SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest gun buying panic is different than the others
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest gun buying panic is different than the others Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Note to self:
Buy up several dozen Kel-Tecs and High Points along with a few thousand rounds of the cheapest, dirtiest Russian steel cased ammo and store it away.
Next big panic comes along and I'm retiring. Cool

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
We have a chance to win converts here. Let's not mess it up by trying to 'rub it in their faces.'

You're one of them "hearts and minds" kind of philosophers aint ya? Wink
I'd bet any sum of money that once this dies down they will ALL be back to their commie loving sheepy ways. I wish I had more faith in mankind but we all know how these people think.
So rub it in their faces and then stick the rest of it up their ass!

Bring them into the fold, no need to remind them of the errors of their previous opinion, they crossed the mental (and financial) threshold when they made the purchase...it's up to us ardent gun owners/enthusiasts, to make sure they don't regret that decision.

I'll take one convert over none.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
From what I'm hearing around Michigan, it's mostly first time gun buyers. Never had one but they want one now!

I was talking with a friend last week and he had been in a small local gun shop in our town of about 9,000 people. There was a woman there buying a revolver, her first gun ever, because somebody had broken into her home and stolen...toilet paper. Don't know if that was all that was stolen, but it made her understandably nervous.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nah, it's foooking Karma for those people.

They are getting a real time edumication on the stupidity of their ways.

Maybe, just maybe they'll think twice next time they nod their heads at "common sense gun control".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
quote:
We have a chance to win converts here. Let's not mess it up by trying to 'rub it in their faces.'

I'd bet any sum of money that once this dies down they will ALL be back to their commie loving sheepy ways. I wish I had more faith in mankind but we all know how these people think.

Bring them into the fold, no need to remind them of the errors of their previous opinion, they crossed the mental (and financial) threshold when they made the purchase...it's up to us ardent gun owners/enthusiasts, to make sure they don't regret that decision.

Time to be welcoming, not rub people's noses in it. I would happily help a friend or coworker get familiar with use of their new firearm and make sure they are 100% grounded in the four rules, basic marksmanship, and take down/cleaning of their guns.

Then in October, I'd remind them which party wants to limit their rights to protect their loved ones.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
So, how's the lame stream media going to spin this? They induced this panic and probably never expected this surge in gun sales, especially from lefty first time buyers.

HOORAY for the Second Amendment.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The thing that strikes me about the news stories out of California is that so many of the sold-out guns are handguns. Somewhere out there a whole lot of FUDDness seems to have gone missing. Then again, my own inclinations are such that I'm prepared to see a 10/22 with commemorative carving as marginally better for home-defense than a Taurus .380.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:

Exactly. Being bent over for years now, and great to see the other side get the sausage for a turn.

I'm gonna disagree. Sure, there may be some sweet irony, but a gun owner is a gun owner, and I hate to see ANY of US denied our rights.

I dunno. This being the 21st Century and all, I'll take sausage conversions. All this nonsense makes new gun owners not just new gun owners, but new gun owners who are already thoroughly pissed off about restrictions on gun ownership and who are thoroughly worried about future access to ammunition.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
quote:

Spot on! Far too many gunowners seem to believe that the only people who don't own/shoot guns are "commies". Pretty damn ignorant to paint with that broad of a brush. There's plenty of potential converts to our side (supporters of the 2nd Amendment) who simply haven't developed an opinion one way or the other about personally owning or shooting firearms. Failing to take this opportunity to educate potential allies is very different from trying to convert dedicated enemies. There's a vast middle ground that is and should be cultivated.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
.... There's plenty of potential converts to our side (supporters of the 2nd Amendment) who simply haven't developed an opinion one way or the other about personally owning or shooting firearms. Failing to take this opportunity to educate potential allies is very different from trying to convert dedicated enemies. There's a vast middle ground that is and should be cultivated.

Bravo -- well said

In complete agreement

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You overly optimistic folks crack me up. Commies will always return to commie-ing once they feel their false sense of securities warm embrace again.
What was that story about the frog helping the scorpion across the river?

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I said something along the lines of this in the Covid thread. Have fun protecting yourself with your 5-round shotty. Idiots.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the silver linings of this virus nonsense. It's gonna be kinda hard to defend your anti-gun views when you were seen standing in line at the local gun store last week. I'm telling you guys- this little exercise has changed some minds on gun control, and when all is said and done, I see fewer attempts at gun control legislation. Think about those people in Virginia who purchased their first firearm last week? How do you think some of them may now feel on the subject of future gun control legislation in their state?

Even better are those liberals that thought you could just mail order a gun, use a "loophole" or get it same day in their communist states. The waiting period was a nice surprise.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You don't know stress until you're one day into a ten day waiting period for your single shot 410 and box of birdshot and the county sheriff is letting 1500 inmates out today

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't know stress until you're one day into a ten day waiting period for your single shot 410 and box of birdshot and the county sheriff is letting 1500 inmates out today

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
More legal guns out there in more citizen's hands- a win by any measure.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"A gun owner is a gun owner"? Sure, Obama, Biden, and Feinstein are gun owners.

Oh, and anybody remember Zumbo? He's gun owner, too, a fudd who thought AR-15s are assault rifles that had no place in hunting and didn't want to be lumped together with AR-15 owners who terrorize the world with them.

There are plenty of these fuckers out there.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
I’m going to give the guys at academy sports cuddos. I went by Sunday and the gun counter was slammed with people. Ammo was empty as expected.
No real need to panic buy guns down here. I checked on line and they had all Glocks on sale from 15-$60 off the whole line.(they still are)
Their usual draw is S&W and Taurus. I think they were very smart using the Glocks in God fearing gun loving TN.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the silver linings of this virus nonsense. It's gonna be kinda hard to defend your anti-gun views when you were seen standing in line at the local gun store last week. I'm telling you guys- this little exercise has changed some minds on gun control, and when all is said and done, I see fewer attempts at gun control legislation. Think about those people in Virginia who purchased their first firearm last week? How do you think some of them may now feel on the subject of future gun control legislation in their state?

as a dealer, in Va,

a lot of the first time buyers have not a clue what they want other than someone told them they need a 9mm,

doesn't matter who made it, they want a 9,

a good portion of them are amazed at the amount of paperwork needed, (Va is a point of contact state, you do the 4473 and the SP-65, the SP -65 is what we use to run your background thru the state police system)

wow!! I have to do all this??

yes, you do

wow!! that's a lot of paperwork,

not really,

first question I ask is if the address and info on the VA DL or ID card is correct..

some say no, and have proof,
some say yes, and then put down another address

those are amazed that I cannot use their credit card, kroger shoppers card, bank check (not for fed, ,just state form), or a recent piece of mail to verify where they told me or put on the 4473 as their residence

one guy,,,,, That's my address but I'm staying with my girlfriend cause my roommate is an asshole,

sorry dude,,

another, 19yr old,
that is my address sometimes,, it's a joint custody thing, sometimes I live w/ mymom here,,

dude is 19,, wtf does custody have to do with anything,,,,

often followed up by,,,,

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I AM DELAYED!!!

brief explanation of the system,, and still they don't get it,

WELL I DID NOT DO ANYTHING, I DON'T HAVE A RECORD,

well, that's all well and good Mr. Smith,, but there are Eleventy thousand Robert Smith's out there that may have, including that dude that sings for the Cure,, so they have to check to see if it is you,,

or not,

I could go on longer,,,,

sorry for the rant/rambling

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Maybe the NRA is missing an opportunity here.

How about a Men On Target program to introduce these non shooters to the sport? Or Families On Target? We already have Women On Target.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said!

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post