SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are You Dropping USAA Insurance?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are You Dropping USAA Insurance? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
my new 1968 Mustang
The first new car that I ever had was a 1968 Mustang, purchased when I returned to the mainland after working for a few years in Puerto Rico.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
They are not even close to the company they were, both in terms of claims and pricing.

A big plus one to that. Had an awful (recent) claims experience with them, it was so awful that it would have been almost comical, if it were not so painful. Dropped them after 35 years of normally great service. They are too big/busy for their own good. Also sampled their mortgage company which was a nightmare. They tried to make it right in the end but it was too little too late.

Their Trust services are pretty good but even that has slipped a bit IMO.

In terms of insurance, we now have a lower rate with higher coverages from our local broker.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 90's they were beyond stellar for everything, but they were smaller then.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I dropped their insurance because State Farm offered better rates.

Same here.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
They are not even close to the company they were, both in terms of claims and pricing.

A big plus one to that. Had an awful (recent) claims experience with them, it was so awful that it would have been almost comical, if it were not so painful. Dropped them after 35 years of normally great service. They are too big/busy for their own good. Also sampled their mortgage company which was a nightmare. They tried to make it right in the end but it was too little too late.

Their Trust services are pretty good but even that has slipped a bit IMO.

In terms of insurance, we now have a lower rate with higher coverages from our local broker.
Dad is retired in autobody, and a couple years ago I asked him if he ever looked into USAA since he's eligible. He replied that [paraphrase] hands down their claims adjustors were the least knowledgeable, cockiest assholes out of any of the insurance companies I have ever had to deal with. No fucking way I'm giving them a dime. [/paraphrase] Lots of companies have dumb ass adjustors who are 23 year old recent college grads who don't know the difference between a door skin and a quarter panel, but it speaks volumes when Dad singles out a company like that.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
I'd rather them pass those dollars along in savings to keep rates top-tier.

I'd encourage you to shop it the next time you're ready to renew if you haven't already.

From the late 80's til 02 I just assumed I was getting the best rates - when I shopped it I was floored. I don't know if their rates went up when they expanded the membership so much or what, but they were not even in the ballpark as far as rates go.

Thanks, will definitely have to do that. I just assumed that USAA's rates couldn't be beat based off of what seems to be outdated information.

Posts: 434 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Ive had USAA since I was 16, when I got my first insurance policy through them. Then I opened a bank account, and use them for banking, which I LOVE. Never served in the military either. Qualified as a dependent.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
I'd rather them pass those dollars along in savings to keep rates top-tier.

I'd encourage you to shop it the next time you're ready to renew if you haven't already.

From the late 80's til 02 I just assumed I was getting the best rates - when I shopped it I was floored. I don't know if their rates went up when they expanded the membership so much or what, but they were not even in the ballpark as far as rates go.

Thanks, will definitely have to do that. I just assumed that USAA's rates couldn't be beat based off of what seems to be outdated information.

And they won't even match competitors rates either. I dropped everything I had with them, but auto/renters insurance/CC/checking account, and the insurance will probably go soon. For me:

- They have never been competitive for homeowner insurance; not even close

- Wanted $900/yr for a firearms rider on my renters policy; Collectors insurance is $149/yr

- Messed up a mortgage beyond belief. Lied about another mortgage where they said they would never sell it... Hello GMAC.

- Annual wealth management fees, were almost as much a I allotted to live on per year, when I looked into it

- Recently tired to use their Movers Advantage program that I had great luck with back in the 90's, now it is a complete joke

Etc, etc. In the late 80's-earlish 90's, you could not have made me say anything but good about USAA. Now, they are just another company, who got too big, rested on their laurels, and lost focus of who and what made them. I came on board in 1988 as a commissioned officer and felt like having USAA was a privilege... They are a very pale shadow of what they were... Gen. McDermott must be spinning in his grave.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I just requested insurance quotes through a local broker. If they can find significant savings, we may bail.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I had them for years and the rates became unaffordable. I had to move on to much lower rates.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Not insurance, but my savings account got hacked for $13K
Complete shit show, never have I dealt with such incompetence, beyond believe.
Completely their fuck up and I am leaving as soon as I get my money back

A disaster of a company

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGINT-228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
No.

I buy their services because they offer the best value for my situation, I don't care a lick where they choose to spend their advertising dollars.

I am not big on boycotting business for business decisions. Now if they decide to crusade for or support positions I disagree with and have nothing to do with their products (donated to gun control groups for example) then I might consider taking my business elsewhere.

