SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone know why C Crane recommends against the use of lithium batteries in their radios?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know why C Crane recommends against the use of lithium batteries in their radios? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I have a C Crane CC Pocket, really a terrific pocket radio, takes two AA batteries. In its manual, C Crane advises the use of lithium batteries in their radios. Does anyone know why?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some Lithiums have a slightly higher voltage than other types of batteries. So I read anyway. The excess voltage may harm your radio.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Some Lithiums have a slightly higher voltage than other types of batteries. So I read anyway. The excess voltage may harm your radio.

This is what I understand as well. I've had to change to alkaline batteries for some electronic devices because the user guides say anything over 1.5 volts is no bueno, and a number of brands of lithium batteries can go up to 3.5 or a little higher.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with their product but a quick search says that some of their radios have a built in battery charger. Here's one thing I found:

Battery Power Level Indicator doesn’t show full charge when using
rechargeable batteries:
Rechargeable batteries will not show a full charge on your radios display. The
CC Pocket is calibrated to read the charge of your alkaline batteries, which is
1.5 volts at full charge. Rechargeable batteries, however, are fully charged at
just 1.25 volts, and so your radio will show a partial charge even if the
rechargeable batteries have been fully charged.

This is all I could find, have had almost zero small Lithium battery experience. I'm just now getting up to speed for H-D and their new Lithium motorcycle batteries. The chargers are different, they are now designed for Lithium and AGM battery use, from what I have read the old chargers for AGM batteries are not approved for use on Lithium. Another thing, the bike usage is very specific for certain years, from what I have found out the charging systems on many of the earlier bikes are not compatible with them, from what little I can find out it is due to the charging rate and alternator output.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I suspect the reason they caution against using lithium ion batteries has to do with the voltage issue as mentioned in previous replies.

While 14500 lithium ion batteries are roughly the same size as AA batteries, the nominal voltage ratings of most 14500's are generally between 3.6-3.7 volts. However, Fenix, among others, make a 14500 which is rated at 1.5 volts and thus is designed to be recharged only using a micro- USB port located near its button top.

You could undoubtedly use a this particular battery without harming the radio but I don't know that there would be any advantage to doing so.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Lithium or lithium ion?
Lithium ion is a rechargeable battery; ordinary lithium batteries like those sold under the Energizer name are not (as far as I know; I just throw them away when dead).

What are we referring to?

Added: I just checked a couple of unused Energizer “Ultimate” AA lithium batteries and voltages of both were 1.7 rather than the nominal 1.5. I would have thought that modern electronics would have some overvoltage tolerance, but perhaps that’s the issue.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Lithium or lithium ion?
Lithium ion is a rechargeable battery; ordinary lithium batteries like those sold under the Energizer name are not (as far as I know; I just throw them away when dead).

Added: I just checked a couple of unused Energizer “Ultimate” AA lithium batteries and voltages of both were 1.7 rather than the nominal 1.5. I would have thought that modern electronics would have some overvoltage tolerance, but perhaps that’s the issue.

I’m almost certain that the manufacturer is referring to lithium ion rechargeable batteries. Lithium batteries, as above, can reach around 1.7vfrom the box, but I’ve seen many an alkaline battery that starts out at 1.6v as well. I would be shocked if the radio cannot handle a slight increase in voltage from (theoretically) 1.5 to 1.7, or 3.0-3.4 if running in series. I’d call the manufacturer and have them clarify.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Reminded me of Art Bell and Coast to Coast.
I believed CC radios were advertised on his show.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Lithium or lithium ion?

I’m almost certain that the manufacturer is referring to lithium ion rechargeable batteries. Lithium batteries, as above, can reach around 1.7vfrom the box, but I’ve seen many an alkaline battery that starts out at 1.6v as well. I would be shocked if the radio cannot handle a slight increase in voltage from (theoretically) 1.5 to 1.7, or 3.0-3.4 if running in series. I’d call the manufacturer and have them clarify.

To paraphrase G Carlin - Consider how dumb the average person is, half of you are dumber than that.

There's enough confusion here, even when correct voltage, terminology & chemistry discussions are taking place, imagine how many ways someone could screw up a device that can't handle Li-ion rechargeables (3V+). "well, if I can use lithium, I can use Lithium-Ion....."

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m almost certain that the manufacturer is referring to lithium ion rechargeable batteries.

I’m not so sure. The Crane site also says not to use lithium, but rather alkaline batteries, and I must believe that if they were referring to lithium ion, that would be stated. Lithium ion rechargeable batteries have been around for a long time, but in AA size evidently only a couple of years or so. I suppose it’s possible the company is just being cautious in believing that the average consumer won’t know the difference between li-ion and a nonrechargeable lithium, and just says, “Don’t use lithium.” Interesting question that might become more common in the future if people start using the rechargeables when they shouldn’t.

