SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest gun buying panic is different than the others
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest gun buying panic is different than the others Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I just loaded up the last of the #4 buckshot I have on hand....got about fifty rounds of 12 #4 buck in stock!
No waiting in line for nothing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Well, I've learned a valuable lesson. I have more than enough guns and ammo for me and my family. However, I do not have enough guns to profit off the first time buyers, or those who were unprepared for this. 2 months ago you could buy a upper and lower AR setup off of PSA for what, $350 or so (Freedom rifle). I bet that same setup is now going for $1,000 (just a guess here).

Next time I am going to buy enough guns and ammo to profit off the folks who are unprepared. I'll call it a stupid tax. Capitalism at its finest! Shit, maybe I'd be accused of being price gouger. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
By the way, Para, who said, "It's quiet now, get your stuff." I want to say thank you. I took the advice and I'm set, for perhaps the rest of my life.

I'm armed, and the next generation or two of descendants past me will be well armed too.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
Same story in my state, Connecticut, with a twist. All the liberal newbies, who said it was SO EASY TO BUY WEAPONS OF WAR, AND ASAULT WEAPONS, found they Couldn't buy since they didn't have permits for guns and ammo. AND, the govt IS NOT processing new permits right now !!! Big Grin. NO CONTACT FOR FINGERPRINTS.

Ha ha. FUCK.THEM.

Exactly. Being bent over for years now, and great to see the other side get the sausage for a turn.

And amazingly, Ct determined Gun Stores to be essential, along with liquor stores.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the silver linings of this virus nonsense. It's gonna be kinda hard to defend your anti-gun views when you were seen standing in line at the local gun store last week. I'm telling you guys- this little exercise has changed some minds on gun control, and when all is said and done, I see fewer attempts at gun control legislation. Think about those people in Virginia who purchased their first firearm last week? How do you think some of them may now feel on the subject of future gun control legislation in their state?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think it hit home to many how fragile society can be and the feeling of helplessness if someone wants what you have and you can't do anything about it finally him home to many. Let's just hope they don't have short memories.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got several friends at LGS, the stories are endless. They've had to hire-on friends just to serve as doorman, to control the amount of people entering and allowing them to do all the processing. The outrage and exasperation is endless...slim assortment, slim ammunition, need to take the Firearms Safety Certificate, need to fill-out all this paperwork Fed & State, necessary ID, thumb-prints, NICS check, THEN 10-day waiting period. But, but you can't just walk-out like Obama, Soros and Bloomberg said?!?!

This guy is local to me, jump to 2:10

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I helped out a good friend.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
In NC you need a permit to purchase a pistol (ugh). I understand the STATED intent (prevent a psycho from buying a pistol) and it usually only takes a week or so, but again, ugh. You can buy them in advance and they are good for 5 years. If you have a CCL (applied in Jan, still waiting for mine....), you dont need a permit.

A-hole sheriff of Wake County (think Raleigh) has suspended processing of NEW pistol permit applications. He says he is getting too many applications and cant handle it. Existing apps will be processed.

https://www.nationalreview.com...-increase-in-demand/

So in a time when people are afraid and trying to exercise their 2A rights (at least as NC interprets it) in order that they might protect themselves this douche says, nah, Im too lazy to do my job....so while not a shutdown, if someone doesn't have a pistol permit, you cant buy a pistol. Obviously this only applies to pistol purchases, but hey Baker...SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

This is the same a-hole that UNILATERALY decided to shut down the taxpayer-funded firearms training center that both LEO and the public have (had) access to. County Commissioners wisely stepped in and said "slow your roll there, Al Haig, you don't have the authority to do that" and reversed the "decision".

It was supposed to re-open 15 March but not sure if it did due to the current virus outbreak.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Apparently no waiting period in Indiana.

Correct

Pass a NICS check and walk out with your purchase.
No wait, no permit, no registration, nothing... the way it should be.

Only thing which could be better, is to show your carry permit to bypass the check (but I'm not complaining).
Some of the hoops and requirements other states have are completely ridiculous.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
It'll be a wake up call for many, but expect there to be more than a few who attempt to follow Ms. Ling's example. If you can find the footage, at the time she was all smiles sending rounds down range, but later when interviewed, she 'actually hated it.' Riiiiiggghhhhhttttt Because shooting AR's and Glocks is so un-fun. Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZzhACSjKhc

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'll really be interested in hearing what they think about waiting periods now, and how long that thought will stick with them once this blows over.
A few local break in's or some civil unrest and the non-owners will surely think twice about their hypocrisy.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LA County Sheriff Reverses Decision on Closing Gun Shops

The initial move by Sheriff Alex Villanueva to close the shops on Tuesday enraged Second Amendment advocates, who said they planned to challenge it in court

By Stefanie Dazio, AP and Don Thompson, AP
Published March 24, 2020 • Updated 2 hours ago

The Los Angeles County sheriff reversed his own decision to order deputies to make sure gun shops were closed during the coronavirus crisis after the county's top lawyer said the shops could be open.

