SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The latest gun buying panic is different than the others
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The latest gun buying panic is different than the others Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The store I part time in is selling out of guns. By November we will be buying them back.

Kentucky has a law that prevents the government from closing gun stores or interfering with sales, even in an "emergency." And a concealed carry permit enables you to buy without a NICS check. Glad I chose this place to live.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I never gave guns a second thought until Katrina. And I had no idea how bad California’s laws were. I learned in a hurry (none of my Sigs are on the roster anymore). My local shop was very helpful which was important because being in Los Angeles, The only gun owner I knew shot a Ruger Vaquero with mouse farts and thought semi-autos were too dangerous. We’re no longer friends.

I took it seriously. Attended an NRA safety class before buying my gun. Asked a lot of dumb questions and got good advice. Being in this ass backwards state, I appreciate the schadenfreude everyone is feeling. But reach out to these people. Even if they are democrats.

I’ll also add, I’ve had to put up with Trump Derangement Syndrome from my closest friends and family. Now it’s mixed with genuine fear. The panic is worse than the disease, after all this is done, I’m going to lose a lot of relationships. It’s sad.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I said something along the lines of this in the Covid thread. Have fun protecting yourself with your 5-round shotty. Idiots.

And they would’ve expended two of those rounds if they followed Slow Joe’s advice.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I said something along the lines of this in the Covid thread. Have fun protecting yourself with your 5-round shotty. Idiots.

I have a couple riot type guns placed in the house and one at my shop, ,

and likely a SIG on my hip or S&W mod 40 in my pocket,, or nearby if I am in my Jammies,

never felt undergunned,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the silver linings of this virus nonsense. It's gonna be kinda hard to defend your anti-gun views when you were seen standing in line at the local gun store last week. I'm telling you guys- this little exercise has changed some minds on gun control, and when all is said and done, I see fewer attempts at gun control legislation. Think about those people in Virginia who purchased their first firearm last week? How do you think some of them may now feel on the subject of future gun control legislation in their state?

I think there will be less of a push, but I don't underestimate humanity's capacity for hypocrisy. You see plenty of Fudds who hunt once a year perfectly OK with banning those evil black rifles. The people that bought pump shotguns because that's what Uncle Joe told them to get aren't going to fight for AR's.

I guarantee if the evil black rifle was the last one on the shelf, the hypocrites would be snapping it right up along with a “box” of ammo. When they found out a “box” is more than likely only 2/3 of a magazine in a free state, the lights would start coming on in the windows as they reach for their wallets.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll take one convert over none.

Spot on! Far too many gunowners seem to believe that the only people who don't own/shoot guns are "commies". Pretty damn ignorant to paint with that broad of a brush. There's plenty of potential converts to our side (supporters of the 2nd Amendment) who simply haven't developed an opinion one way or the other about personally owning or shooting firearms. Failing to take this opportunity to educate potential allies is very different from trying to convert dedicated enemies. There's a vast middle ground that is and should be cultivated.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion gun control is like many things: a set number of people are for it, a set number set against and a large middle ground that doesn't care because it doesn't effect them.

In re: the new panic - I would bet that most, if not all, of those 1st time buyers are getting a GRAPHIC example of the bullshit that gun owners are having to deal with. And for them, I say "Welcome to reality, we have memberships and jackets!" And try and shepard and nurture them as much as possible. BUT for all those who are crawling in from the "I hate guns" camp but I need one now - to you I say "I'll happily promise to defend you and yours for the low, low price of $25,000 each paid in hard currency in advance." Suckers.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

...Colion Noir's take on this. He shreds the phony, pissing little mangina boy in the video...

For the first few seconds of that video, until mangina boy showed his face, I thought that was Elizabeth Warren's voice.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Being in this ass backwards state, I appreciate the schadenfreude everyone is feeling. But reach out to these people. Even if they are democrats.

I’ll also add, I’ve had to put up with Trump Derangement Syndrome from my closest friends and family. Now it’s mixed with genuine fear. The panic is worse than the disease, after all this is done, I’m going to lose a lot of relationships. It’s sad.

sigalert: Hang in there. My son is in Cali. I have cousins there. I know what it's like there.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Received this today from Freedom Munitions regarding their order backlog. Apparently this fella is the new owner. I knew they had experienced many problems the last few years, but didn't know they had changed hands. I haven't bought from them in quite some time (quality issues). I wish the new owner success, as he seems to be responsible, focused and proactive regarding this crunch time. I can only imagine what the really large distributors must be going through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...WQA&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
The store I part time in is selling out of guns. By November we will be buying them back.

Cool. What's good that's going to be available cheap?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:

Exactly. Being bent over for years now, and great to see the other side get the sausage for a turn.

I'm gonna disagree. Sure, there may be some sweet irony, but a gun owner is a gun owner, and I hate to see ANY of US denied our rights.

We have a chance to win converts here. Let's not mess it up by trying to 'rub it in their faces.'

