SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gibson(guitars) being sued for $50 million
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gibson(guitars) being sued for $50 million Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
Gibson is being sued by Tronical for $50million over e-tuner technology

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/eqDhLQwp6-U

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39858 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the Gibson brand will ever go away. I suspect we'll see a bankruptcy and restructuring which will include cleaning house of some of the idiots in upper management.

FWIW, I absolutely love my Songwriter Deluxe. The sound that comes out of that thing is nothing short of amazing. I only wish that I could play it to its potential.

Posts: 20508 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Why can't people learn to tune their own guitars? You can afford a Gibson, learn how to use it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Gibson" has been raping the name for at least 3 decades now. I am surprised they lasted this long.
Remember that Gibson bought the vastly superior quality Epiphone back in around 1970 (?) just so they could rape that name and eliminate competition. They moved Epiphone production to Asia and deliberately tried to make it a name for "cheapo" guitars. But the last laugh was on Gibson, because Asian quality control quickly became superior to Gibson's own.

I've owned a 1956 Les Paul, 1957 Les Paul, 1972 Les Paul, ES-125, and an ES-150DC. They were "nice guitars" but no holy grail. If Gibson disappears it will really be no great loss. Lots of other guitar makers are now superior.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really hate to hear this. The tuners have a place and a market but it wasn't with Gibson's traditional guitars. That market wants technology from the 50's and 60's. I hope they don't end up being bought by someone who will ruin the brand and I don't want Fender buying them. I love Fender but it would be truly sad to see these rivals become a monopoly.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3624 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
"Gibson" has been raping the name for at least 3 decades now.

I though Gib was currently owned by a hedge fund controlled by one guy. Wiki has this: Gibson is a privately held company that is owned by its chief executive officer Henry Juszkiewicz and its president David H. Berryman.

Acoustic Vibes Music of Tempe AZ brought in a wall of Gibsons a couple years back. I played every one of those 22 guitars while writing an article for ATB. A $7,000 SJ-200 Vintage was my favorite. But I could see issues in the finish, poor spraying around the sound hole. Uneven finishing between coats of finish. The sound was amazing, though. AVM is not reordering as inventory is sold ...

Sunday I played an Epiphone rosewood OM-style Masterbuilt. Amazing fit and finish. Made in China ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
"Gibson" has been raping the name for at least 3 decades now.

I though Gib was currently owned by a hedge fund controlled by one guy. Wiki has this: Gibson is a privately held company that is owned by its chief executive officer Henry Juszkiewicz and its president David H. Berryman.

Acoustic Vibes Music of Tempe AZ brought in a wall of Gibsons a couple years back. I played every one of those 22 guitars while writing an article for ATB. A $7,000 SJ-200 Vintage was my favorite. But I could see issues in the finish, poor spraying around the sound hole. Uneven finishing between coats of finish. The sound was amazing, though. AVM is not reordering as inventory is sold ...

Sunday I played an Epiphone rosewood OM-style Masterbuilt. Amazing fit and finish. Made in China ...

Slight drift... how many recognize that guy?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

No thread drift at all. Gibson used to be great. Now they are ... questionable? Unethical? More tuned to money instead of making a great product?

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:

No thread drift at all. Gibson used to be great. Now they are ... questionable? Unethical? More tuned to money instead of making a great product?

Isn’t that Phil? In the previois post, of course.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn’t that Phil? In the previous post, of course.

Phil was always Stage Right ...

Wonder how this will end? Who was the guy who invented the intermittent windshield wiper controller?

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Gibson has been burning bridges for years.

I don't recall how many years ago it was but they essentially cut out smaller dealers by requiring they stock something like $80,000/wholesale at all times. And they would force models onto dealers instead of just letting them order the models that were selling well; I believe they also forced dealers into ordering Epiphone, too. Cut out a lot of independent dealers, I believe Elderly in Lansing, MI was one of them.

Then there's the typical inconsistency with Gibson acoustics. While they have some legendary acoustic guitars, they aren't the only game out there. With other big names such as Martin and Taylor offering various price lines, why get a Gibson that typically seems to start around $1,800?

The robotuner was a nightmare and criticized by many guitar players...

Their CEO makes Gibson products easy to pass up. He seems to be the biggest problem with the company. I don't think the guy can even play guitar.