The initial move by Sheriff Alex Villanueva to close the shops on Tuesday enraged Second Amendment advocates, who said they planned to challenge it in court. Los Angeles County, the nation's largest county with 10 million residents, enacted a stay-at-home order last week requiring all nonessential businesses to close. The county counsel says gun shops are essential businesses.

Villanueva said Tuesday gun shops are not essential businesses and ordered deputies to make sure they were closed during the coronavirus crisis. The move was contradicted hours later by the county's top lawyer...

Complete article:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/...d-amendment/2334792/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The upside of the delays in form processing, the need to get a permit, 10 day holds all will reinforce to first time buyers that it's just not as simple as walking in, giving the store cash and walking out with a gun.

Those folks make change thier minds on needing further restrictions and the claims of thier politicians for gun laws since they were unable to obtain one as easily as has been portrayed by media.

or not, they'll probably go home and pout

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:

Exactly. Being bent over for years now, and great to see the other side get the sausage for a turn.

I'm gonna disagree. Sure, there may be some sweet irony, but a gun owner is a gun owner, and I hate to see ANY of US denied our rights.

We have a chance to win converts here. Let's not mess it up by trying to 'rub it in their faces.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
There may be a segment of the population who have remembered and learned from what they saw in Venezuela not so long ago, while watching our .gov about to approve hyperinflation trillions in free money to the masses and bailouts to the corporations...

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was selling guns in Reseda, Ca during the Rodney King and O.J. fiasco's.

I didn't like waiting on very desperate , 1st time gun buyers.

the customers were three and sometimes four deep at the gun counter .

if we had ,had 150 Hi-point handguns on hand, we could have sold them out in three days.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

A few local break in's or some civil unrest and the non-owners will surely think twice about their hypocrisy.

Unlikely. But hopefully there's some major epiphanies that occur.

But it could be a golden opportunity to expand our base by welcoming the newly-converted into the fold and taking them from gun owners to recreational shooters/sportsmen/women.

$02 worth.

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I never seen anything like this.

Yesterday the LGS walls and shelves looked just like that video. All shotguns, 9mm handguns, .380's, AR-15's and .40's were gone. Most of the guns left were bolt action hunting rifles and 22's (quite a few Rugers with fancy, engraved stocks). This LGS always stocked a large inventory.

Had only a few big bore revolvers left, they even sold out of the neon type revolvers (and neon Taurus 380's) that were sitting there for months. The few bottom feeders left (used, new were gone) were mostly .45's (particularly 1911's above $900)and a lonely old .32 auto.

They were out of 9mm, .40, .223/5.56, 12ga, 20ga, .357 Mag, .38 SPC, and .357SIG. Very low on .45ACP and .380.

Had plenty of .44MAG tho.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

We have a chance to win converts here. Let's not mess it up by trying to 'rub it in their faces.'

You're one of them "hearts and minds" kind of philosophers aint ya? Wink
I'd bet any sum of money that once this dies down they will ALL be back to their commie loving sheepy ways. I wish I had more faith in mankind but we all know how these people think.
So rub it in their faces and then stick the rest of it up their ass!

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I'm gonna disagree.

I do too. Wrong is wrong regardless of who is victimized.
I have no great hope that the experiences of all the new gun buyers will result in meaningful changes to how our rights are infringed, but even a few converts or at least a few more who understand our position on waiting periods are better than none.

And regardless of how many new converts rally to our cause, the rest of us should keep the lessons of this crisis in mind for the future. One thing in particular is that although many gun rights supporters don’t object to “universal” background checks and the elimination of private sales, this demonstrates what can easily happen when antigun rights authorities can halt gun transfers entirely by fiat in ways they could only dream of doing normally. The antis’ mantra is, “No, no, no; this won’t affect the ability of the law-abiding to acquire guns, so you have no reason to oppose this common sense measure,” but now we’re seeing that such laws do exactly that when coupled with other measures.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post