SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finding decent socks. What works for you?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding decent socks. What works for you? Login/Join 
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Covert Threads are what I wear for every thing except dress. You can find them at www.covertthreads.com . They have what you need.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
As my Underamor socks (which have lasted SEVERAL years) deteriorate, I have been replacing them with Darn Tough.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Already recommended several times but I will push them again-Darn Tough

These are the ones I wear at work

They are $25 a pair Eek but they are guaranteed for life, period. I have 6 pairs and that is all I have needed. Be sure to take a good look at the sizes. I normally wear a large but in Darn Tough it’s a medium. I wear them every day, sometimes 16 hours a day. Always on my feet, miles of walking, heat, cold, deployments. You can’t kill them. I also have several pair of their hiking socks.

I think the key to long life of good wool socks is to never put them in the dryer. Turn them inside out, wash cold water, hang to dry.

Trust us Wink just try a pair

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I always used Thorlo "uniform" socks for boots...

They last forever, and my feet didn't stink after a 12 hour shift.

Instant Karma, I've got several pair still in the package, send me an email and I will send them to you (size large-which means like 10-13) they are black/white...white at the mid foot and black from there up

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I buy From the local Gold Toe factory outlet store. I can't recall the name, but they're Gold Toe brand.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know where one would get them, but in the 1960s I bought some "Fishermen's knit" nylon/orlon socks. Although the soft orlon has long since departed, I've been wearing those socks for 55 years and they've never worn a hole. (Breathe--I do wash them!)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I buy more Thor-Los when Bendable tells me too. Got a bunch last time, should be good for 5 years.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Bridgedale are all I wear at work nowadays, but it's generally pretty hot in the Gulf, so I mostly wear their bamboo viscose socks, they also make some excellent wool blends. In Antarctica it was DarnTough all the way. With some Salomon and REI's I also had good luck with. I gave most of my Arctic level socks away to a Member here who had got a job after a long time without one, in a frigid warehouse in Minnesota or somewhere.

I just interviewed with USFWS for running a fisheries research boat out of Wisconsin into Superior, Michigan, and Huron, So I may be in the U.P. pretty soon.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If your feet have calluses that are scratchy/hard they will wear out the best socks. Putting a quality lotion on your feet right after a shower will do wonders for sock longevity. If you have a Costco, I’ve found they make/sell a good sock.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
for socks that last, for me it's gold toe.

This is true for me as well, my gold toe dress socks last forever....10+ years for some pair. For boots I either go Army issue wool or Vermont mid weight.

If my gold toes would just wear out I would look for light weight wool....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Fox River, these are the best I’ve found. Hubby used to have a problem with developing blisters while walking at work...(maintenance), so walks a lot. Dr had no clue why. Changed to fox river socks, and they last years, and blisters disappeared. They are online, and can be got thru amazon too.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checking in again on my sock thread. Thanks for all the input.
I first went Duluth with their work socks. They would not stay up and fit poorly. End up going with Fox River. So far, so good.
Capn Mike:
Big USFWS operation here in Marquette just around the corner from me. HQ for their anti Lamphrey operation. Look me up for a beer if you are in town.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough/Cabot and Sons Hosiery for me. I have 3-4 pair of mid weight and 2 pair of heavy weight socks from darn tough. About 2.5 years ago I came across some lightweight wool blend socks at TJ Max that were $2 for a 2 pack that seemed pretty nice so I bought 5 packs. Didn't know at the time Cabot and Son's owned Darn Tough or I would have cleaned out TJ Maxx that day.

Few weeks back I noticed a few of the lightweight socks were showing wear and looked all over online for more but couldn't find them and though e-mailing Darn Tough ended up in contact with Cabot and Sons who tracked down the socks I had bought 2.5 years before and found 9 more 2 packs in one of their bins as it had been a one off product.

I'd been a big fan of their products before but them taking the time to find some socks from a one off run years ago sold me on the company as a whole.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I've been wearing REI Co-op Lightweight Merino Wool Hiking Crew Socks for many years. I wait until there's a sale then stock up.

https://www.rei.com/product/71...ol-hiking-crew-socks

This in spades. Medium weight for winter, light for summer, heavy if your winter boots are a size or two too large.

I expect to get 2 years wear as work socks. If you buy several pairs at a time they'll start taking a discount, so ask about that.

Think about fit before you start drying them in the dryer. If they seem perfect air dry, if a bit loose dry them in the dryer. They don't shrink much but I feel like they do a bit, plus air drying makes them last all that much longer.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the "outdoor" socks from Costco. They stay warm when they get wet and provide ample cushioning.
And they hold up.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Smartwool, buy at

https://www.sierratradingpost....tring=s~smartwool%2F

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
YooperSigs

Mailed them yesterday afternoon.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, do I understand correctly that this thread, with the click-bait title of "Once again, in desperation" is about socks??

Guys, don't do this. Do not give your thread a misleading, vague title that will cause members to click on it. Just don't do this here. If you want click-bait, the internet is sickeningly full of that shit. You can't go anywhere online where people are not pulling this crap. Don't do it here.

If you feel the need to use a thread title such as "Once again, in desperation", it damn well better be important.

Use descriptive thread titles which accurately describe the subject of your thread. Avoid click-bait titles. Avoid sensationalism. Do not mislead your fellow forum members.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies for the title. And I was surprised to see this has carried on for as long as it has.
Two members have even sent me socks! Again, thanks to everyone for the help!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And I was surprised to see this has carried on for as long as it has.
It carried on as long as it did because of your sensational title and only because of your sensational title. Why wouldn't members click on a thread with such a dramatic title?

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post