SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATL Charter School ditches the Pledge of Allegiance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATL Charter School ditches the Pledge of Allegiance Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/big-...ok&utm_medium=social

They want to start the day "as a fully inclusive and connected community".

IIRC, charter schools are publicly funded. Maybe they need to be unfunded if they don't like America and what we stand for.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't send my kid to any school that makes a spectacle of the Pledge of Allegiance. They are teaching those kids that there is something wrong with being an American.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

IIRC, charter schools are publicly funded. Maybe they need to be unfunded if they don't like America and what we stand for.

RMD

All public schools sre publicly funded and apparently don’t like what America or what it stands for.

The public schools also do a lousy job at great expense. Why not “unfund” them all and try something else?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, with the way the liberals are gaining ground, this will be the norm.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The GDCs in charge of public “schools” are no longer afraid to show their true colors, which ought to be of concern to anyone who cares about the United States we knew.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
All public schools sre publicly funded and apparently don’t like what America or what it stands for.

The public schools also do a lousy job at great expense. Why not “unfund” them all and try something else?

That's painting with a pretty broad brush. I like the schools in my little town. My kids are entering first and second grade.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Posts: 5754 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Then they should say the Pledge of Allegiance together.

Posts: 8607 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
The Charter high school I taught at 6 years ago didn’t do the pledge either...this is nothing new.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong btw. I grew up saying it each morning.

Then there’s the whole argument if there should be a pledge at all.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

That's painting with a pretty broad brush. I like the schools in my little town. My kids are entering first and second grade.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Not your babies!

I say close the schools, sell the properties, let the teachers go elsewhere, and have the kids go to whatever educational outlets the parents chose. A state voucher to ease the transition.

You will like that a lot better, trust me.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
How would the kids get to go where ever the parents choose?

They’d all choose the best school..which is why most charter schools have lotteries, because so many parents don’t want their kids going to public schools.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

I say close the schools, sell the properties, let the teachers go elsewhere, and have the kids go to whatever educational outlets the parents chose. A state voucher to ease the transition.

Absolutely.

Posts: 8607 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I started in grade school in the mid 70s. We said the pledge daily to start the day. By the middle of the 5th grade, it stopped. There was no explanation to us kids. One day we said it, the next we didn't. It didn't matter what we wanted, that's just how it was. This was in north central Kansas.

Now, my kids are in school and they say it. I have one that is in 6th grade and has done so every day of his schol career in schools of western Kentucky, middle Tennessee, east of Atlanta and southwest of Atlanta in Georgia. He is currently at a charter school.

I say all that to say, it is a decsion made by the principal or school administration. It doesn't happen at EVERY public school be it charter or not.

Getting twisted up about it if your child isn't enrolled on the school seems like a lot of hand wringing with no change in outcome.

Now, if your child is enrolled there and you don't like it, what are you going to do? Will you organize something pulling others with your views together so that concerns can be voiced to the school?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Maybe they're Confederates?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4616 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

Absolutely.

So how would transportation work? I live in a pretty rural area where everything is pretty widely disbursed. I am thinking of the logistics of getting all those kids in the same neighborhoods to all of the different schools? That sounds like a lot of busing. I am not positive, but I don't think the charter schools in our area provide busing. What are 2 working parents to do? Driving kids to and from school each day isn't really an option, at least not for my wife and I.

The devil is in the details!

The schools around here say the pledge every day. It's broadcast over the intercoms. A different child gets a turn leading it every day. They also have a ceremony for Veterans day every year outside. The local scouts participate in the ceremony. I know because I am a den leader. We say the pledge at every scout function as well. Pack meeting are held in the elementary school gym, where we also recite the pledge.

Posts: 5754 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

They’d all choose the best school..which is why most charter schools have lotteries, because so many parents don’t want their kids going to public schools.

The schools would be closed. Private organizations could offer whatever programs they think will attract students. Students will have to do what the program requires or go elsewhere.

Some will be academic. Others will emphasize trade school curriculum, or semi professional, dental techs, nurses, agricultural, etc. Some will emphasize practical topics, like filling out welfare forms, maximizing government handouts on a budget, rent chiseling, etc. what to demand of a probation officer.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Making children recite the pledge has always given me pause. I just don't think we should be forcing young children that don't understand the meaning behind the pledge to recite it every morning.

Maybe after a certain age and once they've studied it in a history class or something, but I still think reciting it every day is too much. Maybe on the first Monday of the month or something, but not every day.

Posts: 11156 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

The schools would be closed. Private organizations could offer whatever programs they think will attract students. Students will have to do what the program requires or go elsewhere.

Some will be academic. Others will emphasize trade school curriculum, or semi professional, dental techs, nurses, agricultural, etc. Some will emphasize practical topics, like filling out welfare forms, maximizing government handouts on a budget, rent chiseling, etc. what to demand of a probation officer.

Well that’s not gonna happen. Close the schools? That’s silly.

This is a recipe for corruption. We’re seeing it in Philly now. There’s a few charter schools that are doing great (the one I worked for was being run by lawyers...if you get bored, google Franklin Towne Charter High School and delve deep into the issues).

In Philly, you can pay the money to go to a Catholic School (whether you’re catholic or not)....this ensures a mostly rigorous education with lots of discipline (however, standards have been lowered to keep funding up). Or go public where you’re fucked and gonna get beat up.

Or go Charter...which is a gamble.

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Over the past couple of years, it has become increasingly obvious that more and more of our community were choosing to not stand or recite the pledge ,” Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School elementary campus president Lara Zelski said in a statement.

Administrators are nixing the morning Pledge of Allegiance in favor of an alternative “school pledge,” and will continue to require its students to stand for the school’s Wolf Pack Chant , according to Zelski’s statement.
(emphasis added mine)

Looks like while participating in the Pledge of Allegiance has become optional, administrators are drawing the line at sitting out the 'Wolf Pack Chant' and will continue to require standing for same.

What is wrong with these people?

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Is the Pledge mandatory?

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
That's the thing with charted schools, it's about providing options and choice. Don't like the school"s stance on the pledge, send your kids to a different school. That said our daughter went to a charted school K-6. They offered a back to basics curriculum and every day started with the pledge.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post