SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Korean Bulgogi Beef
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korean Bulgogi Beef Login/Join 
posted
Several years ago I happened across some random Korean restaurant in Austin, TX of all places. I had asked the waiter what they recommended and they said their Bulgogi Beef was the best in the city. I had never had Bulgogi beef and really only been to Korean restaurants a handful of times. It was absolutely fantastic. I have searched the internet and tried about 6 different recipes at home, and this recipe below is probably the best I have found. It is not near as good as the one I had in the restaurant, their sauce was a little sweeter and thicker, but I think it is a good starting point.

Anyone have some tips or changes to the recipe below? Or if you have an entirely new one, I would love to try it. I love Asian food in general, but it is mainly Chinese and Japanese places around here.

Bulgogi Beef Recipe

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I lived in Korea for two years. I’ll have to try this recipe out. Kalbi is my favorite Korean beef dish. Have you tried it?

Edited to add that there is a Korean food channel on our Roku. You might want to look there as well.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a recipe years ago from a Japanese pathologist. I only ever made it with venison under a broiler. Didn't slice it as thin as in your recipe and usually just served with kim chee. I think I need to go to the freezer now.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Thanks. I lived in Korea for two years. I’ll have to try this recipe out. Kalbi is my favorite Korean beef dish. Have you tried it?

Edited to add that there is a Korean food channel on our Roku. You might want to look there as well.

Thanks for the tips, I have not tried Kalbi. The only other dish I actually remember eating at a Korean restaurant was a spicy pork soup. I think it had some noodles, veggies, and an egg.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
If you visit your local asian or international foods grocer, they sell korean kalbi/bulgogi sauce. It's pretty good.

If you like rib meat (I prefer it with the bone), go for the kalbi.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make this also

The link is similar I don't use apple, but I like to add crushed red pepper to the mix. I like the spice!

Posts: 206 | Location: CT. | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I do something similar but don't have a measured recipe (I just do by 'feel'). I'll try to do a measured recipe someday.

Ingredient list:
1) ribeye, NY or filet sliced thin. I don't prefer the paper thin style but do slice the steaks thin. Trim the ribeye well (NY/filet usually doesn't don't require much trimming, if at all). I use Choice grade; prime is used for steaks only.
2) fresh, finely chopped garlic
3) fresh green onions (cut to about 1/2")
4) good grade soy sauce (I also use Japanese soy sauce but better quality ones; mass produced soy sauce like kikkoman only if I'm making a large batch.
5) filtered water (I'm usually about 60% water, 40% other fluids)
6) coca cola or pepsi
7) brown sugar
8) sesame oil (last couple hours of marinading, not before)

I don't use mirin as usually I will grill over a flame. I don't use when pan frying either -- comes out more like teriyaki than bulgogi. I don't put fruits (I used to use kiwi but I found that coke works much better both as a sweetener and as tenderizer).

Marinate the sliced beef in the above. Use a container that allows for the beef to be loosely packed (allow for good circulation and marination) and to be submerged. Let marinate for 6+ hours (overnight is good).

About 2 hours before cooking, remove from fridge (where marinating), add sesame oil and stir up. Set aside and let it come back up to room temp. Grill over high heat - caramelize (outside yet keep juicy/tender inside) - maillard.

Eat wrapped in red leaf lettuce (soak in ice water for 1 hour), good rice (I use short grain Japanese rice), and ssamjang. I love perilla leaves but they are hard to find in US supermarkets.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
If you like rib meat (I prefer it with the bone), go for the kalbi.

Yea, I prefer kalbi / kalbi-jim over bulgogi as well. But I do like (spicy) pork bulgogi.

Getting the kalbi (beef short rib) is easy, either as traditional or LA style cut. Sometimes I marinate, sometimes I just grill and then use salted sesame oil (as a dip). Lately, been preferring the latter - I enjoy the simplicity these days.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bulgoki is the only good memory I have of my Korean tour.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

I visited Korea in 2007. What were you there for? I loved kalbi and bulgogi. Theres a great Korean Restaurant here in Provo, Utah we like to go to.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've not been to Korea, but ate a lot of Korean food while living in Japan.

BiBimBap is my favorite. I also try to recreate the Korean BBQ experience with thinly sliced NY Strip that briefly hits the grill, and sauce from the local Asian markets.

So good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalbi ribs are a nice change-up to the standard barbecue. Go to any Asian market and order up several pounds. Also good for kids as they'll get a kick out of gnawing on the smaller rib bones.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I like this one:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bulgogi

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I need to try some Kalbi! Also I might try and grill the next batch instead of cooking in a wok, thanks for the tips.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I like this one:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bulgogi

This sounds decent.

Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
My Wife makes the best Bulgogi bar none. Her recipe is a secret from everyone though. Big Grin

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
When I traveled about the state for work, I loved hitting a place in Colonial Heights called Koreana. Awesome food.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post