SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest gun buying panic is different than the others
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest gun buying panic is different than the others Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Gun store in Indiana. Previous panics addressed pending gun control legislation, so the panic buyers were people who already owned guns and were concerned about being able to continue their hobby.
This time, it's mostly first-time gun buyers who fear for their lives. The narrator tells the story of a woman who came into the store and said "My husband is very anti-gun but we sat down and discussed it and we think we should have a gun in the house." Yeah welcome to reality, ma'am. Shit, the "man of the house" couldn't even do the buying.

Notice he says that people want pump shotguns, not AR-15s. This makes sense if you've never handled firearms. The pump shotgun will be easier to learn how to operate. It also makes sense since the shotgun is a close to medium range firearm, and people are buying to defend their homes. He says people were buying firearms based upon the ammunition available in the store. He had police trade-in Beretta 9mm pistols in the store, but people weren't buying them because he was sold out of 9mm ammo. They bought things like .410 shotguns instead, simply because he had ammunition for the .410. Very telling.

Available ammunition in the store when he made this video? 357 SIG, 45 Colt, .30-30, .30-06 and some .410 game loads. Shit, that .30-30 would make for a crackerjack home defense round. I've never owned a .30-30. I should consider getting one.

And hey, who needs training, right? Roll Eyes Well, you couldn't find a handgun class right now anywhere in this country anyway. Ya think maybe you should have done all this when you didn't have to stand in a line fifty deep to buy a gun?

Colion Noir's take on this. He shreds the phony, pissing little mangina boy in the video.

Yeah, that's right, mangina boy- some guy puttng the word "coronavirus" in his Armslist ad is evidence that the gun industry is exploiting people. Idiot. The people want to buy guns. No one is compelling them, unless you want to blame the news media.

Here, for the pissiest of the pissy little girly men who cry about legal gun ownership in this nation I post the classic "Chuck with leaves"

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
It was stated by a former member long ago that the 30-30 carbine is the most versatile gun you can own.

I believed it then, and still do. Now to replace the one that left with my ex...

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the best news about this latest panic buy period is that there is nothing overtly political driving it. That is to say it's not because of an election (yet anyway) or a mass shooting, or a law change. You also have the likelihood that people's wallets will be tight for a while as things resume and probably backorders being made by dealers resulting in overstock as they catch up.

Hopefully those factors all conspire to keep prices low and result in a relatively rapid return to normal.

(And don't forget all of the regret sales when these people decide they should have saved their money and don't want to have guns anymore...)

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is one of the silver linings of this virus nonsense. It's gonna be kinda hard to defend your anti-gun views when you were seen standing in line at the local gun store last week. I'm telling you guys- this little exercise has changed some minds on gun control, and when all is said and done, I see fewer attempts at gun control legislation. Think about those people in Virginia who purchased their first firearm last week? How do you think some of them may now feel on the subject of future gun control legislation in their state?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to see Biden harp on gun control measures when his constituents were running out and panic buying.

ETA, you beat me to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“tactical hypnosis” Big Grin

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Apparently no waiting period in Indiana. These types of new buyers in places like California are now shocked to learn that even if the local gun shop is open for business and has a firearm they'd like to buy, they'll have to wait for ten business days before picking it up..., that is if the store is allowed to remain open for business as an "essential service provider."

Welcome to reality!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So true dropped by my LGS last week, store was abnormally full of first time shoppers, and there was a small line outside, even in the previous panics I'd not seen lines, even though part of the line was to redue the amount of people in at one time due to COVID-19 rules the company put in place.

Separate line for Ammo, they let me right in being a good customer, and I bought two boxes of 22 win-mag anyway.

It's a good thing to see sales rocking at the stores.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
LA County Sheriff orders gun stores to close; adds 1,300 deputies to patrol

https://www.foxla.com/news/la-...0-deputies-to-patrol

Governor Doug Ducey’s recent Executive Order 2020-12 designates “firearm and ammunition suppliers and retailers for purposes of safety and security” under "Essential Businesses and Operations," exempting them from being shut down during this state of emergency. In doing so, Gov. Ducey properly upheld Arizona Revised Statute 26-303.J, which your NRA helped to pass, and reaffirms that the Second Amendment is the law of the land while other jurisdictions are using the pandemic as an excuse to strip Americans of their fundamental right of self-defense.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
There were plenty of anecdotes about people trying to buy firearms in CA, and coming across the 10 day waiting period. And paperwork and background checks. They actually believed Obama's words that it was easier to buy a Glock than a computer or a book.

