SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's Harvest time again , at least up around here. Tractors and combines and wagons ,oh my
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Harvest time again , at least up around here. Tractors and combines and wagons ,oh my Login/Join 
posted
Please be cautious on the the rural roads ,
there are a lot of semi's out there as well.

then there are the spreaders ,too

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. Some of the farmers are posting good videos on youtube.
I like watching -
Dodge Brothers Farm and Ranch
Mike Mitchell
Brian's Farming Videos
Werner Farms
Border View Farms

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Farmers have been getting in the last of the tobacco for the last 2 weeks, lots of tractors and carts/wagons. They are also disking the fields after the tobacco is picked getting ready for a winter crop.

In my area the grow tobacco, corn and soy bean and a winter wheat.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being raised in SE Idaho, ya you should watch out for farm equipment, it will mess you up!

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
Farmers have been getting in the last of the tobacco for the last 2 weeks, lots of tractors and carts/wagons. They are also disking the fields after the tobacco is picked getting ready for a winter crop.

In my area the grow tobacco, corn and soy bean and a winter wheat.

It will be a late tobacco crop. My neighbor was 3 weeks late finishing planting this spring. Now after a strange summer, ALL of the crop is ripening at once. He will not have enough barns to cure all the tobacco, and with a cold snap coming this week, will damage the field tobacco.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of equipment being moved around here also. Keep an eye out for deer. They are on the move due to the crops being combined. Had one hit the daughters car the other morning. Just a dent in both doors.

Posts: 2 | Registered: September 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Same here. Most of the wheat and barley is gone and they are swathing canola. A dill field went down last week and potatoes soon.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The farm equipment today is enormous.When I lived on our farm in the 40s and 50s most harvesting combines were a 6 ft. Cut, now their up to almost 30 and come in two sections hauled to the fields, so you have to be careful on the roads around the equipment being taken to a field.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Venture out at your own risk!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Last year I had to widen my farm road crossings because of going to 36 foot headers. Frown

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While at a rest stop on I-80, westbound,
We saw a wheat head on the back of a semi trailer,
We asked the truck driver how wide the head was,
He told us 48 feet
Eek

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
There's nothing like coming around the bend on a county road and come face-to-face with a 8 or 12 row corn picker...

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
around here the commuters like to pass four cars AND the tractor or combine,

at least three times in the last six years I've seen the farmer make a left turn in too the field
gate hole.

the passer then having to slam on the brakes , BIG time.

one time that happened on a double line ( no passing zone)

posted Hide Post
Bump

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
With Hurricane Sally and all the rain we have had on the Gulf Coast the peanut farmers have been unable to get into the fields. When the sun comes out and it dries up next week it's going to get really busy out there digging peanuts and then the cotton harvest right behind, as well as the final hay cutting. Lots of equipment on the roads from now to Thanksgiving, ya'll be careful out there.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On YouTube there is a 16 row corn head. On our little farm in the 40s and 50s that would only have to go three or four times up and down in the field and once across both ends and done by lunch. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Indiana grown cantaloupe were huge this year. At the Market, the produce Vendor had them which were as large as regular melons. I wonder what kind of machine harvests all those Honey Nut Cheerios.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

posted Hide Post
Ok, it's day 8 of listening to the 800 bushel grain dryer r o a r,
Day and night, night and day.

It's going to get real old in the next six or eight days.

posted Hide Post
My little gravel road doesn't usually get the equipment traffic, but it got hammered today. The drivers must have been making a loop, because the semi's that came by all came downhill, and all came loaded.

At the end of the day came a caravan of a few tractor/field wagon combos followed by a combine, which of course I got caught behind and followed most of the 10 miles to an appointment. The combine filled the gravel road edge to edge, and filled the highway from the yellow line well off onto the shoulder.

Hitting that would have been unpleasant.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post