SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Costco raised membership fees
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costco raised membership fees Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Not a ton, but they went up, From $55 for individual to $60 and from $110 for executive to $120 per year.

Got our 2% executive membership reward for last year, $127, so I'll use it to renew the membership, last year I would have had a few bucks to spend, now, I"m $7 over the fee cost.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, just got mine. Noticed the increase. Shrugged. Just like everything else....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My executive membership renews automatically.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Got our 2% executive membership reward for last year...
Can you explain what that is and how it works? I joined Costco within the past 6 months with an Executive Membership and am unfamiliar with that reference.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Can you explain what that is and how it works? I joined Costco within the past 6 months with an Executive Membership and am unfamiliar with that reference.

Basically, you get 2% of what is spent in Costco (except tobacco-related products, gasoline, Costco Cash Cards, postage stamps, food court & membership fees) as a reward. In HRK's example, looks like he spent just about $6350 there last year in order to get his check. It adds up quickly if you buy tires, a computer, a few whole ribeyes, and some other piddly stuff.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
The way I look at it if I get a reward check for $60 I break even. Any thing over $60 is a bonus. Plus I have the Costco Visa so I get even more back.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That's correct a little over $6k.

Wine budget helps run that average up lol

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I'll get about 500 back from my Costco VISA plus the store cash back. Usually about 200. Costco gas is the best deal in town and 4% back if I buy with the Costco Visa.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
The way I look at it if I get a reward check for $60 I break even. Any thing over $60 is a bonus. Plus I have the Costco Visa so I get even more back.

^ This. Not only do I frequently (mucho) use the monthly coupons they send to the house, I make my membership back and then some with the reward check + Costco Visa. I don’t think I’ve bought charmin, dish soap, laundry detergent, bath soap, paper towels, etc, without a coupon in 10 years. I take a lot of vitamins and just stock up when they go on sale. Then there is the Tier I fuel at a significant discount. Usually thirty cents a gallon cheaper for premium. Now if I could just get the mouth breathers out of the main isles I could hit the register in 7-8 minutes instead of 12 minutes. Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I don't think alcohol purchases count toward the 2% reward either.

But there is really no way you can lose. If your reward check is less than the extra cost for the executive membership, Costco will refund the difference.

Get the Costco Visa and you get 4%/3%/2%/1% cash back on that. You would have to try really hard not to save back the cost of membership.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that may very well be the last increase that we will endure .
the coralville Iowa costco can not get any of their ducks in any rows .

had to talk to management three times in four months .

prior to this store opening we did not have to talk to management in 18 years

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I'll get about 500 back from my Costco VISA plus the store cash back. Usually about 200. Costco gas is the best deal in town and 4% back if I buy with the Costco Visa.

Is that true with the regular membership too, or just the executive? I've had the regular membership for years but never paid attention to the gas sales because I was driving a diesel rig. Now that I'm driving a gas car again (for the first time in 20 years), I might need to check it out. Also, do they have mid-grade gas there (they don't list it on the web)? That's what I usually use in the car.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Is that true with the regular membership too, or just the executive? I've had the regular membership for years but never paid attention to the gas sales because I was driving a diesel rig. Now that I'm driving a gas car again (for the first time in 20 years), I might need to check it out. Also, do they have mid-grade gas there (they don't list it on the web)? That's what I usually use in the car.

Costco usually has 87 octane and 91 octane. Prices are at least 10-15 cents/gallon less. Avoiding peak times helps keep the aggro scale minimal.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
be sure to get a car with the fill tube on the right side LOL, apparently 90% of the cars have it on the left, and 99% of drivers going to the Costco Gas lanes don't understand the sign that says the hose is super long and will reach over your vehicle to the other side.

I pull my F150 in and pull the hose over the bed while there are 20 people in line for the other side of the pump...

Here its low or premium only, 87 or 91, and the super is usually 30 cents less than everyone else however WaWa has prices that are pretty close.

Nice thing about WaWa is I won't leave with a $500 credit card bill.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They usually only have regular and premium.

4% back only if you get the Costco Visa card. Regular membership is eligible, but it's just like any other credit card and subject to approval.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
quote:

They usually only have regular and premium.

4% back only if you get the Costco Visa card. Regular membership is eligible, but it's just like any other credit card and subject to approval.

Ok, I have the Costco Visa card, they issued it automatically a few months ago when the dropped AMEX. My new/old beater truck takes regular, so I'll try that out next time it needs a fillup. The new hotrod takes either plus or premium, I've been running some comparisons and it seems to run equally well on either so I've been using plus just because it's cheaper than premium. Costco's price for premium is just a couple cents higher than what I usually pay for plus.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have the Costco Visa card. I get a rewards check around February or March. Around June/July I receive another check that I can cash or use it to pay for the next years membership.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread reminded me that I misplaced (likely accidentally threw out) my Costco renewal notice and had to contact them to have another one sent.

After waiting on-hold for about 40 minutes, a CS rep from Washington state finally picked up. She was very nice and quite knowledgeable about the various programs, and informed me, after asking her, that I almost broke even on my 'executive' membership.

I asked her if the money saved on gas purchases, as measured against a regional average or something, was applied to my cumulative savings.

She said they wish they could do that (and she thought that they used to), but because California successfully passed some legislation or statute, or something to that effect, that Costco could not do that anywhere across the nation where they have a presence.

The primary reason being that it was 'unfair' to non-Costco member's that they were not able to buy discounted gas, and, it was really unfair that Costco members were getting rebates based off of purchases they had made at Costco (including gas at one time).

The state of CA is truly trying their best to fuck everything else up for the rest of the country!

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Basically, you get 2% of what is spent in Costco (except tobacco-related products, gasoline, Costco Cash Cards, postage stamps, food court & membership fees) as a reward. In HRK's example, looks like he spent just about $6350 there last year in order to get his check. It adds up quickly if you buy tires, a computer, a few whole ribeyes, and some other piddly stuff.
IS that reward generated on a Costco VISA card or on the account itself? I didn't opt to get a Costco VISA given I already have a rewards card I use that generates about the same benefits.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I receive 4% back on my Costco gas purchase up to a $7,000 limit, 2% at restaurants. I have had a card for a long time and generally I receive around $700 back a year, then another check in the summer that pays for my renewal. This is on my Costco Visa card.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post