These people finally realized that LE may not be there to protect their lives. And Bloomberg and his minions can't say shit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It is a fascinating development. Kind of blows the gun-grabbers' entire "the majority of the American public supports more gun control" argument out of the water Smile

Especially since many of those who suddenly decided providing for one's own defense isn't a bad idea, after all, may no longer be quite so interested in seeing firearms availability restricted, and many of those who thought they could wander in to the corner five-and-dime and just pick one up will have found it's not that easy, after all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Previous panics addressed pending gun control legislation, so the panic buyers were people who already owned guns and were concerned about being able to continue their hobby.

I've noticed this as well.
In 2008-2009 I added a few new (used actually, often purchased from other members here) guns to what I already had. This time, I'm adding nothing.
Well.... I do have a longer-range rifle build in mind, but I'm waiting for the right deal.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
LA County Sheriff orders gun stores to close; adds 1,300 deputies to patrol

Huh???

Marijuana dispensaries are deemed ‘essential’ in LA, allowed to stay open during coronavirus order

POSTED 9:23 AM, MARCH 20, 2020, BY CNN WIRE

With California residents being asked to stay at home to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and all "non-essential businesses and areas" being closed down, officials in Los Angeles are making sure that marijuana is still available to the public.

Marijuana dispensaries are being deemed as "essential businesses," as they are allowed to remain open under the state's "Safer at Home" order.

Los Angeles has "cannabis dispensaries with a medicinal cannabis license" listed under "essential infrastructure" or "healthcare operations" that are exempt from closing...

Complete article:

https://q13fox.com/2020/03/20/...g-coronavirus-order/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
It is crazy out here in Vegas area. Two local gun store are almost out of ANY firearms, as picture above. Ammunition is also almost out. There are still line outside the stores everyday, waiting to get inside. It is definitely different.

For first time buyers, it normally take 15-30 mins to run the background check, and go home with your firearm. As of yesterday, my friend was told it "may" take 5-10 days to receive a response for a background check due to the SURGE in volume of applicants.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
They waited...fuck 'em.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
Same story in my state, Connecticut, with a twist. All the liberal newbies, who said it was SO EASY TO BUY WEAPONS OF WAR, AND ASAULT WEAPONS, found they Couldn't buy since they didn't have permits for guns and ammo. AND, the govt IS NOT processing new permits right now !!! Big Grin. NO CONTACT FOR FINGERPRINTS.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
Same story in my state, Connecticut, with a twist. All the liberal newbies, who said it was SO EASY TO BUY WEAPONS OF WAR, AND ASAULT WEAPONS, found they Couldn't buy since they didn't have permits for guns and ammo. AND, the govt IS NOT processing new permits right now !!! Big Grin. NO CONTACT FOR FINGERPRINTS.

Ha ha. FUCK.THEM.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the silver linings of this virus nonsense. It's gonna be kinda hard to defend your anti-gun views when you were seen standing in line at the local gun store last week. I'm telling you guys- this little exercise has changed some minds on gun control, and when all is said and done, I see fewer attempts at gun control legislation. Think about those people in Virginia who purchased their first firearm last week? How do you think some of them may now feel on the subject of future gun control legislation in their state?

I think there will be less of a push, but I don't underestimate humanity's capacity for hypocrisy. You see plenty of Fudds who hunt once a year perfectly OK with banning those evil black rifles. The people that bought pump shotguns because that's what Uncle Joe told them to get aren't going to fight for AR's.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
From what I'm hearing around Michigan, it's mostly first time gun buyers. Never had one but they want one now!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
It was stated by a former member long ago that the 30-30 carbine is the most versatile gun you can own.

I believed it then, and still do. Now to replace the one that left with my ex...

I would respectfully disagree and place that honor on the 12ga pump shotgun.

Tremendous versatility --

Only major drawback practically speaking is lack of longer range capability.

-----------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post