SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two Las Vegas men charged with theft of 60+ weapons and suppressors during SHOT show.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Las Vegas men charged with theft of 60+ weapons and suppressors during SHOT show. Login/Join 
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted
Wow, I can't imagine how they were released on thier own recognizance.

Two Las Vegas men charged with stealing more than 60 guns from SHOT Show

Gabriella Benavidez

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Two Las Vegas men were charged on Wednesday with stealing more than 60 firearms during the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show in January, court records show.

During the SHOT Show, Eduardo Limon, 28, and Jamikko Foster, 27, worked as forklift operators stole 65 firearms, including machine guns and silencers.

According to a criminal complaint, both men are facing federal charges possession of a stolen firearm and possession of an unregistered firearm. Federal prosecutors said Foster was facing additional charges of theft of a firearm from a Federal Firearms Licensee and unlawful possession of a machine gun.

Limon and Foster were both released based on their own recognizance, but were restricted from possessing weapons while out of custody, as ordered by U.S. Magistrate Judge Nancy Koppe.

Between Jan. 20 - 29, Foster and Limon stole from Remington Arms, Blaser USA, LKCI and Legacy Sports International, federal prosecutors said.

The list of weapons and accessories Foster and Limon stole included:

Glock pistolsAdvanced Armament silencers Sauer & Sons riflesRemington machine guns, rifles and pistols

"The SHOT Show, held annually at a Las Vegas convention center, requires FFLs to either disable or remove the firing pins from all displayed firearms," federal prosecutor said. "Based on these circumstances, [the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives] issued an alert to FFLs to be on the lookout for weapons missing firing pins."

On Feb. 10, a FFL alerted ATF about two men who inquired about purchasing a firing pin for an AR-style type rifle, prosecutors said. The men, identified in the criminal complaint as Limon and Foster, tried to purchase the pin at Gun Shop Las Vegas.

ATF agents were able to identify Limon and Foster after reviewing security footage, federal prosecutors said. Security video showed three people arriving and leaving Gun Shop Las Vegas in a black Chevrolet Impala.

While canvassing a neighborhood near the gun shop on Feb. 11, ATF agents located the Impala at an apartment complex, the criminal complaint said. An inspection of the license plate revealed the vehicle belonged to Foster. A search warrant was issued for Foster's residence and law enforcement found 56 firearms at his apartment.

On Feb. 12, a separate search warrant was issued for Limon's residence, where law enforcement found an additional 10 firearms and silencers, according to the criminal complaint. 

"One of the recovered pistols had a clamp attached to a security cable, which was still attached to the trigger guard," federal prosecutors said. If Foster and Limon are convicted, they will face a maximum penalty is 10 years in prison for each count.

Both men will also face a fine of $250,000.

Federal prosecutors emphasized the charges in the complaint are "merely accusations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law."

The case was investigated by the ATF Las Vegas Field Office and Las Vegas Metropolitan police.

To report a tip about stolen firearms contact the ATF at 1-888-ATF-TIPS (1-888-283-3473).

Link

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
And they are not a flight risk?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
WTF? ROR for stealing NFA items and guns. SMH.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
U.S. Magistrate Judge Nancy Koppe.

This sounds like a judge that is smoking crack,my thinking the law is clear and crimes like this should be taken serious.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But if you eat a grape in the produce isle without paying for it, you will get locked up and probably 1M in bail.......

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What - you don't think judges accept bribes from Union officials? Big Grin

Those two will probably never be seen or heard from again.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
ROR for stealing NFA items and guns.

Maybe she’s a new breed of judge who recognizes, like some of the rest of us, that suppressors are totally innocuous devices, and no more dangerous than a car muffler.
The guns, though … well, they were disabled by removing the firing pins, weren’t they? Wink

Be thankful that these two mental giants were the ones who stole the items. It isn’t always possible to solve a crime by driving around looking for a car in a security video.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Since when does someone facing 10 years, minimum, get ROR?

TMK, its not 10 years as a max for illegally possessing a machine gun, that's the minimum, isn't it?

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Feb. 10, a FFL alerted ATF about two men who inquired about purchasing a firing pin for an AR-style type rifle, prosecutors said.

