SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about police K-9 behavior
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about police K-9 behavior Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I've pet many a K9 and played tug o war with them... That said it is ONLY when they are in "stand down" mode and their handler is present and approves!!!

WE have some BAD ASS dogs with metal teeth (cause they natural ones were lodged in bad guys's appendages) but if you know them, and aren't an idiot, and the handler gives permission, you can play with them, pet them, and even hug them. ( i don't suggest that unless you REALLY know them)

But yes, they ARE trained to protect the car. Especially the apprehension/protection dogs. THe bomb sniffing lab? No, he prolly won't bite. The GSD or Belgian Mal Fur missile? Yes, he is not meant to be cuddled or gotten close to unless you know him, AND have hte express consent of the handler. And signed a waiver, and are wearing a bite suit.

Don't fuck withe the dog. I'd bet a large sum of money, that hte writing on the police car that this dolt ignored, stated something to this effect. Probably "STAY BACK, K9!!"

It's her own drunk ass fault. Stupid hurts for a reason, so you don't do it a second time.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there must be a little more to it than her just opening the door.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My dog would bark at anyone coming near the car. That was over 15 years ago. Our current dog and previous dog would not bark if anyone came near the car. They will if you enter it, but if you're just walking by, they don't. Must be a new way of training.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
WE have some BAD ASS dogs with metal teeth (cause they natural ones were lodged in bad guys's appendages)

Wow. Learned something.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been around enough K9 vehicles to realize when your about 10 ft away and the car is rocking back and forth like a boat on the ocean you should probably rethink your approach.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
In college and can't read all the warning signs. Poor thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
WE have some BAD ASS dogs with metal teeth (cause they natural ones were lodged in bad guys's appendages)

Wow. Learned something.

Its a good look for a police dog.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^ Also gives them more street cred in the hood. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
There are an amazing number of individuals who believe that dogs are just extra-hairy people.
Truth be told, most dogs (including protection trained dogs) are less dangerous and unpredictable than a lot of people. Still, all dogs should be treated carefully with respect for their capabilities. Sadly, drunk coeds and carefully rarely are used in the same sentence...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Was the AC on and the car running? If it wasn't, the drunk may have saved the dogs life.

It wouldn't be the first time a PD K9 had been left in hot car and died.

Not a frequent enough occurrence to make her uninvited intrusion justified. K9 vehicles are often equipped with a temperature management system. If the inside of the car reaches a certain temperature, all of the windows roll down, and a fan mounted in the back kicks on. Those can fail, too, but it is extremely rare.

The proper way to handle this if you're actually concerned about the dog is to call 911 or the non emergency number (if you can find it quickly enough) and tell the dispatcher your name, where you are, and what the vehicle says/looks like so they can contact the officer via radio and let them know.

As a total stranger, opening the door to the working space of a dog that is trained to chomp ass is never advisable. Heck, aside from our handler, I probably spend more time working my agency's K9 than anyone else and I would never think to open that door unless there were some pretty dire circumstances.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Remember, children.
If you see a K-9 left alone in a vehicle...
Stop. Don't touch. Leave the area. Tell an adult.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're commonly protective about the car. I'd stop short of saying they're trained that way - they don't need to be. The door should have been locked, but I don't fault the dog for the behavior one bit.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I don't fault the dog for the behavior one bit.

Or several bites, as the case may be.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
They're commonly protective about the car. I'd stop short of saying they're trained that way - they don't need to be. The door should have been locked, but I don't fault the dog for the behavior one bit.

My wife's K9 partner was a detector dog (cadaver, narcotics), not a criminal apprehension dog. He was generally pretty laid back when out with her. But when he was in his vehicle, my goodness the ruckus he put up when anyone approached. He was very protective of his cruiser. In there, that's about the only time he would bark aggressively. One day, driving along they passed some gangbangers on the sidewalk, typical with pants down around their knees and that "walk". Stryker went off at them (from inside, of course).

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The smaller a dogs area, the more protective of it they become.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My Aussie is the sweetest, most gentle, loves anyone/everyone dog in the world... right up until the point anyone but me approaches her in her kennel or if she is in my car.

Bitch goes from zero-to-immagonnaeatyourfuckinface in a 1/2 second snarl flat.

Even if I am there outside the vehicle she goes bat shit if anyone approaches. I let her out though, and it’s as if nothing ever happened and she would love for you to toss her tennis ball so she can go get it and get you to throw it again.

Hell, she even scares me sometimes!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Stupid C word. You don't approach any strange dog in a vehicle, let alone a working one

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'm with you guys. But doesn't anyone here think the PD will end up paying out a settlement because of the unlocked door? Not saying they should, but you know how things work here when it comes to personal responsibility, injury, lawyers and defendants with deep pockets.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Was the AC on and the car running? If it wasn't, the drunk may have saved the dogs life.
It wouldn't be the first time a PD K9 had been left in hot car and died.

Not a frequent enough occurrence to make her uninvited intrusion justified. K9 vehicles are often equipped with a temperature management system. If the inside of the car reaches a certain temperature, all of the windows roll down, and a fan mounted in the back kicks on. Those can fail, too, but it is extremely rare.

The proper way to handle this if you're actually concerned about the dog is to call 911 or the non emergency number (if you can find it quickly enough) and tell the dispatcher your name, where you are, and what the vehicle says/looks like so they can contact the officer via radio and let them know.
As a total stranger, opening the door to the working space of a dog that is trained to chomp ass is never advisable. Heck, aside from our handler, I probably spend more time working my agency's K9 than anyone else and I would never think to open that door unless there were some pretty dire circumstances.

Well DUH! That's how normal, sober people do it. Any PD K9 I've been around that was in a vehicle made it very clear that it was a heat seeking meat missle with chompy parts attached.
At a neighborhood dog & pony show we brought a truck to, the K9 cop that was putting on a demo told me to stand behind the crowd because my firefighting turnout pants looked similar to the bite suit they train with.
He didn't have to tell me twice.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Something about trained to attack.... umm... god i cant remember, surely a 50 lb fur missile wont hurt when it slams into your face for entering its space. God if only there was like videos or pictures of people being bitten by these dogs. If only.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post