SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATL Charter School ditches the Pledge of Allegiance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATL Charter School ditches the Pledge of Allegiance Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Charter schools are often fucked up...as a former charter school teacher, I doubt I’d send my kids to one.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Option and choice...blah blah blah...the same teaching philosophy does not apply to all teachers...we all have our own backgrounds that we use to teach...

You try and teach a class that is engaging without including your own experience and personality.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
WTF is a Wolf Pack Chant?

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Maybe they're Confederates?

The Confederates understood the meaning and value of the Constitution better than any of todays political parties.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
When it comes down to it, how can you make the teaching style uniform among all teachers? Not possible.

This is where civics and good parenting come in.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.ajc.com/news/local...cXbFz4cNy2PQA8vKPJI/

School reverses Pledge of Allegiance policy after criticism

An Atlanta charter school moved the timing of its recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance as the school year started, but reversed course after the move attracted criticism.

The Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School’s early all-school meeting of students and parents had traditionally included the pledge, until this year. Elementary campus principal Lara Zelski notified parents that the pledge was being moved to classrooms because of concerns from some parents and students.

She explained: “Over the past couple of years it has become increasingly obvious that more and more of our community were choosing to not stand and/or recite the pledge. There are many emotions around this and we want everyone in our school family to start their day in a positive manner. After all, that is the whole purpose of our morning meeting.”

She proposed creating a school pledge for the all-school meeting based on “students’ civic responsibility to their school family, community, country and our global society.”

Not all parents were in agreement with the move, after they found out.

An early morning online news headline said the pledge had been eliminated from the morning ritual. The story mentioned moving the pledge to a later time, but political news sites seized on the word “elimination” in the headline, attracting backlash, and the school's reversal by the end of Thursday.

Georgia House Speaker David Ralston, R-Blue Ridge, weighed in, praising the Pledge of Allegiance's tenets and ending with, “I’m sure our House Education Committee will examine whether taxpayer funds should be used to instill such a divisive ideology in our students.”

By about 6:15 p.m., the school issued a statement saying it's policies were aligned with those of the Georgia Department of Education but " … it appears there was some miscommunication and inconsistency in the rollout. Starting next week, we will return to our original format and provide our students with the opportunity to recite the Pledge during the all-school morning meeting."

The state DOE policy demands that schools set a time for the pledge, each school day, at the beginning of the school day or during the homeroom period. But students may not be compelled to recite the pledge, it adds.

Districts across metro Atlanta abide by both aspects of the policy - doing the pledge and giving the right to not participate.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Making children recite the pledge has always given me pause. I just don't think we should be forcing young children that don't understand the meaning behind the pledge to recite it every morning.

Maybe after a certain age and once they've studied it in a history class or something, but I still think reciting it every day is too much. Maybe on the first Monday of the month or something, but not every day.

This makes no sense. We force kids to do all kinds of things they don't understand the meaning of. The pledge teaches them honor and tradition. When I was teaching in a public school, the pledge was played every morning, but the kids were NOT required to stand for it. Some did. So I checked with the admin staff and asked if the morning pledge could be graded as a class "participation" event. They said yes. After the grades were posted for the first semester, and many were failing due to their lack of "participation" every morning.... some got religion.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Its never too early to help children understand what a gift this country happens to be and instill a little patriotic love for our symbol, the flag.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post