SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Canon shooters who use flash, step inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canon shooters who use flash, step inside Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
LDD - you are getting great advice here, and there is not a lot I can add, especially to 911Boss.

In a venue like this one, getting the flash off-camera gives you much more control over what light goes where.

Also - although he goes into much more depth than you likely need just to get this job to work for you, I really love the tutorial "Lighting 101" found here: https://strobist.blogspot.com/...03/lighting-101.html

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will you be allowed to set up lighting not involving firing a flash from on camera directly at the subjects? If you can setup off camera lights, the photos will be far more flattering to the subjects.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
911boss has great advice. I'm not a flash guy generally, but his advice is sound.

As to the angling, I am a geek, and light is an inverse-square thing - twice the distance from your subject needs a 4 times more powerful flash. So the bounce off the back wall advice, while sound from an even-lighting perspective, would mean you'd have to have a nuclear flash.

Oh, and as 911boss says, can't get much better than the 5D4!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
What distance will you be from subjects? If you have to go with flash on camera, I'd opt for the flash pointing straight up and use a Rogue Flashbender (or clone thereof) to reflect and spread the light back to the subjects.

I can be as close as I want. Sounds like that will be a big advantage.

quote:
Will you be in one single spot?

The trade off to being able to move around is, yeah, I will not be able to set up any static lighting and I will also not have a light sherpa/caddy/slave-from-the-salt-mine. This one is a solo job, for better or worse.

quote:
Here is my recommendation:

Flash - Adorama Flashpoint R2 Zoom TTL - $199

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2ca.html

Less than 1/2 the cost of Canon's 600EX, and less than the 430EX. You get rechargeable li-on battery that has quick recycle times and rated for over 600 full power flashes on a single charge. Less than 1.5 second recycle for full power. Fraction of a second recycle with less than full power.

Works on camera and has built in transmitter/receiver if you decide you want to go off camera at some future point.

Nothing but rave reviews from folks over at Photography on the net forums. They convinced me to sell off my Canon clone/compatible Yongnuo YN600EX-RT units and pick up two of the R2 Zoom units as well as a couple of R2 strobes as well.

Settings can be changed via the flash unit or through your camera menus.

Modifier for on-camera, $9 clone of the $30 Rogue flash bender.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To go off camera add:
Basic stand - $35 from Amazon
Bowens bracket - $20 from Amazon
R2 transmitter - $45 Adorama/Amazon
Umbrella - $25 Amazon

$125 or less on top of the flash for a single off camera set up. $325 total.

I will definitely look into the flash--I won't be able to set up anything off camera (no stands, etc).

Thanks 911 Boss and everyone else who contributed advice!

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider a flash bracket & cord to get the flash off the camera.
At B&H $20 for a rotating bracket (shoot landscape or portrait w/ flash above lens) and $16 for off shoe cord.

Bracket
Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord

Also add some sort of diffuser to soften the light from the flash.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
An option to the flash bracket mentioned above, I prefer a flexible gooseneck to get flash off camera.

Lets me keep my "L" bracket on the body, little less bulky and don't have to fight the coiled cord.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c...ble_ttl_rod_for.html

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post

Oh - only one "N" cannon Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
[I do not have an add-on battery pack, do I need one to run a flash?]

To be clear, because the wording throughout this thread is a little confusing -

For this kind of thing, an external battery pack attached to the flash is very helpful.

The battery grip that attaches to the camera body is unnecessary.

I have one for my Nikon rig. Sadly the alkaline batteries I had in it leaked their corrosive goo all over the inside. I haven't gotten around to seeing if I can clean it up.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
An option to the flash bracket mentioned above, I prefer a flexible gooseneck to get flash off camera.

There is something perversely Dr. Seussical about that setup, although I'm sure it works for the intended purpose of separating the flash from the camera.

In other news--my 24-105 USM (I) shit the bed today. It's been temporarily replaced by a 70-200/2.8 USM II. Also: the only camera store in all of Puerto Rico is Best Buy Frown.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

There is something perversely Dr. Seussical about that setup, although I'm sure it works for the intended purpose of separating the flash from the camera.

Now that you mention it, I see it.

quote:
In other news--my 24-105 USM (I) shit the bed today...

One of my all-time favorite phrases from my days in the service. Just doesn't seem to be as readily used (let alone accepted) in the civilian sector...

quote:
It's been temporarily replaced by a 70-200/2.8 USM II. Also: the only camera store in all of Puerto Rico is Best Buy Frown.

Too bad, nice lens though, you may have a hard time giving it back...

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Do you mind if I piggy-back my question on your thread, LDD? It just happens to be more-or-less the question I was going to ask.

quote:

SLR digicam n00b, here. Was gifted a 20D. Once I figure out how to use it Razz, I imagine I'll eventually want a flash for it. Will that work on a 20D?

Five c-notes or more for a flash unit is pretty much out of the question.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon just came out with their own version of flashes. $28.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pT%2Bjt5L&ref=plSrch

This is a great website for flash info. It covers nearly everything.

https://strobist.blogspot.com/?m=1

If you haven't looked at them, the canon 85mm 1.8 is a great lens that will give you some faster apetures. Usually around $300, for the money it is very hard to beat.

Posts: 537 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

Oh - only one "N" cannon Wink
The "2-n" cannon also occurred to me, and the flash is what I would want (that gadget would hide it). I am "flashguy" after all....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Do you mind if I piggy-back my question on your thread, LDD? It just happens to be more-or-less the question I was going to ask.

quote:

SLR digicam n00b, here. Was gifted a D20. Once I figure out how to use it Razz, I imagine I'll eventually want a flash for it. Will that work on a D20?

Five c-notes or more for a flash unit is pretty much out of the question.

D20 or 20D? Most Canon flashes should be backward compatible with older models. If it is a 20D, that is a pretty old model. If you get it from Amazon and have Prime, if it doesn't work you can always return it at no charge.

Assuming you mean EOS 20D, my guess is it will work.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IHooah:

Just be aware that is a full manual flash, no TTL metering, flash bracketing, flash compensation, high speed sync, or any other features.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IHooah:

Canon flashes that were circa 2004 (when the 20D came out) were the Speedlites 220EX, 420EX, & the 580EX.

Check out keh.com

Canon 430EX Speedlite $115-126
Canon 430EX II Speedlite $149-159
Canon 580EX Speedlite $168-192
Canon 580EX II Speedlite $218-257

The 20D support TTL-II so any of the newer Speedlites will work too.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post