SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking Recommendations For A Retractable Dog Leash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking Recommendations For A Retractable Dog Leash Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
One thing to think about with these longer leashes is when/if your dog runs into a "problem dog". Either your dog or the other is surprised by a dog that comes out of a hedge or a bush, or around a car. My dog Gus's main "problem dog" was his arch enemy, Logan, a yellow Lab. To say that they hated each other wasn't even close to describing it. They would foam at the mouth just passing by in a car. Logan's owners would walk him on one of the longest, and heaviest retractable leashes I've ever seen. Logan would get ahead of his owner, and the owner would allow it to slack up, so Logan could lunge just fine and the owner couldn't pull him back before it got ugly. Thankfully, they never got hold of each other, but they both got into some bad fights with other dogs. It was pure luck they never got hold of each other. Logan would have lost, he had two fake hips and had many other mechanical issues. Gus had no issues and had insanely high bite power. So be careful. There are always dogs that want a fight, some are running loose. Around here, that's at least a half dozen. Logan, Gus, Sandy, George, Omar, and the others are all gone, but there are new tough guys out there. One of them is a really huge chocolate Lab that is the son of one of the old tough guys, Sandy, named Sandy II, AKA "Junior". Like dad, he's an escape artist, and has an "attack zone" that extends about 100 feet out of his yard. If you're in his zone, you will be challenged, at least. Junior seems to be more aggressive than dad was. I'm kind of glad I don't have any dogs anymore.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I went to Walmart a couple of days ago, and I saw that they carry a retractable dog leash made in Germany. The company is "Flexi", and I can't remember if it is the same company as the ones I saw at Petsmart. Of course, the other retractable leashes there at Walmart were make in China.

When my goldendoodle, which will be come into this world any time now and gets huge, I will probably get the Flexi.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post