End of the day though, I am mostly concerned with getting the best price/value/service for my insurance dollar and currently, that is with them.
Agreed with this and what JALLEN said. I can't see the ads are that effective for USAA considering the target segment. It would be interesting if they save the ad budget and introduce referral incentives.

------------------------------------------------------------
“Come on you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” Sergeant Major Dan Daly (USMC)

Posts: 1097 | Registered: August 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Nope.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
No

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I had them for years and the rates became unaffordable. I had to move on to much lower rates.
In the process of doing the same thing. Saving about $800 over 6 months.

USAA got greedy. Used to be smaller, targeted at military officers. Now it's everyone and their sisters, plus family, etc, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
No.

I buy their services because they offer the best value for my situation, I don't care a lick where they choose to spend their advertising dollars.

I am not big on boycotting business for business decisions. Now if they decide to crusade for or support positions I disagree with and have nothing to do with their products (donated to gun control groups for example) then I might consider taking my business elsewhere.

End of the day though, I am mostly concerned with getting the best price/value/service for my insurance dollar and currently, that is with them.

I understand where you're coming from on this, but disagree on several levels.

I had insured through USAA from 1975 until last week.

Over that time I found that USAA was easy to deal with -- they were set up to accommodate people who move often, which I did throughout my military career. When I retired in 1995 I moved to the metro Detroit area and stayed put for ten years. I found that USAA's charges for covering the house I bought there were twice what I could get locally, so at that point I switched to State Farm to cover my real estate, but kept USAA for the cars and motorcycles.

Then I found myself working for a company that responds to government contracts for emergency relief and military support. I was glad that USAA was easy to deal with as I had cars and motorcycles in Michigan while also having them in Mississippi (Hurricane Katrina recovery), and then I went to SW Asia for several years and USAA covered my stuff that I left back in the USA.

But when I moved to Idaho in 2012, USAA refused to cover my motorcycles there, suggested I call Progressive.

The company that I buy insurance for my ranch in Idaho, the Idaho Farm Bureau, offered to cover my motorcycles and my cars at much higher limits for less than half of what USAA charges, but I stayed with USAA out of loyalty.

This "abandon Hannity" issue is the last straw. Last week I terminated my USAA coverage on six vehicles and switched to Farm Bureau. These are my reasons:

-- I no longer move every few years. The single greatest advantage that USAA offers -- they are easy to work with when you want to change addresses and what you're covering -- no longer applies?

-- Why would I want to deal with two insurance companies when I can deal with just one, and one that offers more/better coverage at a lower price?

-- Why would I want to support an institution (USAA) that has chosen to align itself with radical leftists, particularly when that institution is doing so when the vast majority of their customers have conservative values? They're supporting "social justice warriors", not real warriors, and they're using income from real warriors to do it. They no longer deserve my loyalty.

-- Why would I pay more than twice as much for inferior coverage from USAA when I can get much higher limits, a smaller deductible, and friendly face-to-face service from a local business that has an agent right here in the small town (population 252) where I now live?

So, in short, I see a lot of loyalty to USAA being expressed by many posters in this thread. I feel that USAA has burned that loyalty and does not deserve it. So the answer to the OP's question is: "Yes! Last week I told those leftist bastards to pound sand and took my business elsewhere." See my post HERE.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to echo a lot of the above. USAA is living off of memories of the prices and service that they once provided. I have been with them since my first car and commissioning. They are not competitive in pricing at all. If you do any research you will find better prices. Period. They love the fact that their reputation, which was well deserved, sells product.

My wife constantly pushes me to change our banking out of USAA. They screw up stuff quite often. I only resist for two reasons. One, all banks suck and at least with USAA we have a 30 year history. Two, while the front line people you talk to can't or won't do much I have always been able to get to the next level manager/supervisor and between the long time customer and the pretty decent amount of $$ they are responsible for they always get it worked out to my satisfaction. When that stops, I'm putting my money in a pillowcase.

USAA for insurance is easily beaten by many reputable insurance companies. If you want to save money shop around. USAA, like many insurance companies, is banking on you wanting to keep all your insurance needs under one banner. This is a bad idea and will cost you money. But, it is your money.

I still use USAA. I am a sucker.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insurance companies are in business to make money. Only things written in a policy are covered anything else is excluded. They have excluded Hannity. They don't need him to make money.

Posts: 688 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post