SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest gun buying panic is different than the others
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest gun buying panic is different than the others Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
Same story in my state, Connecticut, with a twist. All the liberal newbies, who said it was SO EASY TO BUY WEAPONS OF WAR, AND ASAULT WEAPONS, found they Couldn't buy since they didn't have permits for guns and ammo. AND, the govt IS NOT processing new permits right now !!! Big Grin. NO CONTACT FOR FINGERPRINTS.

Ha ha. FUCK.THEM.

Yes indeed. Frankly I rather wish that stores would require it as a condition of sale for an NRA membership to be purchased at the same time.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even here in gun friendly Arizona there is a bit of panic. I went into chain store cal ranch which has a pretty decent gun section and they have a sign up all handgun ammo sold out. Same with 223,7.62-39, even 30-30.
I have a reasonable supply of centerfire ammo and plenty of stuff to reload it if need be, my primary consumption is .22 and I get twitchy when my stock falls below a case. So bought a brick because it was here.
Went to a small shop I frequent and a gun came in behind me and asked where the 9mm was. I pointed it out to him ( store probably had about 20 boxes on the shelf of fmj and a healthy supply of various defense loads) and the guy said he thinks it is the only place in town with any 9mm available. And despite being a fairly small town ( what is referred to as the quad cities - Prescott Prescott valley chino valley and Dewey ) we have about 20 brick and mortar gun shops

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
You don't know stress until you're one day into a ten day waiting period for your single shot 410 and box of birdshot and the county sheriff is letting 1500 inmates out today

Imagine if the state deems gun shops and ranges non-essential and they shut them down like in my state. I’m sure that makes some warm fuzzies.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I wasn't always a strong supporter of gun rights. I grew up casually hunting a couple of time a year with my father, but pistols made me nervous. Of course, I only had an impression of some guns and some gun owners, not a thought out philosophy. I certainly was not part of a gun culture.

That changed as a young man when I lived in a rough neighborhood and a nearby double murder. I had someone I cared about and wanted to be able to protect her. So I started to educate myself. The place I found was SIGforum. I learned more than the how-tos. I learned the whys. The presumptions that were challenged here built a more comprehensive philosophy surrounding gun rights, and even more, a free man's relationship with his government. Since then I've been a staunch gun rights advocate. It happened here. Check the date - that's a long time.

Many of those who were not born into an appreciation for guns or an explicit philosophy have had a moment in which things changed. For my parents it was a break-in. You know the cliches - for others it's getting mugged. But positive interactions with other gun owners - before or after that moment - make a difference in how they understand their experience.

This panic has potential on a much larger scale. Presumptions are proven wrong. Fears are uncovered. And all so publicly. All in an environment in which everyone seemingly shares everything about their everyday. Conversations will be had, and you all may have an opportunity to shape that conversation without even knowing it. And so what if they return to their previous stance against guns in the next 6 months? What exactly does that cost you? Nothing. But what might be gained, if only among a minority?

Some of you don't want to win - you want to fight. That's worth some consideration.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Downside of all the newbies is a fair portion of this generation of owners will be idiots:
- no skills or interest in learning any leading to.....
- unsafe and downright irresponsible firearms handling.

So after the Covid dust settles - how long before the uptick in accidents, ND's and stolen weapons does this come back for the media to bite ALL gunowners in the ass?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's a shorter barrel 12 gauge pump left for sale in the country and buckshot is gone too.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^I'd speculate most of the first-time buyers aren't the hard-core anti-gunners, many of whom claim to the effect they'd rather be a victim than armed with those horrible, horrible guns. We're probably talking middle of the road folks (ie like the majority of America).

As said before, there is an opportunity to get at least some sliver of the newly converted involved. Take them from 'panic buyers' to 'fellow shooters.' You won't make a dent with the 'what was I thinking/forgive me' crowd, but some of the moderates might be reachable. And if they can be turned, maybe they'll turn one of their friends...or two.

