SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My sister is in the latter stages of the dying process
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My sister is in the latter stages of the dying process Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
My sister, who I have loathed for years is in a hospice dying of bone cancer.

On Sunday a volunteer pastor who befriended her contacted me to let me know.

My spouse and adult child were going to see her and I went along.

She was obese the last time I saw her; today she was gaunt like survivors of the Holocaust were when liberated by Allied forces.

She is getting palliative care only. Based on my experience she has only a few days left.

It was strange how quickly my loathing disappeared, even though she crossed so may boundaries and did so many unforgivable deeds, all without caring about the consequences to others, that I thought I would never want to see her, speak to her, or give two shits about her.

She recognized me and said in surprise “My God.” I replied “Let’s hope not.”

I post this only to observe that sometimes you have to choke back your righteous anger to do something for a person who you loathe, but if you can, do so. For yourself, if not for the other person.

She has donated her body to a medical college. When they are done, she’ll be cremated and the cremains sent to me. After I have them I’ll take them to Wyoming and scatter them where she and I scattered father and mother’s ashes, north of Walcott about 20 miles.

Edited to fix typos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sorry D, no matter your feelings for her a month ago, you are doing the right thing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In the long run, blood will out. You did not say how old you both are, but it is never too late to make things right. Family should be together at death, I think. I was with my sister and my mother when they died; I missed being with my dad by just a few minutes. Sad occasions, all, but I wanted to be with them. I believe you will be glad you saw your sister.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry. I too think you did the right thing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my condolences in advance of the inevitable

I think you did the right thing - as hard as it was

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am sorry fir the pain you have known and know tie this day.

May it be diminished each day until one day you are surprised that you did not realize it was no more in your life.

And a prayer for your sister's comfort.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry, our prayers and condolences.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
My sister, who I have loathed for years is in a hospice dying of bone cancer.

On Sunday a volunteer pastor who befriended her contacted me to let me know.

My spouse and adult child were going to see her and I went along.

She was obese the last time I saw her; today she was gaunt like survivors of the Holocaust were went liberated by Allied forces.

She is getting palliative care only. Based on my experience she has only a few days left.

It was strange how quickly my loathing disappeared, even though she crossed so may boundaries and did so many unforgiveable deeds, all without caring about the consequences to others, that I thought I would never want to see her, speak to her, or give two shits about her.

She recognized me and said is surprise “My God.” I replied “Let’s hope not.”

I post this only to observe that sometimes you have to choke back your righteous anger to do something for a person who you loathe, but if you can, do so. For yourself, if not for the other person.

She has donated her body to a medical college. When they are done, she’ll be cremated and the cremains sent to me. After I have them I’ll take them to Wyoming and scatter them where she and I scattered father and mother’s ashes, north of Walcott about 20 miles.

Bravery sometimes comes in different forms.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this, brothe.

Currently walking in your shoes and they hurt deeply and painfully. My sister will survive, it appears, and recover, but now my mother is in deep doodoo. Losing her marbles and full of anger and hate.
Wish I had no time for them but my soul commands otherwise.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Very sorry. My condolences.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear.. in the end there is only family, nothing else matters.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Sorry D, no matter your feelings for her a month ago, you are doing the right thing.

Could not have said it better.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Prayers up, David.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Could not have said it better.

Agreed. It's a blessing to have been given the time.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Dave.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that man. My prayers are with you all.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
I'm sorry to hear.. in the end there is only family, nothing else matters.

Add to that the knowledge that you are doing the right thing.
Prayers for your family.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was strange how quickly my loathing disappeared, even though she crossed so may boundaries and did so many unforgiveable deeds, all without caring about the consequences to others, that I thought I would never want to see her, speak to her, or give two shits about her.

That my friend, is humanity. God bless you and your sister.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very sorry. Prayers for you all. I too think there will be peace for us all.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My condolences,sad

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post