SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's not Amtrak...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's not Amtrak... Login/Join 
posted
Japan's FAST Bullet train. Female crew on some....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loikwra9g14

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I rode one of the Shinkansen trains several years ago from Tokyo up to the north of the main island. They are amazingly fast and very noisy when you pass a train headed in the other direction. Seating is not build for tall people.

Wonder why they were sprinkling the tracks?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder why they were sprinkling the tracks?

Gotta keep it clean for those high speed photo ops!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heavy snow[edit]
The Tōkaidō Shinkansen often experiences heavy snow in the area around Maibara Station in winter. Trains have to reduce speed, which can disrupt the timetable. Sprinkler systems were later installed, but delays of 10 to 20 minutes still occur during snowy weather. Additionally, treefalls related to excess snow have caused service interruptions. Along the route of the Jōetsu Shinkansen, winter snow can be very heavy, with snow depths of two to three metres, so the line is equipped with stronger sprinklers and slab track, to mitigate the effects of deep snow.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told by a former neighbor (Japanese) that if a rider pays for an express train ticket and express train is delayed for one reason or another, the rider is reimbursed the difference in price.

Wonder if Amtrak would do that.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've ridden the Tokaido N700 Shinkansen operated by the JR Central line in Japan several times, the Hikari, Kodama, and Nozomi. Not 603KMH, about half of that. It is still wicked fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23b6eZkGnxc

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Have one of these ever crashed? That would be an epic train wreck, and I suspect with few survivors.

Very impressive technology.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Have one of these ever crashed? That would be an epic train wreck, and I suspect with few survivors.

Very impressive technology.

The Shinkansen trains have had accidents. They have a very sophisticated earthquake detection system to minimize that danger.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

my experience with Amtrac suggests they'd charge you EXTRA if they actually DID arrive on time.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I was on one going from Honshu (main island) to Kyushu, with a friend/colleague from Osaka.

I asked him, while we were going lickety-split (technical term) through the ~2 mile long Kanmon Tunnel which is about 100 feet under the water, what would happen if there was an earthquake while we were down there.

His answer? "We don't like to think about that." Smile

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I was told by a former neighbor (Japanese) that if a rider pays for an express train ticket and express train is delayed for one reason or another, the rider is reimbursed the difference in price.

I had a round trip DC-NYC about a year ago. Decided not to go because the weather was supposed to be really bad. Figured I was out the cost of the ticket. Called Amtrack and they gave me a credit for the ticket price, just had to use it within a year.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I've ridden the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka at least a dozen times, it never gets boring. Huge comfortable seats with plenty of leg room, cost is $150 but worth every penny.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post