SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Divorce/House appraisal question
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Divorce/House appraisal question Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I would supervise the appraiser the entire time. He might not be an appraisal at all and might be planting listening devices or camera's or who knows that.....or retrieving valuables the wife hid a while ago and forgot.......

Probably a Russian agent trying to gather information to help Trump get elected.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Several lawyers have already posted what I am going to say about what I experienced and what I was counseled on.

She does not want you there because of "power" issues.

If you are not there, no confrontations.

I went through all of this, and in spite of every effort I made to be cordial and non-threatening, I could not "make" my ex any less concerned for the thoughts in her head about it.

It is just how it goes.

If she were to use any listening devices or a PI (or this appraiser) to gather any information, laws of disclosure would not permit her and/or her attorney to simply use such information without you knowing about it.

It will be hard enough dealing with all the legitimate and "real" things in a divorce and putting on the Don Quixote suit and battling windmill dragons is a waste of your life.

You have addressed your concerns with your attorney, and you may get your own appraisal, and unless the judge/court has to do the distribution assessment, your attorney and her attorney will do the accounting analysis and you and she will agree to the "equitable split" anyway.

Plenty of time to address everything.

YMMV in your state, and circumstance.

Hope that helps.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
I would supervise the appraiser the entire time. He might not be an appraisal at all and might be planting listening devices or camera's or who knows that.....or retrieving valuables the wife hid a while ago and forgot.......

Probably a Russian agent trying to gather information to help Trump get elected.

Someone I know is currently getting a divorce because his wife is cheating, he couldn't put the GPS tracking unit on or in his wife's car because it's owned by the corporation she works for. He could and did put it inside the "new" child's car seat that he put in her car as it doesn't belong to the corporation she works for! The PI then uses the tracking device to locate her to get evidence on her (take pictures going in/out hotel, restaurants, etc.), You'd be surprised what people do in divorces as well as the technology you can buy over the counter these days. The GPS tracking unit costs $400 and the monitoring fee is less than $80 a month and shows up on your phone in an app real time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in because it happened to me.
First, if you're keeping the house, there is no reason to get it appraised. If you 2 were selling it, sure.
Second, call your lawyer. She probably has one correct? Lawyers handle this shit.
Tell her no appraisal until you have things sorted out in court or in front of your lawyers.
Third, if this does happen, be there. Ask for credentials from the person, call their office and if it smells bad, ask the person, politely of course, to leave.
Something isn't right here.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
An actual professional appraiser this is no issue. ...

+1. I wouldn't worry about at this time.
And as long as you get a copy, it shouldn't be a problem. Once you and your attorney get a copy, then you can decide if you need to get a second appraisal.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
First, if you're keeping the house, there is no reason to get it appraised. If you 2 were selling it, sure.
Second, call your lawyer. She probably has one correct? Lawyers handle this shit.
Tell her no appraisal until you have things sorted out in court or in front of your lawyers.
Third, if this does happen, be there. Ask for credentials from the person, call their office and if it smells bad, ask the person, politely of course, to leave.

Equitable division of property.
The house will need to be appraised, kept, transferred to the other spouse or sold. It's law.

(yeah, different states, different laws, but the crux of divorce is about separating two people who, by marriage, are seen as a "single entity", by the courts, becoming "two" and each entitled to the equitable distribution of assets and liabilities as it relates to time in the marriage, what may be considered "separate property" (not to be considered as marital assets) and any issues over "wasting" or the "wrongful taking" of assets, to include "hiding assets".

The extensive reporting of property, liabilities and assets, as well as all financial records for 3 or more years makes it very difficult to "game" anyone.

And pissing off a judge in such manner, will really screw up one's standing with the judge in any judgment.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who advise against trusting your about-to-be-ex, her lawyer, her appraiser, or her cat.

Be present at the inspection, and I'd advise having a trusted friend with you as well, or ask your lawyer to recommend somebody to accompany you.

Finally, make sure the appraiser you hire, and your lawyer, both understand the difference between appraised value and an actual selling price. In my limited Real Estate experience several years ago, appraised value, selling price, and a bank's valuation for a mortgage, are entirely unrelated. There's no point in settling for an appraised value that is unrealistic if you have to sell later for any reason.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd get my own appraiser to counter.

This is what I did several years back while in your situation. And it was worth it.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
gotchya, the idea of some stranger having access to my house freaks me out LOL, thanks fellas.

More precisely, a stranger selected and paid by a soon-to-be-adversary in a legal matter. In your situation, I would be there at his/her shoulder - my house, my rules. But that's me.

And, yes, I'd be getting my own appraiser and would offer to let her accompany them around. Fair's fair.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Put your own security cameras in the house! I've had 3 divorces, each one got messier than the last. CYA Marine!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
In addition to getting your own appraisal as many have suggested, you might want to consider asking several real estate agents to prepare comparative market analyses on the house. This document is intended to demonstrate a reasonable selling (and/or asking) price for the property based on the selling price of comparable homes in your area. A "comps" report might well be considered a more accurate estimate than even a professional appraisal.

