SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best dash/windshield sunshade?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best dash/windshield sunshade? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Hi guys! I'm looking for something one wouldn't think you'd need in western Pennsylvania in late October. I had some professional dash repair done on my 1998 E430 and I want to protect the dash from here on out. Is there a really good dash shade that you guys down south or out in the southwest like? I mean, I know they all reflect the light fine, but I'm assuming there's a good one that collapses well or is convenient in some way. Or durable?

You know,.. there's often a clear winner for a product type, and with these, I've no clue.

Pics of my dash repair! My old E430 is exceptionally clean and dialed in. Now one of the most telling blemishes is gone! Smile

Thanks!

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Go with these guys...

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/

Got one for both my Toyotas and they work GREAT!! No complaints whatsoever...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Not an endorsement and I have no actual experience with this product, but, as a whole, I've always had good luck with Weathertech products and they do make custom fit sun screens. Maybe worth checking out.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using the auto heat shield:
https://www.carprousa.com/The-...ucts-I-Endorse/a/937

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I use Cover Craft which is custom made for your vehicle. I am still using the one on my 1990 Chevy C2500.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sunscreens

For your car, they are $63 but heavy duty compared to other products.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Go with these guys...

Love the warning on the website: "Only Use Heat Shield when car is not in motion." Damn lawyers!

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I use a sunshade everyday on my daily driver. The best sunshade is the one that's convenient to use. For me, that means that it is small enough to store within reach of the driver; does not get in the way of passengers; and can be deployed and stowed from the seated drivers position.

The semi rigid folding shades fail all three of the requirements. You'll end up having to toss it onto the back seat to store, and may have trouble getting the far end to tuck.

I prefer the wire hoop and fabric design, and most specifically the two piece design that are not connected. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/EzyShad...lector/dp/B018ERRLU2

Small enough to fit in the door panel, or stuffed between the seat and the center console or in the seat back pocket. The two piece design makes it easier to stowed as it can be handled as two smaller pieces than having to make the first big awkward fold.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the double bubble silver one from Wal-Mart for the last 10 years here in Vegas. Works well for $7.99.
The edge is now getting frayed so I may have to get a new one.
It does make a huge difference.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on CoverCraft. If you are into it, you can select an exterior tint other than silver for something different or to better match you car colors. I think folding screens are easier to deal with than the rollups.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I prefer the wire hoop and fabric design, and most specifically the two piece design that are not connected. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/EzyShad...lector/dp/B018ERRLU2

They are cheap enough but not custom made for the shape of your windshield.

My folding Cover Craft fits between the seat and console on my truck. This may not work on some vehicles.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Go with these guys...

I second that emotion. (2015 Honda CR-V)

I stow it on the back-seat floor. I never have back-seat passengers, and it is not inconvenient (for me) to open the rear door and get/put it there.

The Cover Craft looks like a fine product. I think it would be difficult to use with my hand and arm disability.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Cover craft is the best I’ve seen. Custom sized by car, durable and very thick.

Way more substantial than those heat shield types.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I have a WeatherTech heat shade for my pick up and endorse it. It rolls up and has a strap with velcro for keeping it rolled.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The ultimate is the cab cover for trucks. I haven't checked to see if they make them for cars.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/...s/custom-cab-cooler/

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I use Weathertech here in the southwest.

Durable and rolls up.

I like the fabric and metal loop ones but just don't like to wrestle with them to put them away but they work. Just prefer Weathertech for durability, thickness of material.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Heatshield shade rolls up and secures with a velcro strap as well. Both my cars have "split" front seats and it's easy enough for me to reach between them to either place the rolled up shield in the back floorboard for storage or retrieve it from same.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
I have a WeatherTech heat shade for my pick up and endorse it. It rolls up and has a strap with velcro for keeping it rolled.

I have a WeatherTech shade for my 2017 Tundra. It’s the best fitting sun shade I’ve ever had. No gaps or areas it doesn’t cover. And while you can roll it up I prefer to fold it twice and it rides behind the passenger seat without issue and is easy to get to.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with WeatherTech

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I use a Covercraft brand custom fit. I don't see any reason to ever replace it. Fits great and rejects a lot of sun/heat down here in the armpit of the south. You won't be stuffing it down in the door pocket when not in use, but it's worth every penny.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I use Cover Craft which is custom made for your vehicle. I am still using the one on my 1990 Chevy C2500.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sunscreens

For your car, they are $63 but heavy duty compared to other products.

I have two of these, and after about 15 years of use they are holding up very well. All of the stiching is intact and tight, the deflective material is not cracking and the interior material is still soft.

They are semi-custom sized for the vehicle so the fit is nice, and the protective sleeve that came with them at the time were also very well made of a durable type of vinyl. Although a little dirty they are as good as new in terms of wear.

They are a little pricey, but they help to keep the car cool and it's a well made product.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They are expensive but the one on my truck is 29 years old and has some duck tape in a couple of places but still does the job.

The truck cab covers are great but I have not used mine much due to thieves. I have a wireless sensor over the garage watching the drive way and it sends a sign to a lamp.

I caught two kids looking for unlocked doors and chased them down the street. Nothing was done to them but the break ins on my street stopped and the word must have got around since some of the neighbors that I don't know waved when I drove down the street.

I watched several people looking over the cab cover in broad daylight and figured they would return so I took it off. I also had cats laying on top. They shredded the cover on my Corvette.

They actually stopped making the cab cover at one time.