Added: snidera and I had the same thought.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
If these radios are considered intrinsically safe (meaning that they’re safe for use in a hazmat area), then lithium batteries would render them “unsafe”. Other than that, I have no idea.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hairy2dawg:
lithium batteries would render them “unsafe”.

Energizer says their AA and AAA Ultimate lithium batteries are rated as intrinsically safe.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
quote:
Lithium or lithium ion?

To paraphrase G Carlin - Consider how dumb the average person is, half of you are dumber than that.

There's enough confusion here, even when correct voltage, terminology & chemistry discussions are taking place, imagine how many ways someone could screw up a device that can't handle Li-ion rechargeables (3V+). "well, if I can use lithium, I can use Lithium-Ion....."

I suppose CC may be hedging their bets on some knucklehead putting two Li-ion batteries, but ruling out batteries that are far and away superior to alkaline cells just doesn’t make sense to me (as a non-idiot that can tell the difference). I can think of a plethora of other high end products that trust their customers to both read and comprehend directions in the manual.

And if a slight over-voltage is the issue, why don’t they warn people to check their batteries with a multi-meter to make sure their alkaline batteries are not over the 1.5v threshold?

As I said, I have had MANY alkaline batteries fresh out of the box at 1.6- 1.62v. To suggest that the high end product can handle 1.5v but not 1.7v (or 3.0v but not 3.2v respectively if in series) makes even less sense from a business standpoint. If that were the case, returns would literally be piling up in the warranty department for burnt circuits over a measly .12 to .2 voltage differential.

Para, perhaps you should just buy some quality ni-mh rechargeable batteries. They barely reach 1.5v when fully charged and have far superior power density when compared to alkaline, and as a huge bonus, won’t corrode under normal usage and destroy your electronics. I don’t ever put alkaline batteries in something I can’t afford to toss in the trash if it goes south. The manufacturer does say they are acceptable for use and run times will blow alkaline out of the water.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I don't know but while lithium last the longest they're not really the best value.

as you can see from this test.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just checked a couple of unused Energizer “Ultimate” AA lithium batteries and voltages of both were 1.7 rather than the nominal 1.5. I would have thought that modern electronics would have some overvoltage tolerance, but perhaps that’s the issue.

I have an older Garmin handheld GPS that has known issues with brand new AA lithium batteries - it shuts down right after powering on. If I run the batteries down a little bit, they work fine. I suspect they're detecting a voltage out of their tolerance range and shut down to protect the device.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Energizer says their AA and AAA Ultimate lithium batteries are rated as intrinsically safe.

Lithium batteries are prone to venting or exploding if mistreated, especially in multiple battery applications. They aren't necessarily unsafe, but you can't just throw them in a device and go either.

-edit- That may not apply to Energizer and Duracell, but it does apply to the lowest common denominator yahoo that gets a cheap Chinese knockoff or counterfeit battery from Amazon and blows half their face off.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I was reading the Q&A section of a C.Crane Skywave radio on Amazon and the seller (C.Crane) states that lithium batteries may register higher than 1.6 volts, potentially causing damage.

I use lithium AA and AAA batteries in all of my devices because the Duracells have been leaking. Frustrating...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
quote:

Lithium batteries are prone to venting or exploding if mistreated, especially in multiple battery applications. They aren't necessarily unsafe, but you can't just throw them in a device and go either.

-edit- That may not apply to Energizer and Duracell, but it does apply to the lowest common denominator yahoo that gets a cheap Chinese knockoff or counterfeit battery from Amazon and blows half their face off.

I know that Li-ion rechargeables of various chemistry get the 'vent/explode' moniker, but do lithium primaries have that issue as well? I've never heard of it & it is a completely different chemistry.

As far a radio design, I'm clueless, but if 2x or 4x of AA in series causes a damaging issue due to ~0.2V/cell, your power conditioning circuit sucks (or more likely, is non-existent).

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Hey, a thread just for me Smile

Because it's a radio, somewhere on the back of the product or in the battery compartment, you will see, by federal law (CFR 47, part 15), an FCC logo and an FCC ID number (unless the product is too small, then the ID goes in the manual). (See "ETA" note below).

When you (as the radio product designer) apply for your FCC ID, they ask you pages and pages of technical questions. Some of the questions pertain to Power / Battery used during testing / evaluation. This testing includes "Electromagnetic Compliance" (EMC) testing among other things. If you EMC tested with "AA Alkaline," then you really should stick to that battery when selling the radio. Product Test time for EMC is expensive so they aren't likely to bother testing a bunch of battery types.

If you can find the FCC ID number, you can look up that number at the FCC.GOV website, and pull their technical report, to see if I'm correct. Wink

ETA: The FCC procedures are constantly changing, and the process for receive-only products have changed, and depending on when the product was designed, it may not have the FCC ID, but testing was still required for radios (including receive only devices) and everything else stated above remains true.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Agree with the high voltage issue. New lithium has 1.7 volts, New alkaline has 1.58 volts.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post