I disagree. While some of these may be new converts, many will be hypocrites. Remember MARK KELLY, pushing gun control while trying to buy a ar-15 ? And all the other "Democrat" polititions saying they aren't out for our guns? Many of us behind enemy lines have been screwed, repeatedly the last 10 years. Through lies, deception, and ignorance.

And no, they weren't denied their rights. They never went through the hoops, classes, finger prints, background checks, and $ to exercise your 2nd amendment. It's like touching a hot stove, and you learn a lesson quickly.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna pass on the argument whether these newbies deserve what they're getting, or whether we should welcome them with open arms... I have very mixed feelings on the whole subject and will probably argue with myself before I'm done! Big Grin

But, I will say this... I feel VERY fortunate to live where I do here in North Alabama. Despite the fact that I probably have a lifetime supply of ammo, especially .22LR, I decided to go to my favorite LGS to see what was available. I walked out with the daily limit on .40S&W range ammo, plus two bricks of CCI SV .22LR for $29.95 each! There was PLENTY more available of just about anything you could want, and all of the display cabinets were full as usual. As Larry's billboards state, they have "thousands of guns and millions of rounds of ammo". While the ammo may be below a million now, no doubt it is still in the mid hundred-thousands, and plenty of guns to feed it to. Wink

Cheers!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Don't get too excited about the buy back thing. If you read, many are Hi Points or other things that most of us consider junk. Its good that others feel they are protected, but I stopped buying junk decades ago. I've even sold off the guns I feel are off brand a long time ago. I don't follow the advice of not carrying a great gun because it might be confiscated if I need to shoot some idiot. Better to have plugged him with a prime piece than to get a Lorcin shoved up my bazoo by a laughing criminal.

Another upside to all this. I get to put a nice gun or two within easy reach. Loaded and ready to play. Wife doesn't caution about the grand kids maybe coming to visit. They aren't, and shouldn't be touching my toys. I can't even remember when I bought a new gun. I gotta think on that one.

Please don't pity me, I do have a gun somewhere. Well, maybe. And I've got enough ammo. I recently answered a thread here by saying I've got more than enough. Every time I read one of these threads, I think maybe I need another, and a boatload of ammo within easy reach. Oh, and knives, the pointy sticky kind. I don't have one within reach! Gotta correct that, too.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
A-hole sheriff of Wake County (think Raleigh) has suspended processing of NEW pistol permit applications. He says he is getting too many applications and cant handle it. Existing apps will be processed.

As someone who's [a little] familiar with your area of NC, I say: "Hey, Sheriff, quit your complaining and hire some help."

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who bought his first gun last Thursday. He bought some 870 clone that came with a “tactical” and a hunting barrel. He called and told he and his wife thought it important for them to have a shotgun for self-defense.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I have a friend who bought his first gun last Thursday. He bought some 870 clone that came with a “tactical” and a hunting barrel. He called and told he and his wife thought it important for them to have a shotgun for self-defense.

Not the 'first gun' I'd choose. Hopefully he's shot a shotgun before.

Hopefully you have some time to spend with him and make sure he knows how to use and and basic safety rules.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
While some of these folks are certainly hypocritical first time commie gun buyers, I'd be willing to bet that many more of them just didn't care one way or the other until now. I believe there's hope for these people.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took a trip to a local Fleet Farm today to survey the damage to the firearms section and it wasn't as apocalyptic as I expected. The handgun shelves were pretty bare, but ammo was not nearly as depleted as I expected. 9mm and 5.56/223 were definitely light on inventory, but there was ammo left on the shelves in all calibers. They even had plenty of 22LR! I actually went there to pick up some 32acp, and from what I could tell, they were still fully stocked from the last time I was there a few weeks ago. I guess nobody carries pocket guns anymore. LOL.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Not the 'first gun' I'd choose. Hopefully he's shot a shotgun before.

Hopefully you have some time to spend with him and make sure he knows how to use and and basic safety rules.

Unfortunately, he lives over an hour away and I’m not traveling right now. Fortunately, he has fired guns in the past including shotguns. From what he said, it sounded like it was about his only choice. The part that troubled me was that he only bought (or could find) #2 3” steel and 2 3/4 #4 lead hunting rounds. I sent him back to try and find some buckshot or slugs. We did talk about recoil.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS is cleaned out of almost everything. Pretty soon the 75 year old sporterized milsurps in the used rack will be picked up. I’m good on ammo and other self defense guns of all types.

I’m just nervous because They are holding both a smith 63 and 43 both J frame 22 for me. They just came off the 30 day wait in CA for consignment sales Monday and now I need to sneak out to go DROS them. Thankfully I spend a lot of $$ per year in this shop and show my face at least weekly and the guys there know what I like. So they held them back for me to look at when they came in on consignment

I think these commies will just as soon go back to their commie ways as soon as this virus scare is over.

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post