SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SigForum docs, I have a question. Cough meds: yay or nay?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SigForum docs, I have a question. Cough meds: yay or nay? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
For about two weeks now, I've been fighting what seemed to be either Springtime allergies or a cold. Last week was spent cooped up in a training room with 20 other people, half of them hacking and wheezing all over the place.

This week has brought me a cough that will take me to my knees. Crud's coming up, and that's good, but it's gotten to the point where it hurts to cough now. My short-term solution was a bag of Hall's drops, even just to fight it so I could sleep.

Mrs is not totally anti-Western medicine, but she and her dad put a lot of stock in the earthy / healthy / organic / greenie sort of healings. She made me some good echinacea tea yesterday, and put some fresh orange and organic honey into it. Good stuff, easy on the throat, but doesn't solve the problem.

Today I threw in the towel and went to the local express care shop. (Express? Not so much... plenty of patients, not enough Doc. Anyway....) Doc tagged it as allergic bronchitis and gave me a steroid, an inhaler, and some heavy duty (as in, hand-deliver-the-scrip-to-the-pharmacy) cough medicine for nighttime. "Thank you very much," says me!

Mrs called to check on me, and I told her what I've just told you. She launched into me about how the cough meds aren't going to help, will just make it worse, and so forth. Then a bit about the organic goods, and perhaps I should call her dad and talk with him. I politely declined, pressed the mute button, ranted for a moment, and then resumed the call.

The way I see it, this stuff will quell the cough so I can sleep. Win-win! Mrs does not agree.

So. Back to the question. "Cough suppressant: good, or evil?" And why?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
It is pretty easy to tell someone to suck it up and endure the pain when it not them who is afflicted…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I typically use Mucinex-D to get me through the day when I have a cold/cough/congestion shit.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
It's not just a suppressant, it is likely also an expectorant to help move that crap out of your airways.

Where did you wife get her medical degree?

Takes your damn medicine and get well. You paid good money for that care, now use it!

Hope you get better.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
It's not just a suppressant, it is likely also an expectorant

Boom! There's the point I should have made!

quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Takes your damn medicine and get well.

Oh, I'll be taking it, even if I have to sneak to the garage like a closet alcoholic!
And thank you for the kind wishes. Two weeks of this is more than enough.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a doctor, but when I get a serious cough, the hand deliver script kind is all that will let me sleep. Take it as directed and get better.

A serious cough, even one that is due to allergy, crud, bronchitis,etc. is not to be taken lightly. I once coughed so long and hard that the area where the ribs attach to the breast bone became inflamed and each cough was extremely painful. I called my doc, apologized for being a wuss, and asked about it. He said don't apologize, he's had folks thinking it was a heart attack.

Short answer, see a professional and take your meds.

On the holistic side though, the wife and I have found that about a tablespoon of local honey per day reduces the allergies. I used to get allergy reactions that would lead to drainage that would lead to upper resp infections and the cough you described.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Go see your regular doc. You'll probably get a cough syrup with codeine. Your throat may be too irritated to heal, you've got to stop the cough.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Whiskey

Once every 15 minutes

Repeat until you feel better

Then every 1/2 hour

You're welcome

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Mike, I like your suggestion. At the risk of derailing my own thread, would you like to recommend a particular whiskey? (I know dirt about whiskey. So far.)

God bless America.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Mike, I like your suggestion. At the risk of derailing my own thread, would you like to recommend a particular whiskey? (I know dirt about whiskey. So far.)

Hahaha

I prefer The Macallan, it's about $70 a fifth and not for getting drunk on.

You can try anything for getting drunk.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Very good. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by dbuck47:
On the holistic side though, the wife and I have found that about a tablespoon of local honey per day reduces the allergies. I used to get allergy reactions that would lead to drainage that would lead to upper resp infections and the cough you described.

I'm down with local honey. No problem there!

God bless America.

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
We've never had sore throats that weren't helped by 50/50 honey and vinegar. Dark chocolate brings some relief if you let it melt in your mouth before swallowing.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
take the meds, and the tea they're not going to act upon one another and the tea usually helps some.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Doc tagged it as allergic bronchitis and gave me a steroid, an inhaler, and some heavy duty (as in, hand-deliver-the-scrip-to-the-pharmacy) cough medicine for nighttime. "Thank you very much," says me!

And there you are.

You gave the old wives' tales stuff a couple weeks already - how was that working out?

quote:
"Cough suppressant: good, or evil?" And why?

I am not a doctor, but you already got a doctor's advice face to face. I'll go with that. Cough meds can be overkill but again, what you got prescribed was what a doc thought was best, after examining you.

Getting some rest is a good thing.

If it'll make the macrobiotic wholistic naturopatic folks happy, print up some "100Mg Kale" labels and stick them over the prescription med label. That'll lern 'em! Wink

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Go with the one with a medical degree. Doctors aren't perfect, but they know more than most of us.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
As another member advised, take your meds. I moved to a different state a few years ago. For the first 3 years I would have upper respiratory infections kick in about 3 times a year. Never had them before, I'm usually a pretty well person. Sounds like what your having. I've never had allergies before but doc says I have them now.

When sick a round of steroids, take them Exactly as described (a build up of dose then a build down). Mucinex - D and antibiotics.

Since all this started he also ended up putting me on Flonase and Singulair. Both for allergies. Well I didn't use them as often and during the time periods he suggested. So I continued to get sick as above.

I have in the past two years started the Flonase and Singulair as suggested during the months the doc suggested and I have had no infections or issues since then. Two years of no doc visits for respiratory issues. Doc also prescribed an inhaler. Advised to use it whenever I cut the yard, dust, vacuum and such. Only as a pre med before exposure. Not as a daily use. Also to use a dust mask when doing all those task. It has helped.

So yes take your meds. Also talk to your doc about some maintenance meds during the allergy seasons.

Get well. And WalMart has a generic OTC for Mucinex. It's 1/4 the price. It works I have used and compared the two. I use it instead of Mucinex.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been said before: "Take your damn medicine and get well. You paid good money for that care, now use it!"
Use it before you get into a coughing spasm you can't stop and need an emergency room trip to get it stopped.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
When I have severe allergies I cough a lot. Vicodin, and codeine are the only two things that worked.

But they are harder to get these days.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
Been said before: "Take your damn medicine and get well. You paid good money for that care, now use it!"
Use it before you get into a coughing spasm you can't stop and need an emergency room trip to get it stopped.

Very true.
I lit into a coughing fit in the waiting room this morning... about three coughs in, I went outside (so as not to freak out everybody else in the room). As I leaned against the column, squatted and wheezing, a voice came from behind my left shoulder: "Hey!"

My first thought: "Oh, crap."

The voice continued. "Here. I had that a couple of weeks ago. I know what you're facing." It was one of the ladies from the waiting room, handing me a starlight mint. It wasn't a Hall's drop or codeine cough meds, but it was a wonderful gesture and a huge (though temporary) help.

God bless America.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've tried a few couch meds over the years. None have done much for the ouch but the ones with codeine at least helped me sleep instead of couching all night long.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post