SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest gun buying panic is different than the others
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest gun buying panic is different than the others Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Two months ago, my son and I discussed how well off we are with respect to this subject. Then, after reading this thread, I asked him if he might be interested in selling while the demand is high. We both agreed: We're not that well off!

Maybe it's just impossible to ever feel so well off that you'd be willing to sell? Eek Big Grin

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:

Maybe it's just impossible to ever feel so well off that you'd be willing to sell? Eek Big Grin

Well, there's that! Big Grin

Like I said in the related how much ammo do you have thread; I never have enough, but I have enough unless there is a major insurrection.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People that grew up in gun owning families don’t know how intimidating it is just to go into a store and ask questions. I lurked here for over a year getting all the info I could on the firearm laws and safety precautions before I could even feel comfortable going into the LGS.

Before I joined my local gun club, I anguished over it for weeks because I was sure they would reject me because I didn’t know anything about guns.

If you see somebody at your range that looks like a noob, introduce yourself and ask if you can help. It might make a big difference for them and encourage them to stick with shooting.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Strange, I have not felt any interest in buying any more guns or ammo recently.

Does this mean I have enough?
I'm in the same boat. (Well, I have purchased a little ammo, mostly because it was a good deal, but before the panic. And within the last 6 months I have bought a couple of guns online--pick them up at a nice little shop in Wylie, Texas. I haven't shot them, yet, though.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Strange, I have not felt any interest in buying any more guns or ammo recently.

Does this mean I have enough?
I'm in the same boat. (Well, I have purchased a little ammo, mostly because it was a good deal, but before the panic. And within the last 6 months I have bought a couple of guns online--pick them up at a nice little shop in Wylie, Texas. I haven't shot them, yet, though.)

flashguy

I lived in Wylie when it had 2500 people. I bought my dad a Winchester 1906 pump .22 at an antique store there when I was 10 in 1981 - Father's Day gift, Mom gave me the $$. It was $75 and they let me walk out of there with it. Those were the days. I have that gun now and still shoot it.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t have minded having a few more hollow points for the G19. It’s hardly a crisis though, and I have enough practice ammo and rifle fuel for quite some time. No standing 5 hours in the rain here.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:

Well, there's that! Big Grin

Like I said in the related how much ammo do you have thread; I never have enough, but I have enough unless there is a major insurrection.

So germane to my conversation with my son tonight. He has a work colleague who has never owned a firearm and is having difficulty in finding a 9mm. My son knows I have a P30 I despise and would I be interested in selling it to his friend. Let me sleep on that was my response.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
^^For all the States that have enacted 'universal BGC'...congrats...being able to buy or simply borrow a gun from a friend in times like these is a no-go without the trip to the FFL, which in some places is taking weeks to complete.

Living in a free state has its advantages. Gift or sell it to them face-to-face.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
^^For all the States that have enacted 'universal BGC'...congrats...being able to buy or simply borrow a gun from a friend in times like these is a no-go without the trip to the FFL, which in some places is taking weeks to complete.

Living in a free state has its advantages. Gift or sell it to them face-to-face.

Not a good idea...illegal if not an immediate family member.

And this was a much freer state just a few years ago.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I'm gonna disagree.

I do too. Wrong is wrong regardless of who is victimized.
I have no great hope that the experiences of all the new gun buyers will result in meaningful changes to how our rights are infringed, but even a few converts or at least a few more who understand our position on waiting periods are better than none.

And regardless of how many new converts rally to our cause, the rest of us should keep the lessons of this crisis in mind for the future. One thing in particular is that although many gun rights supporters don’t object to “universal” background checks and the elimination of private sales, this demonstrates what can easily happen when antigun rights authorities can halt gun transfers entirely by fiat in ways they could only dream of doing normally. The antis’ mantra is, “No, no, no; this won’t affect the ability of the law-abiding to acquire guns, so you have no reason to oppose this common sense measure,” but now we’re seeing that such laws do exactly that when coupled with other measures.

Agree, and I do hope folks like the NRA and others are looking at this as an opportunity to challenge some of these measures. Real easy for a bureaucrat to simply close down the permitting offices due to some "emergency".

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Boss

Maybe illegal, maybe not....Neither of you have a listed location/state, so nobody 'really' knows. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just for the hexx of it, I reloaded some 223 ammo yesterday. My prairie dogging trip out west is still on for June. I have more to finish up today.

Just like a run on T.P., I don’t think 5000 rounds of ammo will do much about Covid-19.

I did meet a guy a week ago, near about gun neutral. He mentioned maybe he should be buying a gun? I said yes you should, at the least you’ll be wanting to teach your kids as they get older.

I told him now wasn’t the best time, but start working on it.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Boss

Maybe illegal, maybe not....Neither of you have a listed location/state, so nobody 'really' knows. Wink

Boss1 is in Washington like me, where for a minute just handing someone your gun without doing a background check was a crime. No private sales, and all semi auto rifles are "assault weapons" with further background checks and restrictions and such, all thanks to Bloomberg, our Governor Douche Sock, and Sideshow Bob our attorney general, all of whom I hope get the COVID and it hurts.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
People that grew up in gun owning families don’t know how intimidating it is just to go into a store and ask questions. I lurked here for over a year getting all the info I could on the firearm laws and safety precautions before I could even feel comfortable going into the LGS.

Before I joined my local gun club, I anguished over it for weeks because I was sure they would reject me because I didn’t know anything about guns.

If you see somebody at your range that looks like a noob, introduce yourself and ask if you can help. It might make a big difference for them and encourage them to stick with shooting.

Welcome Brother. Good suggestions since not everyone was brought up in a gun friendly environment. In this time of uncertainty it's nice to reach out and help others as able.

This can be a solitary sport But like fishermen we like to talk and share knowledge and experiences.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
So germane to my conversation with my son tonight. He has a work colleague who has never owned a firearm and is having difficulty in finding a 9mm. My son knows I have a P30 I despise and would I be interested in selling it to his friend. Let me sleep on that was my response.

Thread drift, but why do you hate your HK P30 so much?

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Take it to email or start a thread on the subject, plese.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did say living in a free state.
It's legal, here (IN).

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I did see a video recently of a prediction that this panic buy will lead to a glut of 'used' firearms in the market in the upcoming months. This particular shop have waiting period and/or delayed background are already seeing people initially buying 2 or 3 firearms having buyer remorse and asking to back out on one or more of their firearms. Their policy is a restocking fee since they were unable to sell these guns while they were being held. That made them go through with the sale. But you wonder how many of the people bought several things and decide they don't need the 2 pistol, a shotgun, and/or rifle?

I think that there is some legitimate expectation that used prices will be much lower as the inventory of used guns increase. That coupled with the upcoming election, you wonder what will happen.

And then there is the ammunition panic buy....

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
I did see a video recently of a prediction that this panic buy will lead to a glut of 'used' firearms in the market in the upcoming months.
Yeah, if you have cash money in the summer / fall / winter and I bet there will be plenty of good deals to be had.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Many gun stores went broke after the panic buying in 2016. Everyone bought so much stuff that people went years without buying anything else. I made a ton of great buys on new guns during 2017.

So it's not just used guns. There will be a lot of new gun and ammo sales as well.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post