SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Common Sense Does it exist today? Automotive edition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Common Sense Does it exist today? Automotive edition Login/Join 
posted
Common Sense the ability to use good judgment in making decisions and to live in a reasonable and safe way. cambridge dictionary

Maybe I'm more observant than I used to be but common sense seems lacking today.

Car stopped on side of interstate, someone beside car. Driver does move over, just drives by closely at freeway speed.

Heavy snow, fog. Driver does not turn car lights.

Someone mowing/working on edge of residential street. Driver does move over and passes close to person.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Common sense is MIA in much of our population these days. Not only among car drivers, either.

I see cars screaming past me at speeds well in excess of 70MPH (speed limit of 55), weaving in and out of traffic, intervals between cars often less than one car length. About half of the drivers doing this silly shit have eyes glued on the damned smart phones as well. Maryland made it illegal for the driver to use a handheld phone while driving. Virginia tried but that asshole McAwful vetoed it.

Guess schools, parents, forgot about real teaching what young people need to know these days. You know, ice on the roads means you should slow down, no you should not eat those tide pods, those speed limit signs are NOT suggested minimum speeds.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought they there are some people that would benefit from working in a Emergency Room and waiting room and witness the families as they experience the denial, hardship, disability and sorrow that comes from people doing stupid shit and sometimes from not doing anything wrong at all.

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Driving with no lights well after sunset or in bad weather.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Jogging down the roadside in black clothing between dusk and dawn.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting assignment for new drivers that have speeding tickets would be two hours in an emergency room, keeping record of the injuries admitted.

Probably good for drunk drivers too, after 24 hours in the local lock up.

Notes/diaries need to go along to the court, to be explained to the Judge, before driving privileges can be reinstated.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Common Sense is gone.

Just the other 'night' as in completely dark, snow covered roads and now snowing again... I see a guy riding a bicycle on the highway, going the other direction.

Only markings or lights was his head lamp. Nothing on the back to alert drivers he was on the road.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I have lived in several different states. When I moved to California, I was amazed at how pedestrians seemed to be daring drivers to run over them! I quickly found out why: The pedestrians have the right of way in this whacky state.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall: Car stopped on side of interstate, someone beside car. Driver does move over, just drives by closely at freeway speed.

An interesting observation here in Washington state when I travel monthly back and forth from one side of the state to the other. On the west of the mountains the drivers do not move over to give room to cars stopped on the shoulder ... on the east side of the mountains they do. Always wondered why the difference.

Blue on the West, Red on the East? Perhaps fewer people, less close quarters is the reason.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Left lane camping. Had to drive through California last week and was amazed at the number of idiots that get in the left lane and just stay there. Mile after mile, never moving. Meanwhile traffic passes them.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I did 32 yrs on the cop job, over twenty of it on the MT Hwy Patrol as a road Trooper. I have seen just about every possible form of idiocy involving vehicular travel, imaginable.

Failing to SLOW down (and MOVE over if safer) while passing an accident scene , construction workers on the roadway, a person trying to change a tire, etc.

We are currently going through a real rash of Trooper's vehicles being struck while at accident scenes. Talking ALL emergency lights activated, off to the side of the road, etc. Yet STILL get hit by some idiot.

We have had a few injuries, but thankfully no deaths yet.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
No common sense or really just basic safety. Friday entering a 30 mph active school zone from a 45 mph zone. Dude rides my ass trying to get me to go faster while giving me dirty looks. Seriously, this guys world was collapsing because I would not speed through a school zone.

What is someone like that thinking?

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Brakes so far into metal that they grind through the rotor, the pad falls out and the piston(s) blow out of the caliper, dumping the fluid. Wheel bearings so completely wiped out that the car can't even roll. Did they not hear the noise they were making??

Bald tires. One car in particular I remember had a baby seat in it. At the time there was no baby in it, but you know the idiot was driving on those tires in that car with a baby. That does not sit well with me. At all. Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post