We get flagged for basic spare parts now? This seems a bit odd.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Since all weapons on display at the SHOT show must have the firing pins removed the ATF figured those that stole the weapons would be looking to purchased firing pins so they sent out an alert to LGS to be on the lookout and report.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
On Feb. 10, a FFL alerted ATF about two men who inquired about purchasing a firing pin for an AR-style type rifle, prosecutors said.

I don’t think so. I’m sure the investigation initially indicated local residents were responsible for the theft. If you work under that assumption then it makes perfect sense to go to local gun shops and ask them to be on the lookout for anyone asking for that one specific part. I bet it is an unusual request... I don’t think many people buy spare firing pins and those that do probably typucallyborder online or are already known to the store they go to buy it from.

A stranger coming in interested in a single firing pin is, I imagine, an oddity.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
... the ATF figured those that stole the weapons would be looking to purchased firing pins so they sent out an alert to LGS to be on the lookout and report.

Yes, a good investigative technique. Not much different than advising pawn shops to be alert for certain stolen items.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having exhibited at these trade shows to include SHOT and OR for over 20-years, this is a mild surprise. Freeman is the contracted show management company who hires these guys. I would've expected a bit more security considering the type of show, however, I also understand you can't have eyes at all times in all places, there's just way too many areas to cover. After many years of doing set-up/tear-down, and dealing with show labor, you get an impression that the vast majority are failed contractors, lumpers or, convicts limited in employment. It's an interesting hierarchy of jobs which corresponds to general IQ, competence and general life decision making skills. The easy test of who was who, was see if they were dressed appropriately (work clothes, footwear, eye-pro, etc) and more importantly, brought their own tools.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

I don’t think so. I’m sure the investigation initially indicated local residents were responsible for the theft. If you work under that assumption then it makes perfect sense to go to local gun shops and ask them to be on the lookout for anyone asking for that one specific part. I bet it is an unusual request... I don’t think many people buy spare firing pins and those that do probably typucallyborder online or are already known to the store they go to buy it from.

A stranger coming in interested in a single firing pin is, I imagine, an oddity.

But still not even worlds close enough to probable cause to issue a search warrant. There has to be more information included in the warrant affidavit.
Including the registered owner being an employee of where Shot was held he worked during those days etc. etc.

If a judge issued a search warrant simply because someone came in wanting to legally purchase a firing pin for arguably the most popular firearm in the United States that is a VERY SCARY precedent.
Hopefully the writer just left out a ton of info for the affidavit.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What seems screwed up to me is how were these guys just released without having any bail set?

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
WTF? ROR for stealing NFA items and guns. SMH.

But don't forget, we need more gun laws to make us all safe. When we CATCH the bad guys, they let them free. But we need more laws.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Hopefully the writer just left out a ton of info for the affidavit.

As a very minimum we can pretty confidently assume that the ATF determined that the guy who owned the car also had the opportunity to commit the crime. Opportunity plus the unusual and specific attempt to purchase a firing pin for a stolen weapon may have been enough for the judge who issued the warrant. And in a case like this, it’s possible that someone might have been willing to lose the case on a flimsy warrant in exchange for recovering the weapons and silencers.

On the other hand, if that was the entire basis for the warrant it could have influenced the decision to release the subjects on their own recognizance: “Chit! The PC for this warrant was so weak that there’s no way they’ll be convicted. No sense in making them post bond.”

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Does anyone recall many years ago when Sig had a very high price safari type gun stolen from the Shot Show. I recall even like 5 years latter a large reward was being offered for info on theft.

It was a very high priced firearms with special engraving. I believe the firearm was valued over
$100,000 dollars.
Maybe close to 20 years ago.
Never heard if it was recovered.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
Does anyone recall many years ago when Sig had a very high price safari type gun stolen from the Shot Show. I recall even like 5 years latter a large reward was being offered for info on theft.

It was a very high priced firearms with special engraving. I believe the firearm was valued over
$100,000 dollars.
Maybe close to 20 years ago.
Never heard if it was recovered.

I remember that. I still have the photos on my phone. It's absolutely stunning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: texassierra,

NRA Life Patron

Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Yes that is the rifle I was thinking of. Not so sure of the number years past and the price value.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post