'Ya know, I bought that pistol with all that coronavirus business, and one of my neighbors took me to the range, met a great bunch of guys and gals...taught me safety, how to shoot, let me shoot some of their guns...it was awesome. I never knew how fun it is...'

Much better than the alternative.

Not sure what all the hate for the shotgun is...while not the apex tool in all situations, particularly for those not accustomed to recoil (like many newbies will be), for home defense far better than being completely unarmed. At most 'in the home /social distances' it can be devastating, particularly with buckshot or slugs. A 20 ga. with slugs is one of the better kept secrets out there...

And let's face it, the schack-thack of a pump 12 ga. being cycled is a universal language most don't want to be on the receiving end of.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of you don't want to win - you want to fight. That's worth some consideration.

Well said, Dan.

Let's welcome those who can be reached. It costs us nothing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I have 6 friends who’ve put off getting firearms until now. Mainly because they didn’t have the “experience” of shooting much. The real reason is that they’re pussy whipped by their wives.

3 of those friends live in PA and just were able to purchase pistols before the rush.

The other 3...well, they live in NJ and they along with the rest of the bozos are gonna go through that ass rape process. Probably by the time they get a permit, there will be no guns left.

I’ve been nothing but supportive of all of them, but I’ve been telling them for years that they owe it to their young families to have some protection.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
So after the Covid dust settles - how long before the uptick in accidents, ND's and stolen weapons does this come back for the media to bite ALL gunowners in the ass?

This is my thinking as well.

Hopefully classes are filling up at a rate comparable to that of the guns going out of shops doors.

Posts: 257 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Maybe the NRA is missing an opportunity here.

How about a Men On Target program to introduce these non shooters to the sport? Or Families On Target? We already have Women On Target.

If I were the NRA, I’d be incessantly cranking out safety/ welcome messages to these new gun owners. I’d share that shit all over Facebook.

Not just the NRA, all the rest too. Even talking about home invasions and shit.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
It costs us nothing.

Except for a bit of the oh-so-delicious Schadenfreude of being able to say, “I told you so,” to people whom we really don’t like. Roll Eyes

I am actually disgusted by some of the sentiments expressed here. Nose, it was nice knowing you. But as I’ve said before, at least discussions like this allow us to learn things that wouldn’t be obvious otherwise.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Matthew 25:1-13 King James Version (KJV)

1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
I have a friend who bought his first gun last Thursday. He bought some 870 clone that came with a “tactical” and a hunting barrel. He called and told he and his wife thought it important for them to have a shotgun for self-defense.

Not the 'first gun' I'd choose. Hopefully he's shot a shotgun before.

Hopefully you have some time to spend with him and make sure he knows how to use and and basic safety rules.

Unfortunately, he lives over an hour away and I’m not traveling right now. Fortunately, he has fired guns in the past including shotguns. From what he said, it sounded like it was about his only choice. The part that troubled me was that he only bought (or could find) #2 3” steel and 2 3/4 #4 lead hunting rounds. I sent him back to try and find some buckshot or slugs. We did talk about recoil.

Find some good YouTube videos and websites, send them his way. Have a good conversation over the phone and go over four rules and anything else you think he needs refreshing on. I shot a shotgun for the first time in 20+ years a couple years back. The 12 gauge surprised me a bit, hadn't shot one since I was a teen. Hit every birdie and even spun the spinner first try.

I'd be uncomfortable with that as my only defense, but I'm a handgun guy, not a rifle guy.

Hopefully you can point him in the right direction.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First they made a run on TP. Then a run on all canned and frozen veggies. Last the run on guns and ammo to protect their TP & Veggies.

Thank the founders for the 2nd Amendment to protect your TP and veggies stash.

Yes, Para, it will be interesting to see how the gun grabbers fare in the immediate future.

