SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The cost of parenting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The cost of parenting Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
I have neighbor friends that are a family of competitive shooters. They have about 4 houses nearby. Dad was an army lifer, shooter and coach, both sons and a grandson compete in long range standing and prone.

The two sons are very different, the older tall and lanky and very responsible. He got a college scholarship on a shooting team. The younger one doesn't look or act like his older brother. Moderate height and a body builder, he's much more colorful than his older brother.

Their father died in the last few years and their mother couldn't live alone so she's moved to assisted living. As part of them sorting out everything the older brother found an account book of what was spent bailing out the younger son over the years. Two divorces, setting a farmer's field on fire shooting something flammable to impress his cousin, probably a few legal defenses.

It represents the honesty and lack of embarrassment that the less responsible son would even tell me this, but today he told me the total of the money his dad had spent on him. This isn't stuff like food and clothes, but putting out fires. He said he would have thought it added up to about $100K. The total? Over $700K!

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Should have let the younger one bail himself out. My FIL has bailed out my BIL so many times...literally money pissed down the drain. BIL is a perpetual hopeless drunk. You have to cut them off and allow them to grow up.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Little shit would've been on his own about $5000 into that.

In my world, you get one get out of jail free card. If you don't learn from that, toughski shitski.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Ouch! Should have let the younger one bail himself out. My FIL has bailed out my BIL so many times...literally money pissed down the drain. BIL is a perpetual hopeless drunk. You have to cut them off and allow them to grow up.

I always feel the most practical about everyone else's kids too.

Thankfully mine are still all under 10. I'm guessing it's harder to live it when they're your own, blood or no.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:

I always feel the most practical about everyone else's kids too.

Thankfully mine are still all under 10. I'm guessing it's harder to live it when they're your own, blood or no.

It's also our job as parents, unfortunately. Not all ice cream and balloons.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My mom told us at a young age, "You have more time, than I have money".

I have told this a few times to my oldest one.

He knows if he gets in trouble, he is on his own.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

This, in spades.

My brother is a retired cop. Many years ago now his oldest daughter got into some really silly stuff and he kept bailing her out.

She headed south to Salt Lake City, reason unknown. Anywho she ended up in SLC jail.

The cops there called my brother as a courtesy.

He decided it was time to let her experience what was coming if she didn't get her act together.

Asked the SLC cops if they could "unofficially" hold her in jail for 3 days. They did so, which gave her time to think about her actions.

Straightened her right out. She went back to school, got a job, got married to a very fine young man and now has a really good life and great family.

Don't know how much my brother spent on bailing her ass out of trouble, but it was not a small amount. Sometimes the harsh answer is to make those kids face ALL the costs of their actions.

Sometimes that cost has to include the sadness involved in making kids face the music they created.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post