Posts: 6453 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

Equitable division of property.
The house will need to be appraised, kept, transferred to the other spouse or sold. It's law.

(yeah, different states, different laws, but the crux of divorce is about separating two people who, by marriage, are seen as a "single entity", by the courts, becoming "two" and each entitled to the equitable distribution of assets and liabilities as it relates to time in the marriage, what may be considered "separate property" (not to be considered as marital assets) and any issues over "wasting" or the "wrongful taking" of assets, to include "hiding assets".

The extensive reporting of property, liabilities and assets, as well as all financial records for 3 or more years makes it very difficult to "game" anyone.

And pissing off a judge in such manner, will really screw up one's standing with the judge in any judgment.

Absolutely Monkey, but without his lawyer and her lawyer (if they have them) putting this together, it's a bad idea.
Maybe her lawyer told her to do this possibly. In any case, both parties must agree on things.
I sat down with my lawyer and she got her car (even though it was in my name), I got my car and then we divided things up. The house was a different story.
I was going to keep it and the loan had both of our names on it. There was a clause that if the house was ever sold, she was due a certain percentage.
Of course when you sell, it gets appraised and inspected. I did end up selling it and moving back to my home state. The percentage agreed upon in the divorce settlement was paid to her.
I still think this should be a no go until he gets representation and things are agreed upon.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a neighborhood that is active with sales, there will be a range of values.

As her appraiser he will pick the 3 highest reasonable comps to give the house the highest reasonable value.

Your appraiser will pick the lowest 3 reasonable comps to give it the lowest reasonable value.

In both cases its just a guess what the house would sell for at that moment.

Be sure to get one done for you and tell the appraiser what it is being used for.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
In addition to getting your own appraisal as many have suggested, you might want to consider asking several real estate agents to prepare comparative market analyses on the house. This document is intended to demonstrate a reasonable selling (and/or asking) price for the property based on the selling price of comparable homes in your area. A "comps" report might well be considered a more accurate estimate than even a professional appraisal.

What do you think an appraiser uses?

Appraisers don't use real estate agents to provide comps. They are almost always associate menbers of the local MLS, have access to listing data, as well as official records, deeds etc that show transactions. Many states charge a transfer tax based on selling price shown in the deed, and a careful appraiser often calls the brokers or parties to verify the terms. They also have access to property tax records.

Armed with these facts, they then make adjustments for size, location, quality, condition and other factors relevant in their professional judgment. It then becomes a SWAG instead of merely a WAG!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The valuation aspect has been covered.
From the security aspect I'd insist on being present and I'd have an independent third party present as well. Basically a witness to make sure no crazy accusations can be made by her or her appraiser.
No way I'm giving unsupervised access to my home in this situation. More out of principle than anything else.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember, when you sell a home there are closing costs and realtor fees. Those need to be deducted from the anticipated proceeds when determining equity.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

What do you think an appraiser uses?

Appraisers don't use real estate agents to provide comps. They are almost always associate menbers of the local MLS, have access to listing data, as well as official records, deeds etc that show transactions. Many states charge a transfer tax based on selling price shown in the deed, and a careful appraiser often calls the brokers or parties to verify the terms. They also have access to property tax records.

Armed with these facts, they then make adjustments for size, location, quality, condition and other factors relevant in their professional judgment. It then becomes a SWAG instead of merely a WAG!

Amen JALLEN! A Broker Price Opinion (BPO) is one of the lowest value opinions in the spectrum. I use the term value opinion all the time in analysis at work and it used to piss my old boss off. When I told her appraisals, evaluations, etc. were value opinions and just that and actual values were yield driven (same with cap rates), she shut her yap.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Another thought....

If ex requires that you not be present, it might be a good idea to require that she not be present.

If court proceedungs are underway, the court can make an order with this and any other matters that need attention.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'd be surprised what people do in divorces as well as the technology you can buy over the counter these days. The GPS tracking unit costs $400 and the monitoring fee is less than $80 a month and shows up on your phone in an app real time.

I wouldn't be surprised, since I handle divorces every day of the week.

Divorce is a significant part of my practice. There is so much crazy advice and misapprehension of what an appraisal is and why and when you need one in a divorce in this thread that I wouldn't even know where to start. (Not to mention generally wrong ideas about a lot of things that happen in divorces.)

I don't want to call anyone out in particular, but about half the things people have said in this thread are either flat wrong, half wrong, or meaningless without context. Any divorce lawsuit is a complicated event, and most people, even lawyers who don't handle divorce, know almost nothing about it.

Go by what has been said here at your peril.

When involved in a divorce, use the lawyer (she is the one with the law license and years of experience), not what your friends and the internet tell you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post