SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking Recommendations For A Retractable Dog Leash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking Recommendations For A Retractable Dog Leash Login/Join 
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted
Sparky is a 60 pound Standard Poodle. We purchased a retractable dog leash for him at Rural King which failed after about 2 months.

Looking at Amazon, there are too many options at every price point. We'd like to keep the price under $50.00, and would like the leash to last for years. Thanks!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We use Flexi for our cats. About $15, scaled up for a 60lbs I can't imagine over $50.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I'm also interested since our goldendoodle will be born any day now. He/she will probably be between 50 and 70 lbs, so we want something which will go the distance.

I can't remember the brand for the one we're probably getting at Petsmart, but it says it is made in Germany prominently on the front of the package. I've looked at different ones there at Petsmart, Pets Barn, Tractor Supply, TJ Maxx as well as other places on-line, so I still haven't made up my mind. Still, I'd like to bit have to purchase one from China if I don't have to.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I always wanted a Retractable Dog...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I can't remember how made the one used. It had 1/2" wedding instead of a cord. I also got one that was longer then most. Worked great for my lab.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Flexi-G...ts=p_72%3A2661618011

We have two of these and they have withstood much abuse and are still going strong...

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Walmart sells the Flexi leash too.
We have had them for our dogs for years and they work and hold up well.
The real old ones had a rope type cord that could give you a serious rope burn. The ones that are sold now have a flat strap and are much safer to use.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
The Flexi standard From wal-mart works well,cheaper than petsmart.
They come in round and flat line.
None last more than a few years.
They are strong enough to make a 95 # lab drag you face down.
Yep several times over the years,thanks to feral cats and a cat haten lab.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I got the small size version as my dogs both weighed together are less than 25 lbs. This one is for 110 lbs. I like the 26' length. $38.47

Flexi New Classic Retractable 26' Dog Leash (Tape), Large, Black

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
walkwithlove.com ...easier on you and your pup...more control. Retractable leash not a great idea...frowned on by most professional dog trainers. Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I let my dog pull a retractable leash out of my hands and it retracted when it hit the ground. I had a hell of a time catching the dog by the short length. What I do now is make my own 50 ft leashes out of paracord and let it drag the ground behind me. Let the dogs have some extra line when coast isclear and tighten it up when they need tp be controlled. Got to wear gloves or rope burns will happen.

Menards sells 100' lengths impregnated with reflector thread. I buy 2 colors and that makes it easy to keep the tangles out.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
As a motorcycle rider, dogs on retractable leashes require extra cognizance.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
As a motorcycle rider, dogs on retractable leashes require extra cognizance.

I get this. Whenever traffic approaches, I command the dog to stay, then take up the slack and lock the leash until the traffic passes. Fortunately, we walk in a very quiet, relaxed environment!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Yes to all-tape Flexi with a big strong dog.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Flexi it is. Thanks!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Consider training your dog to walk properly to heel and under control. The vast majority of experts believe that is the correct way to walk a dog.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I use training leads , since most of the time I am walking two dogs at a time. The ones purchased at Petsmart did not last very long , and frayed , due to dragging , these were 15' lengths.

Then I ordered some Clix training leads from Foster and Smith in 16' lengths, and they have lasted 3 years, being dragged along the asphalt on the rural road I walk, no sign what so ever if fraying.

I simply coil up the training leads in my hand when I need to bring in my dogs for traffic etc.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/...9+26631&pcatid=26631

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Had such a lead for my rescue. He had panic attaches and would bolt. The brake on the lead didn't do much. At the end I'd get a huge snap on my shoulder.
Every trainer I'm known has been against retractable leads. A six foot leash is best. If you need more, get a prong collar with a quick release.
The best thing is training.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We buy them at Harbor Freight for cheap and they last. We've yet to break one.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had no trouble using the largest corded model with both of our English Mastiffs. Definitely sturdy. However they were both trained to stop, stay, and heel.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post