Interesting to see the female of the species override their anti-gun male of the species in getting some heat. Proves that the female of the species often wear the pants in addition to the skirt. Besides, the fairer sex is actually on average a better shot too.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
[QUOTE]
Find some good YouTube videos and websites, send them his way. Have a good conversation over the phone and go over four rules and anything else you think he needs refreshing on. I shot a shotgun for the first time in 20+ years a couple years back. The 12 gauge surprised me a bit, hadn't shot one since I was a teen. Hit every birdie and even spun the spinner first try.

I'd be uncomfortable with that as my only defense, but I'm a handgun guy, not a rifle guy.

Hopefully you can point him in the right direction.

Some good suggestions.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a friend who bought his first gun last Thursday. He bought some 870 clone that came with a “tactical” and a hunting barrel. He called and told he and his wife thought it important for them to have a shotgun for self-defense.

On Monday a co-worker told me her son bought a gun for self-defense - "...a .22 pistol because he doesn't want to kill anybody, just knock them down. You know, shoot them in one leg and if they don't go down then shoot them in the other leg or an arm."

This is the co-worker who has stated out loud that she is an avowed Communist and believes everything she reads in the New York Times is the absolute truth. In the past I have offered gun-related advice when asked, and every time I ended my recommendations with get training from a good source.

Her son fell right next to the idiot tree and has the same willful ignorance as his mother. I went to one of the local gun stores early on Tuesday and although the owner said they've been doing a brisk business, the counters had plenty of Sigs, Glocks, Colts, etc. I even got to handle a Kimber 6s - which is very nice, by the way, but I need to see how much difference there is between that and my 2.5" S&W Model 19.

When I reminded her that he ought to get training, her response was, "Well nobody's open now but maybe later he will." This co-worker knows nothing about guns beyond what she has seen on tv in movies or new. She knows I've been a "gun guy" since I was a kid and have experience and knowledge in the area of firearms, yet she tells me the above bullshit as if she's an authority on the subject.

My point is that I believe there are far fewer middle-ground converts than others in this thread think there are. If in the last ten years someone hasn't already purchased a firearm and taken the time to get instruction in its proper use and safety, they aren't a middle-grounder. The people panic buying now are the ones who haven't supported the 2 Amendment in the past, and won't in the future. They are just the selfish and the ignorant Leftists/Progressives who don't have enough self-awareness to acknowledge their hypocrisy.

Edit to add:

If asked by any of these new gun people, I will give advice and help on whatever topic they want to talk about. But not for a moment do I believe they will become a 2A supporter. It would be a pleasant surprise to hear, though, if anyone here has that experience with a new gun person after this crisis and a couple of years have passed.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Completely agree with this.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Matthew 25:1-13 King James Version (KJV)

1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

Amen to this.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

My point is that I believe there are far fewer middle-ground converts than others in this thread think there are. If in the last ten years someone hasn't already purchased a firearm and taken the time to get instruction in its proper use and safety, they aren't a middle-grounder. The people panic buying now are the ones who haven't supported the 2 Amendment in the past, and won't in the future. They are just the selfish and the ignorant Leftists/Progressives who don't have enough self-awareness to acknowledge their hypocrisy.

Certainly some are, but there's probably many that truly hate firearms enough, they'd rather be victims than gun owners.

I think there are many moderates that have been on the fence for awhile and this is the tipping point. Procrastination is a real thing. And lets face it, if you've not done it before, folks might be intimidated by the prospect. Plus, quality firearms might not be easily affordable for many (myself included). Going in a dropping a few hundred bucks or more isn't easy for everyone, especially if they're not really interested in them. Think of a interesting hobby that you're not really into...say astronomy. The thought of going and spending a few hundred bucks on a telescope is probably not really appealing, no matter how cool astronomers think it is.

Mr. Noir's YT video shows some of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZZJitkKvA

I was looking at some photos earlier this evening...man, some of them were 13-14 years old (which is nothing), but to the point above (procrastination), its amazing fast time flies..

And then something like current events comes along, and, well...we see what's happening

As a side note...reasoning many seem to be buying is interesting...seems to be underlying concerns of full-on civil unrest...not the more 'typical' criminal activity concerns (that didn't motivate them enough to buy in the past).

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post