SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SigForum docs, I have a question. Cough meds: yay or nay?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SigForum docs, I have a question. Cough meds: yay or nay? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had a lingering cough and cold in February. I did well on Mucinex during the day and Niquil at night. For me, it was important to be drugged enough to sleep well so that I wasn't totally miserable during the day. With enough sleep, I can endure most things. Add sleeplessness and illness and I don't do well.

Take the drugs.

BTW - my SIL and her mom are anti modern medicine. My brother is a nurse and he'll take just about anything. It's a odd marriage, but it works.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A home remedy that I've used is to crush and dissolve a real 325 mg aspirin in a cup of quite warm to hot water. Stir well, gargle well, and swallow. That will ease the throat ache.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Go see your regular doc. You'll probably get a cough syrup with codeine. Your throat may be too irritated to heal, you've got to stop the cough.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

lol they don't give out that stuff like they used to a dose of that and a shot you sleep like a baby

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Lick a frog's belly from right to left, while standing on one leg, facing south and winking your left eye, during the second quarter phase of the moon, roll it in a whole wheat tortilla, feed it to the first dog you see.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That sounds entirely organic, sigmonkey. I'll suggest it to Mrs.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I find different people have different results with OTC cough medicines. They don't all work. When you have gone days with no relief then it is time to move up in strength and codeine works well. I have a preference though and will ask the MD to prescribe Tessalon Perles. No codeine but I find that the benzonatate suppresses the cough reflex well.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'd follow the doc's advice including the cough medicine, presumably a narcotic. If you're having a painful cough, you're not going to sleep without some extra help.

And oh yes, Go Hokies!

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Very nice to hear from you, Dr. T!

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take it to get a decent night's sleep. Some coughing is good-- clears out mucous. I usually only Rx non narcotic cough medicines, but for either tell my patients to use it for obtaining some decent rest.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I was stuck on a flight once and over the course of about 2 hours got hit by a horrible cold - sore throat, cough, the whole 9 yards. I had no cold medicine with me. Made a hot toddy with hot water, a pack of sugar (no honey on the flight) 2 wedges of lemon and a 50 ml bottle of Maker's Mark. It's the only thing that got me through the rest of the flight.

When cold men's are available, I am a big fan of Mucinex-D.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Mike, I like your suggestion. At the risk of derailing my own thread, would you like to recommend a particular whiskey? (I know dirt about whiskey. So far.)

For a cough I reccomend a smooth Canadian whiskey. Crown will do in a pinch. Canadian Club maybe. The nuances of the more complex sippin Whiskeys are lost when you are hacking.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post

All you need to know...

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Opioid cough syrup WORKS.

But it's next to impossible to get a Dr to prescribe it these days.

I haven't had a bad, post nasal drip, all night cough for a year or two...but when I do, that stuff is the only thing that will let me sleep.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Way back when, both my wife and I had the worst cough of our lives, I think from influenza. We were prescribed Hycomine. I think that's the first narcotic high I ever experienced. Funny, it didn't work so well after a while.... Big Grin

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I do not agree with your wife. Btw, thank your doctor for not prescribing antibiotic like candy.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Way back when, both my wife and I had the worst cough of our lives, I think from influenza. We were prescribed Hycomine. I think that's the first narcotic high I ever experienced. Funny, it didn't work so well after a while.... Big Grin

I have to admit, I LOVED Hycomine HC (as in synthetic heroin and codene. I got it back about 1979 the fist time, when I had the worst cough I ever had. I went to work and by the time I finally left, my eyes were cherry red, I had a nose bleed, and I would grab my head every time I coughed from the pain, and go, "Uhhhharggg!". The doctor gave me the script and I remember it was a big bottle for like $7. I took it as soon as I got home and the cough stopped instantly, and the hallucinations soon began. The first thing I saw was huge bugs on my walls, all different colors. I found this beyond amusing. Then came the sensory distortions, my yellow Lab Joe's muzzle looked to be about 6 feet long with tiny eyes way back there. When I stood up, I seemed to be about 20 feet tall, my feet appeared tiny. This was scary for a minute or two, but eventually, I thought this was funny too. I found that I could get all the effects of the syrup, no cough, the hallucinations, etc, by taking less than half the normal dose. It was a fun week. About a year to the day after I got it the first time, I got it again. The third and last time I had the horrible broncitis, I got the "revised" Hycomine, worked great, but no more hallucinations and/or distortions. The "real stuff" is supposedly still available in Canada, but it's banned in the US. Bastards!

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and get some mild stool softener pills to have on hand.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your body can't kick something in a week, it's time to go to the doctor and get a prescription because you're not going to get better. Not to mention you don't want to go around infecting other people. Wholistic methods are great and all, but the average age people lived to was only into their 30's until modern medicine came along.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Definately meds. I had a friend not take anything for 3 weeks. Lungs got infected and filled with crap near to the top. It required surgery and he could have easily died as is O2 level was below 90%.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I agree with your wife. After all, just look at how much higher life expectancies were when doctors only knew how to brew tea and drill holes in your head.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post