SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spy shots new Corvette C8
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spy shots new Corvette C8 Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Link

New Mid engine Corvette on the horizon for Chevrolet.

Lots of images at the link

Prototypes for a mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette have been spotted again, and the latest testers are wearing the least camouflage gear we've seen yet. In fact, most of the new car's final details, including the interior, can be seen.

The prototypes are for the next-generation C8 Corvette due out this summer as a 2020 model, specifically a base variant. The C8 was originally expected for 2019 but then Chevy went and launched the C7 ZR1.

Even so, that's still a relatively short lifespan for the C7 Corvette which first arrived for 2014. The reason for the quick changeover is because General Motors had started work on a mid-engine design for the C7 but ended up scrapping the plans in the tumult of the 2009 bankruptcy, with the C7 we ended up with being somewhat of a placeholder.
Looking at the new shots and video of prototypes, we see can see that the C8 will be similar in size to the C7 but with a lower, wider stance. It won't get vertical-lifting doors of many exotics, though it looks like there will be a short front overhang. Flanking the engine bay looks to be a pair of chunky buttresses and we’re told designers will add a sheet of glass in the center to show off the engine (it's concealed here). One of the biggest challenges is thought to be heat management. We can also see a rear-facing camera that feeds images to a digital rearview mirror inside (there's also a digital instrument cluster) and what also looks to be dual-caliper brakes at the rear.

The new Corvette won’t be a pricey limited edition supercar like the modern Ford GT, though. We hear the basis for the car’s mid-engine platform will be the C7’s aluminum spaceframe structure rather than a completely new design. As for powertrains, the base model shown here should come with the C7 Corvette Stingray's 6.2-liter V-8 delivering about 500 horsepower. Later, a 5.5-liter V-8 with a flat-plane crank and DOHC design is expected to be dropped in, complete with about 600 hp. Then, a twin-turbocharging option for this engine could surface, seeing output rise to 800 hp.

But wait, there's more. At the top of the heap is expected to sit a hybrid—yes, a hybrid Corvette—powertrain adding an electric motor to the front axle and utilizing the twin-turbo V-8 for the rear axle to generate a hypercar-rivaling 1,000 hp.

Rendering based on the spy shots.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Eat Mor Chikin?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
July 18th is the official reveal date. I'm excited Smile...

Posts: 900 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new Corvette won’t be a pricey limited edition supercar like the modern Ford GT, though.

How Much Will It Cost?

A new report from Hagerty says the C8 Corvette will start at around $60,000 to $70,000. Considering the current Corvette Stingray starts at $55,900, and the range-topping ZR1 is a relative performance bargain at $118,900, a $60,000 starting price sounds reasonable. Prices for the mid-engined Corvette vary wildly, though, depending on reports.

Some say the C8 Corvette could cost as much as $170,000. But, our best guess is that only high-end models will hit the six-figure mark. With a range of engine options, it's possible those numbers could represent both a starting price and a range-topping option, but we'll have to wait for confirmation from Chevy to be sure.

https://www.motor1.com/news/25...-everything-we-know/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Looks like an Acura NSX. I’m a Corvette fan but that is hideous.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
It looks great, just not like a Corvette.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read an article not too long ago about GM having problems with the aluminum frame having cracks causing delays. Take it they worked that out?

And I agree, it does have a NSX look to it. Along with some Italian styling. I still think the stole the headlights from a 360 Stradale a model or two ago. Not that I'm in the market, but I'd grab a 911 over a Corvette.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
welp father's day is coming up kids

Daddy like !

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Looks like an NSX/Aventadore/Stradale hybrid. I really like it.

It may not 'look like' a Corvette, but it isn't 1967 anymore.

And, it's about time - they have been teasing a mid engine Vette for decades.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Looks awesome. I agree it loses a lot of the corvettes heritage, but sure looks like a performer...

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
They should have made it a Buick instead. I only say that because there is no more Saturn brand.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
It looks great, just not like a Corvette.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don't know, it seems like they want an American Ferrari now and not a Corvette.

The very newest ones already look very Ferrari-like to me and not like Vettes. Frown

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is time for a NEW VETTE and not a continual re-hash of the old vette......like what Porsche keeps doing.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I'll reserve judgement. First of all, there's no telling what that camo is covering up. Little touches make huge differences in whether it looks good or bad.

Second, I hated every single shot I saw of the C7 before it came out. Once I saw them on the road though, I ended up thinking they actually did a really good job with it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge fan of the new look, but I guess time marches on. The C4 wasn't exactly a classic look, either.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. Clean design.

I have a friend who worked for an OEM suppler. He told me more than a year ago that one of the reasons for delay of production was sound. The car was too loud.

Looks good but the prices will have to climb.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You have to hand it to GM that they are planning to still make this super car affordable, as opposed to the price-is-no-object Ford GT.
Interesting that GM is showing us the innovation, Ford dwelling in the past.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
like what Porsche keeps doing.

Never been a fan of the Corvette since the 60's models, but looking forward to seeing what they manage with this one. It is, even in C7 form, an unquestionable performance bargain.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always had a problem with conflating with what the car rags say it is gonna be and then the actual vehicle specs.
I certainly hope it looks like that.

Make it count

Posts: 1411 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post