SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ALWAYS Keep a Record...ALWAYS!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ALWAYS Keep a Record...ALWAYS! Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I work as an engineer at a Gov installation. I took a Temp position to get a rather large boost in pay and it was extended 3 times because they did not want to lose me. I got pushed back to my old position due to a new looming pay system along with all other Temps. However, I had been in this position for well over 18 months. If you are in a Temp for longer than one year, they cannot reduce your pay when returning to your old position. About two months pass, a bunch of HR screw ups and the place I had been working as a Temp hires me permanently full time. I accept the job and am told by HR that they will workout the pay issue once I am brought on board. Keep in mind, my butt NEVER leaves the office where I was a Temp, even after getting pencil whipped back down to my old position and my duties did not decrease, but increased.

I had sent numerous emails, tried calling HR, etc. NEVER got a response. I cc'd my supervisor and our division chief on the emails too so I would have witnesses. Now, 7 months later after our Colonel and GS-15 get involved does this get resolved. I had a paper trail at least an inch thick, documented everything and had developed a timelines of events and had copies of all my personnel records. The result...a check this Friday in excess of $10K with over $6K in back pay and my salary permanently increased by nearly $10K. Best of all, I am now exceeding the same salary I was making back in 2009 in the private sector. That was a long hard crawl.

LESSONS:
Do your due diligence whenever it involves money, property, legal matters, etc. Create a trail via email, snail mail, whatever you have to do to get a record firmly established and note exactly who and when you provided the information. The more details you can provide the better.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3628 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Always keep records within the federal government for your protection.
I kept all kinds of my records and of all my employees.
I was a WS15. CYA.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post