SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are You Dropping USAA Insurance?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are You Dropping USAA Insurance? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I will be a dissenter here. Have had great luck with usaa and at one time my auto insurance when I switched from traveler's usaa rate was less for three cars than traveler's was for two with identical coverage.
A big thing to keep in mind under homeowners they are the only company that will reimburse legal fees in the event of a justified shooting of an intruder in your home

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truly I am conflcted with trying to decide. I've been a memnber for almost 50 years and have had nothing but excellent service from their insurance group. Even including a car hit in Holland while I was asleep in a hotel. All it took was a phone call and all was taken care of. Their mortgage company; however, sucks to the max.

If it's true that they only sponsor news, not opinion, programming that's one thing. Making a political statement is another. Wish I could easily determine the truth.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I care how or with whom they choose to advertise. I said something similar a while ago in a different USAA thread, but I'm with USAA for the customer service. I've never been told "no" for a claim. They've come through big time for every car and homeowner claim. I'm sure I can get insurance cheaper, but if it's a hassle come claim time, what's the point?

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
USAA released a statement that their move had nothing to do with Hannity per se, but rather their position of not advertising on opinion-based programming. They stated they didn't know their ad was running on Hannity, nor on Chris Matthew's Harball, and have pulled them both.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what motivates USAA advertising decisions but USAA is a first class operation with superb custoner service so no, I am not thinking of dropping USAA

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO: Used to be smaller, targeted at military officers. Now it's everyone and their sisters, plus family, etc, etc.

Except parents who don't qualify on their own.

After my dad passed away I tried getting my mom under the USAA umbrella for insurance and banking to easily keep an eye on everything. She's never had an auto accident and last home claim (hail damage) was 10 years previous. First thing we did was move some of her money from one bank to USAA bank, which they gladly accepted. But when we tried to get her some home and auto insurance they didn't hesitate to say "No, you don't qualify". After some research and raising hell, I got a phone call from corporate. I was politely told this issue comes up often during BoD meetings but they never agree to extend coverage to parents. When I asked why, she vaguely said she did not know. So while your yet-to-be-born great, great, great grandchild is eligible for coverage based on your service, the mother who supported you throughout your military career is not.

Needless to say my mom had me move all her money somewhere else. When they had the audacity to ask her why, she explicitly told them on no uncertain terms, LOL!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I could never join USAA for Insurance although I served 6 years Army, 3.5 years active.

They told me I didn't qualify, although a military retired persons offspring does.

I think whoever told you that was misinformed. As long as you were honorably discharged, you're good to go.

There was a time that USAA membership was only for commssioned officers. It changed in the late '80s if memory serves, opening up to all active, retired, and former military and their families.

They didn't start accepting enlisted until 1996, and not until 2009 until it starting accepting all living service members with honorable discharges.

https://bucks.blogs.nytimes.co...ust-got-bigger/?_r=0

Their rates for me were absurd when I left around 2002. I checked again around 08 and they still were not even in the ballpark and haven't ever checked again.

It was several years ago when I applied to USAA. I may look into their rates again.

Thanks for the update.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I am considering jumping ship. I've had USAA since high school and has been great. I've had almost no claims, clear record, safe driver, bundle homeowners and I now feel like they are ripping me off. I'm paying $2200 a year, not including homeowners, and they said there is nothing they can do. They just raised my rate $200 a year for no reason. It has continued going up every renewal.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had USAA for 30 years now. Last month I had two claims in one week. Someone with USAA backed into my car and two days later my wife was involved in an accident.

Honestly, I was quite happy with how both claims were handled. They referred us a local Caliber Collision center that handled the work without any problems.

With that said, it seems that there service is becoming hit or miss these days. I know my rates will be going up with my wife's accident, so now seems like a good time to start shopping.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No way am I dropping USAA after all of the years I have been with them.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dropped them 2 months ago because they increased my auto insurance 29.5%. No speeding tickets, no claims, basically nothing changed on my side. I could never get a good answer from them on why they increased so much. All they would say is that all policies were increased, not just mine.

Posts: 798 | Location: Katy, TX | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
No.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Everybody keep this in perspective. They also stopped buying ads on Rachel Madow

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
As long as they are consistent, I do not see a problem here.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Just for the hell of it, let a Safeco agent give you a price.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Houston1944:
I dropped them 2 months ago because they increased my auto insurance 29.5%. No speeding tickets, no claims, basically nothing changed on my side. I could never get a good answer from them on why they increased so much. All they would say is that all policies were increased, not just mine.

I did the same about a year ago, they raised my auto rate by 28%. They sent a letter claiming the need to raise rates due to periodical reassessments(I had no claims, no tickets as well).

Got a lower rate and better coverage than I originally had with USAA through GEICO.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I have had USAA for 7-10 years. I have had good service from them with my checking and insurance. But, I don't agree with their annual
dividend (profit sharing) only going to those members who were / are commissioned officers. I called after reading about others getting their dividend wondering why mine hadn't shown up. Was told that enlisted do not qualify. WTF, my dollars are the same as an officers dollars, aren't they? S/F

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
No insurance company raises rates for "no reason." All 50 states have insurance commissions or bureaus that must approve rate increases. Companies have to prove to the commissions that rates need to be increased.

The principal reason for rate increases these days is the high cost of repairing cars. Gone are the days of replacing a bumper on a car for $500. Now they have all sorts of sensors and electronics. A glancing blow to the side of a car that doesn't even disable it may cost $4,500 or more to fix.

Hardly anyone drives a pickup truck that costs $22,000 anymore. Now, trucks cost $55,000 or more. I've seen payouts to E-4 and E-5s of $55,000 to $65,000 because they totalled their new(ish) Toyota Tundra 4x4s.

Even the cost of towing a car has gone thru the roof. No longer do tow companies charge $40 for a tow to a repair shop. Now, police call tow companies to move a car from the scene of an accident to the tow yard where the car is held hostage while exhorbitant storage charges accrue. $250 for a tow, $50 recovery fee, $150 admin fee, $50 cleanup fee, $50 fuel charge, $50 wait fee, $65 per day storage. It's hard not to pay $1,000 for all that following any accident that disables a car.

On top of all that, cheap gas is driving more cars to be on the road and the number of accidents has increased as a result.

So, when an insurer pulls an ad, it's not a political decision. And when your insurance rate goes up - it's because more people that company insurues are wrecking more cars they can scarcely afford.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belwolf:

Got a lower rate and better coverage than I originally had with USAA through GEICO.

What were the coverage differences?

I have heard a great many switch insurers over cost, but never a claim of different coverages.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post