SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fiery exchange erupts at Senate tax session: ‘Don’t spew that stuff on me’
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiery exchange erupts at Senate tax session: ‘Don’t spew that stuff on me’ Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch has had enough of Democrats accusing GOP senators of pushing tax reform to benefit “the rich.”

In a Senate Finance Committee meeting Thursday where lawmakers ultimately endorsed the latest version of the GOP tax bill, Chairman Hatch, R-Utah, angrily rebuked Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown for again claiming the plan helps the wealthy and not the middle class.

“I come from the poor people. And I’ve been working my whole stinking career for people who don’t have a chance. And I really resent anybody saying I’m just doing this for the rich,” Hatch said in response to comments from Ohio Sen. Brown. “I think you guys overplay that all the time and it gets old and frankly you ought to quit it.”

Brown interrupted Hatch, saying: “Mr. Chairman, the public believes it.”

But a visibly irritated Hatch raised his hand and said: “Wait a minute! I’m not through.”

He continued, “I get kind of sick and tired of it. True, it’s a nice political play, but it’s not true.”

Brown fired back and said he “gets sick and tired of the richest people in the country ... getting richer and richer and richer.”

The hearing room, typically subdued, broke out into shouts and yells calling for “regular order, Mr. Chairman, order, order,” as Hatch began banging his gavel on the lectern throughout Brown’s rebuttal.

“We do a tax cut for the rich and the middle class gets [inaudible] over and over and over again,” Brown shouted amid the chaos. “How many times do we do this before we learn this?”

“Listen—I’ve honored you by allowing you to start off here and what you said is not right – that’s all I’m saying. I come from the lower middle class originally and we didn’t have anything,” Hatch said. “So don’t spew that stuff on me. I get a little tired of that crap.”

The explosive exchange occurred during the fourth day of a mark-up on The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), which was slightly altered by Hatch to temporarily cut taxes for individuals and ax the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 20 percent. The bill, which passed out of committee late Thursday 14-12, also includes a repeal of the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate.

Earlier in the day, the House passed its version of a tax bill in a 227-205 vote.

The legislation still faces hurdles in the full Senate. But Republicans celebrated the advance of the bills, claiming they would support the middle class in America, while denying Democratic lawmakers’ accusations that the bill favors the wealthy and big corporations and will potentially leave millions of Americans without health insurance.

Link

Video at https://www.realclearpolitics....y_help_the_rich.html

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It was broadcast on C-Span so there are some theatrics involved.

By COB, they'll be back patting each other on the backs on the Beltway cocktail circuit and high fiving as they sexually harass interns and staffers.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Aren't some of the richest congress critters democrats?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Hatch is only doing this because he might need to run again. We never hear from him until right before campaign time.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
It was broadcast on C-Span so there are some theatrics involved.

By COB, they'll be back patting each other on the backs on the Beltway cocktail circuit and high fiving as they sexually harass interns and staffers.

I doubt you find Hatch on the cocktail circuit, high fiving....

He is up for election in 2018, but is 83 yo.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Age won't stop Hatch. He says he'll run if Romney doesn't. They are both squishy progressive Republicans. Hatch does not want a real conservative to replace him. If Romney won't run or it looks like he may not prevail, Hatch will find yet another excuse to break his promise of only serving two terms. He's a dinosaur. He's been in office during the arc of this country's most precipitous decline. He is a do nothing, unprincipled, calculating brick in the wall between the people and true liberty.

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems a little late in the game for Hatch to begin developing a spine, but I suppose stranger things have happened. There's a lot of us that have grown tired of that 'tax cut for the rich' song and dance. It's about time someone called the bluff.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
As if the Left doesn't represent the Rich already.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

We need some common sense solving of disagreements.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
darthfuster, it's no good to keep your opinions to yourself. You need to speak your mind. Big Grin

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
When they go to blows, let me know. Short of that, its all just BS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
When they go to blows, let me know. Short of that, its all just BS.

Yea that's true. Everyone needs sound bytes for their respective bases. I'd wager, being a Friday, they were sipping martinis together at some posh club after the few hours of "tough" work they put in for the week.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, whatever. Y'all can be cynical, but I appreciate nonetheless Hatch going off on that slimy democrat. I'm just so darn tired hearing that crap over and over again about a "tax break for the rich." Sick and tired.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I've always considered Hatch one of the really admirable among those of his profession. This is not to say I have agreed with every one of his votes, etc. but he has always been a man of intelligence and integrity, and very tolerant of the antics of others, up to a point which was apparently exceeded yesterday.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
darthfuster, it's no good to keep your opinions to yourself. You need to speak your mind. Big Grin

Big Grin Sometimes I get a little frothy.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, whatever. Y'all can be cynical, but I appreciate nonetheless Hatch going off on that slimy democrat. I'm just so darn tired hearing that crap over and over again about a "tax break for the rich." Sick and tired.

Of course you are right. He said the right thing. I just wish he would have fought it decades ago...

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Of course you are right. He said the right thing. I just wish he would have fought it decades ago...

No doubt. None of this changes the fact that I would've voted him out a decade ago if given the chance (I've only been in Utah since 2005). I like Hatch, but he's well past the time that he should be retired from public service.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post