skyline Drive then the Blue Ridge eventually making my way to Macon, Georgia to The Big House, AKA the Allman Brother Museum. All solo with only the fuel tank and bladder to dictate stops. Want to do this one before it gets too hot in the south.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ridewv - would really like making a connection at or before the Wellsboro, PA rally. If you are coming from the south we could meet and ride together for the rest of the trip north.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I love my VFR800, but I'll quickly admit it's not comfortable for long rides. The bulk of the miles I'll put on this year will come from commuting to work.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I've been starting to look for a more comfortable street cruiser. Until then I ride my 2003 KTM 450EXC that I have converted to supermoto with a 540kit and full sticky tires. It's a hoot to ride around town and if you can find some twisties. While it will easily go 100 on the highway it gets old really quick. It is just too light and no real protection from the wind. I have an aluminum rack on the back so I use it for quick trips to say the hardware store in summer.

At this point it looks like a few more weeks of cold weather before any real riding can take place.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Not me, I was all about horses, but my son-in-law is a very serious rider. He’s planning a July trip from Colorado to Barrow, AK

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:

Seriously, in May I plan on heading to Virginia to pick up Skyline Drive then the Blue Ridge eventually making my way to Macon, Georgia....

About 179 miles down the Blue Ridge Parkway from where it begins, at the end of the Skyline Drive, is a nice motorcycle campground to stay the night. In fact it's so nice I make it a destination a couple times a season. Friendly people, CLEAN, hot showers, and great riding all around the area. http://www.willvillebikecamp.com