Posts: 13279 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looks like they filed bankruptcy

Link

Posts: 24160 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It sucks to see Gibson struggling like this but I never really found myself wanting any of their new guitars, their prices are insane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21213 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
What a shame. I have just 3 guitars: a Martin acoustic, a Fender Strat, and a Gibson ES. All American made. The Martin is absolutely flawless in construction, fit and finish. The Fender very nearly flawless. I sent one Gibson back for a glaring finish problem, that should have been picked up and rejected in Memphis. The second one I received is...OK.

Some of the greatest music ever played was on Gibson guitars and mandolins. Shame on those who mismanaged the company.

Posts: 13543 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have a pre lawsuit ESP Explorer and PRS makes a better single cut (Les Paul shape) than Gibson anyways.
Say hi to Kodak and Sears for me.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure this is a nostalgic feeling feeling of a "loss" with the demise of Gibson. I feel a sense of loss over the demise of Schwinn bicycles and Sears department stores.
But is there anyone who will really be inhibited or limited in current or future guitar purchases? No.
There are more, higher quality, cheaper, better sounding, wider variety guitars now than at any prior point in history. We could have a separate thread about recommendations and reviews.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Why can't people learn to tune their own guitars? You can afford a Gibson, learn how to use it.

RMD
You'd have a point if Gibson would put out a guitar that maintains tuning stability right out of the box. You shouldn't have to take a $1000+ guitar directly to a luthier.

Posts: 45527 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Now it's Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Legendary U.S. guitar-maker Gibson files for bankruptcy

By Tracy Rucinski

(Reuters) - Gibson Brands Inc, the maker of guitars played by the likes of B.B. King and Elvis Presley, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Tuesday with a plan to reorganize its musical instrument business under the new ownership of its lenders.

Nashville-based Gibson, whose legendary brands include Les Paul and SG, has been suffering under $500 million in debt linked to the acquisition of its consumer electronics business overseas, where sales have been in sharp decline.

In a filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware, Gibson said the overseas consumer electronics business will be wound down, allowing it to re-focus on its core guitar-making and audio businesses.

The audio business includes KRK, Cerwin Vega and Stanton headphones, loud speakers and turntables for amateur and professional musicians and sound engineers.

"This process will be virtually invisible to customers, all of whom can continue to rely on Gibson to provide unparalleled products and customer service," Chief Executive Henry Juszkiewicz said in a press release.

Juszkiewicz acquired Gibson in 1986.

Under a restructuring pact, senior lenders including Silver Point Capital, Melody Capital Partners LP and funds affiliated with KKR Credit Advisors will exchange debt for equity ownership in the reorganized company.

Gibson said sales of its electric guitars grew 10.5 percent to $122 million in the 12 months through January from a year earlier.

Gibson, founded in 1894, makes its electric guitars in U.S. factories in Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee and its acoustic guitars in Bozeman, Montana. It sells more than 170,000 guitars annually in more than 80 countries.

It bought the Hong Kong-based consumer electronics arm from Philips in 2014, and started to wind down the unsuccessful business -- including formal liquidation proceedings in Hong Kong, the United Kingdom and six European countries -- on April 30, according to court papers.

Gibson has secured $135 million in debtor-in-possession financing to fund its operations during the Chapter 11 proceedings. It plans to exit bankruptcy on Sept. 24.

(Reporting by Tracy Rucinski in Chicago; Editing by Susan Thomas)

In Guitar Center, Redmond WA, the last weekend; a lot of acoustic/electric brands to choose from; played the Gibsons. Finish on many was not at all of quality, the sound just wasn't what I was feeling Each to their own. Bought a Breedlove.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
I may be in the minority here. I have 11 Gibson acoustics. Everything from a J-45 Standard to a 1 of 20 Hummingbird Custom Quilt. I think they all sound wonderful and I can't find fault with the quality of the build. I also have several Martin acoustics. I do like some of the Martins better than some of the Gibsons, but then again I like some of the Gibsons better than some of the Martins. I've sent a couple Gibsons back where they came from, as I have with Martin for one reason or another. Occasionally, even Cadillac makes a lemon. But I hate to see such an iconic brand such as Gibson in such dire straits. They may not be worth purchasing in the future, but for now, I love the one's I have.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3043 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post