SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest gun buying panic is different than the others
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest gun buying panic is different than the others Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quality firearms might not be easily affordable for many (myself included).

And prices jump in panics, too. That could cover a lot of ground when it comes to buying over the last ten years - young people who got married and had kids and just didn't have much spare scratch, people who just spent a few years in the military, or people who just got themselves through trade school, college or what have you.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jarcher
posted Hide Post
In RI, gun shops were not forcibly closed but the Governor used her emergency powers to change the waiting period from 7 days to 30 days, on the excuse that LE can't do the state mandated background checks in 7 days due to the onslaught.

There were many things she could have done. Most of the buying was in two cities so the work could have been spread to other departments, but really the check shouldn't take very long. Clearly the real reason was to slow / stop the panic buying. It's a de facto ban on a constitutional right.

Still, I have not been to any but people are telling me the shops are flooded with first time buyers and most places have no inventory left. All this is happening as the Assembly is considering some anti-rights bills that were very likely to pass. We'll see what happens now; my bet is the panic buying will propel the bills to passage.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

Posts: 2106 | Location: Charleston, SC US | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
A week or so ago a co-worker reached out to me wanting to buy a gun from me. I didn't want to downgrade from superowner status and told him he should get a 12ga pump or a Glock for simplicity. I did a quick check online and saw several places still had LEO trade in G22s on available sub-$300, knowing he wasn't going to be able to find a G17 or G19 anywhere nor would he be able to beat that price, I walked him through the process of buying it online and taking delivery at the LGS. I sent him some safety videos and instructions on the mechanics of a Glock along with Glock's instructions as the best I could do in these times of social distancing. I also called the LGS and told them he's a buddy of mine and maybe they could give him a crash course in the mechanics. All went well and they sold him some FMJ ammo as they were out of hollowpoints.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Sounds like you helped him a lot.
Now... take him shooting (as soon as the corona is over).

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
A week or so ago a co-worker reached out to me wanting to buy a gun from me.

Thank you for being a responsible gun owner and good friend.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^For all the States that have enacted 'universal BGC'...congrats...being able to buy or simply borrow a gun from a friend in times like these is a no-go without the trip to the FFL, which in some places is taking weeks to complete.

A local news station here had a picture of a stack of BGC paperwork at a local PD awaiting processing... looked to be about a foot high.

Good job all you 'reasonable, common sense gun control' supporters.

Hopefully lights come on for a few folks after this blows over.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
^^For all the States that have enacted 'universal BGC'...congrats...being able to buy or simply borrow a gun from a friend in times like these is a no-go without the trip to the FFL, which in some places is taking weeks to complete.

A local news station here had a picture of a stack of BGC paperwork at a local PD awaiting processing... looked to be about a foot high.

Good job all you 'reasonable, common sense gun control' supporters.

Hopefully lights come on for a few folks after this blows over.

Boss

That's what I'm really hoping, that some of these dipshit grabbers might have a come to Jebus moment when it comes to guns and why we have them. In the time being, I guess we'll find out if a 9 Iron is just as good, or better, than a 9mm.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Strange, I have not felt any interest in buying any more guns or ammo recently.

Does this mean I have enough?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
You don't know stress until you're one day into a ten day waiting period for your single shot 410 and box of birdshot and the county sheriff is letting 1500 inmates out today

That's the time when some of us will cycle the bolt on our "firearm" TWICE...

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Strange, I have not felt any interest in buying any more guns or ammo recently.

Does this mean I have enough?

That's kinda what I was thinking but I'm sure we're both mistaken.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Had a good friend who is/was anti gun but always respected my choice. When discussed, a good reasonable conversation but he and his wife no gun in home. This happened and he surprised me by asking how to get one. We talked he knew shotguns had shot skeet a bit, recommended 870 Marine Magnum or any 870. He waited, they went out of stock but he had bought the gun safe I recommended and went through safety videos I’d sent.

So he asked if I had something - loaned him my Winchester 97 Chinese clone from cowboy action, 15 rounds of 00 and a promise to keep away from his kids but to teach them. Dummy rounds too. Glad he has something, but we had some direct and serious talks about safety. He will be going to range with me when this is over.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard from my nephew a couple of days ago. He lives just a few miles north of Indianapolis. He said a buddy of his sent him a text saying that The Cabelas store was out of ammunition and there was a 5 hour wait at the gun counter

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This isn't all new gun buyers. Not unless one is to believe newbies are buying 10mm firearms and buying ammo for them on line so fast the product never shows up on some sellers' web pages

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

My point is that I believe there are far fewer middle-ground converts than others in this thread think there are. If in the last ten years someone hasn't already purchased a firearm and taken the time to get instruction in its proper use and safety, they aren't a middle-grounder. The people panic buying now are the ones who haven't supported the 2 Amendment in the past, and won't in the future. They are just the selfish and the ignorant Leftists/Progressives who don't have enough self-awareness to acknowledge their hypocrisy.

