SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finding decent socks. What works for you?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding decent socks. What works for you? Login/Join 
posted
I turn to the hive for guidance and wisdom concerning:
Socks.
I have been buying cheap socks which make several wear / wash cycles and destroy themselves. I hate this and want change. I have loosely followed some hosiery threads in the past but now I am ready to commit. My needs and desires are:
Mid weight.
Calf length.
Durable
Reasonably priced.
Where to be found?
So.... What say ye? What's out there that you like and wear?
Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16063 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy Hanes cotton work socks from Wal-Mart online. They work for me.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough Guaranteed for life ....

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:

There ya go! Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Smartwool medium weight crew hiking socks. Hands down. I wear them every day at work, year round.

la-290780292153%7Ccrid:105212670158%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:1583501142352863827%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o5" target="_blank">http://www.smartwool.com/shop/...863827|dvc:m|adp:1o5

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I will never again buy cotton socks or underwear.
I have a bunch of underarmor stuff now, but I will be slowly replacing it with wool depending on my reaction to it's sometimes itchy properties.

Posts: 6298 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough
Thorlo
Smartwool
Eurosock
Duluth Trading

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Check out WalMart. They should have their winter socks on sale now and sometimes less than half price. Buy enough for the next ten years after a test fit etc for a week. When winter gets here, do the same for summer socks. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Columbia hiking socks, thorolo's

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
5.11 socks. I get the 3-pack for around $20. They last me years. They come in 6 and 9 inch. I prefer the 6. They tend to fade a bit over time but they are durable.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I really like Gold Toe for long lasting socks. The only negative I have found is some ribbed versions are too tight in the calf area with no sign of getting any looser. Most with this problem seem to have the wide spaced ribs.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing REI Co-op Lightweight Merino Wool Hiking Crew Socks for many years. I wait until there's a sale then stock up.

https://www.rei.com/product/71...ol-hiking-crew-socks

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duluth Trading.

I would say Duluth lightweight is equivelent to a store bought midweight.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy gold toe socks. They have some cheap versions but they have some really outstanding and higher priced versions as well that I buy any time I can find them. I've even ordered from their website as they aren't carried by many stores.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thorlo is what I use for work boots.

I've used them for years.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. Check out their website for anything you could ask for. All I wear.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I can't wear Thorlo socks, after just a few hours my feet feel like I've been standing in a hot swamp all day...

For me it's been Point6 socks. They're a merino wool blend sock and guaranteed for life.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:

There ya go! Big Grin

This. Not cheap but will last. Used to like smart wool but I now prefer darn tough and the guarantee is nice. Don't get me wrong smart wool sock are great and I will still wear mine until they wear out and are replaced with darn tough.

I hate cotton socks. My feet sweet to much. Used to only wear this type of sock for hiking but now I wear them everyday.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a over the calf kinda guy so i can't help you but, after you wash your new socks, never ever put them in the dryer. Air dry them, it makes the elastic last longer. Look at Getz's or Mare Z Dotes. I have been buying the LaCrosse or Darn tough brands. Wigwam have seemed to have gone down in quality.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Keep Shooting.Com Italian wool blend socks.
Well fitting and comfortable.
Italian Army Wool Socks
Availability: In Stock | SKU: IT-WS-N
5 / 5 Read all 20 review(s) or Write your review
$4.95
Italian Army Wool Socks
http://www.keepshooting.com/me...ool-socks.jpgItalian Army Wool Socks

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post