SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was taken back in time last night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was taken back in time last night Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I was working out of town (an hour or two away) this week and staying in a motel there last night.

This weekend, there, is a classic car show/event, and they all started showing up yesterday...the motel was full of people and the parking lot was full of the most beautiful cars you've ever seen.

I went out for a walk last night and coming back through the parking lot afterwards, I was taken back in time. It was full of Chevelles, Novas, Bel Aires, Cutlasses, Camaros, Impalas, Mustang GTs, Corvettes, Road Runners, etc.... All of them in mint condition. It reminded me of the 70s all over again when it was common to see these same cars in the parking lot.

It was kind of a cool flashback.

Then...I began to drool. Big Grin

I got to talking with the guy who had a mint midnight blue '68 Mustang GT. I told him my brother owned the same car back then and somewhat jokingly asked him what he'd take for it. His response? "If you have to ask...". Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Hot August Nite in Libby this weekend, cars come from WA, Idaho etc. Too much smoke and hiway work so I'm staying in Helena.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Hot August Nite in Libby this weekend, cars come from WA, Idaho etc. Too much smoke and hiway work so I'm staying in Helena.

Yeah, it's smoky as hell up there now. Can't even see the Cabinets from town. Washington fires and a big one up in the Yaak.

Was kind of hoping I could stick around for the weekend and watch the burnout competition, but had other obligations.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I was working out of town (an hour or two away) this week and staying in a motel there last night.

This weekend, there, is a classic car show/event, and they all started showing up yesterday...the motel was full of people and the parking lot was full of the most beautiful cars you've ever seen.

I went out for a walk last night and coming back through the parking lot afterwards, I was taken back in time. It was full of Chevelles, Novas, Bel Aires, Cutlasses, Camaros, Impalas, Mustang GTs, Corvettes, Road Runners, etc.... All of them in mint condition. It reminded me of the 70s all over again when it was common to see these same cars in the parking lot.

It was kind of a cool flashback.

Then...I began to drool. Big Grin

I got to talking with the guy who had a mint midnight blue '68 Mustang GT. I told him my brother owned the same car back then and somewhat jokingly asked him what he'd take for it. His response? "If you have to ask...". Big Grin

Yeah, they're here every year at this time. It's a national points meet and anywhere from 1,500-2,000 cars show up. I drool for three days straight every time they show up.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Dream Cruise is happening in Detroit this weekend, tens of thousands of old cars all cruising up and down Woodward Ave.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Time to watch American Graffiti again.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, Dad restored two 1940 Lincoln Continentals. Won a FoMoCo Trophy with one of them. At car meets of the LCOC there were always several to many 1940-1948 Continentals, and even a Mark II or two. I was just a kid. I miss those days.
One of the two 40s was the earliest one made that was known. Number 4 completed if I recall. It was also specially made for parading in the Worlds fair. The Ford winner was number 54. Since then a 1939 Continental has been found.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Dream Cruise is happening in Detroit this weekend, tens of thousands of old cars all cruising up and down Woodward Ave.

I went out there tonight. Bumper to bumper stop and go and the "official" cruise is tomorrow. I won't even go near there.

My drive was mostly expressway time there and back. Driving the '67 Pontiac 2+2, Sirius radio playing through the FM radio listening to the 60's Channel. Yep, once again I was in my teen years, "cruisin and playing the radio". But I did have a "particular place to go" (apologies to Chuck Berry), had to take some coolant to my S-I-L and his '86 Trans Am, overheated due to the fan not kicking on. He called me as I was just getting ready to get on I-96 to Woodward.

Oh well, back to 2018............. Wink

BUT, next Sunday is the Hines Park Cruise, much nicer......back to the time machine.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post