Edit to add:

If asked by any of these new gun people, I will give advice and help on whatever topic they want to talk about. But not for a moment do I believe they will become a 2A supporter. It would be a pleasant surprise to hear, though, if anyone here has that experience with a new gun person after this crisis and a couple of years have passed.

Spot...On....

Back in 2009 when things got bad I had several "friends" whom I disagreed with politically. But when they decided they wanted to purchase a firearm for self defense due to the increase in crime that came with the Crimson Kenyans brave new world I agreed to help them. I gave them advice, took them shooting, in short gave them every opportunity to see that gun ownership was a good thing and not relegated to (insert your favorite derogatory).

Things got worse in this country economically, and as they did I saw these people take more and more. I then watched in horror as they voted for the same moronic leadership. I saw them ratchet up the rhetoric and embrace the divide. Then in 2016 an amazing thing happened. They all committed a synchronized disappearing act to rival the rapture.

I haven't heard from any of them since 2016. I have heard about some of them. Some still attack orange man, some have joined Red for Ed. NONE of them spoke against the horse shit that has taken place in Virginia over this last session.

Call my experience anecdotal if you will. Accuse me of painting with a large brush, but these people will NOT go back to their original thoughts and feelings because they haven't left them in the first place. They are buying now because they are scared. The concept of hypocrisy is beneath them and irrelevant at this time.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:

All part of the plan. Like they did here, made it a felony to loan someone a gun or sell one FTF.
Then when this all happened, close the gun stores as "non essential".

So the state has mandated you MUST do something, then made it so you can't do it. How convenient.

My only response to the COVID-19 gun buying panic was to renew my membership to Second Amendment Foundation and make a donation.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Crud! I was avoiding the local places, laughing at the folks waiting to get in until a gen 5 G19 popped up on CalGuns in my somewhat rural city at a reasonable price (for an off roster gun in Kommiefornia). Contacted the buyer, made the deal, (he even took a little less than the asking), and went down to the favorite LGS to do the PPT. The owner, John, set us up at a case which had not one, not two, but four different third gen 10mm Smiths. There was a 1006, a 1076, and I forget what the other two were. All on consignment, all looked very clean. There was a Delta Elite in another case on consignment, also looking very clean, but that one was less was less interesting to me than the Smiths. Dang, now I’ll probably end up going back again to see if one of the others is a 1026. I should know better than to go in there, but yesterday was my son’s 18th and I wanted to give him the the P320 he has been shooting, and when I looked at the required form to register an intra-familial transfer he is going to need a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC). Dang, another trip needed.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
This isn't all new gun buyers. Not unless one is to believe newbies are buying 10mm firearms and buying ammo for them on line so fast the product never shows up on some sellers' web pages

Maybe, in these times of shortages, 10mm is being pitched to newbs as the new .44 Magnum?
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
So the state has mandated you MUST do something, then made it so you can't do it. How convenient.

On the less optimistic side, I wonder how the defense of necessity would play out in those states when it comes to loaning someone a gun.

On the more optimistic side, guns are in interstate commerce so maybe federal legislation nullifying these "MUST"s during "emergencies" is in order?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This came through this morning from Las Vegas Metro: Do you want your CCW Permit? You can now apply on line. It was the first article posted at #LVMPD

Posts: 37 | Location: Las Vegas Nevada US of A | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have felt no need to buy anything this time around, except the usual. I won a gun on GunBroker the day this all started, but I'd already been bidding on it for a week. The transfer process was a little scary because I was afraid something would happen to close local stores before I had it in-hand, but it all worked out.

Indiana is currently on lockdown, but gun stores are exempt and most are still open. Our county is pretty conservative, so while there have been a lot of sales, most dealers still have guns. Ammo is all gone, though. I was in Columbus, OH for training last week, and the sporting goods store that hosted it was getting slammed....people standing in the rain outside waiting to get in. Salesman told me mostly first time gun buyers.

A friend called me this week and asked for advice on buying a gun. He works in HS education, and while he's a "conservative", he once told me that he's going to start voting Democrat at the state level down, because he doesn't like how the Republicans treat educators (he's bought into the teachers union bs). I've also heard his wife say in the past that they will never have a gun in their home because it's too dangerous around children.

Well, after determining what he intended to do with it (home defence, some sport shooting, maybe small game hunting) I recommended a pump action 20 gauge shotgun. We also talked about gun safety, storage, ammo selection, etc. Well, he ended up buying a 10/22. Not the greatest HD option, but it's a gun, and it'll fulfill his other goals just fine. He's excited about it and wants to go shoot, so I'm planning to set something up with him when all this subsides. I'm hoping this is just the first step into a full-blown gun hobby for him.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Big Grin I wouldn't worry. Those pesky .22s are infamous for sucking people in.