SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stihl 210 saw question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stihl 210 saw question. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
My little 210 starts and runs. But it wants to die upon full throttle. Have not left bad gas in it as I know about varnishing in the carb if left. I do not think that is the issue. Has fresh quality high octane fuel in it.

The two carb adj. are on the side. Top one marked H and the lower marked LA

I assume the H is for rich and lean
and the LA for idle?

Can someone with knowledge help me here.

Does it sound like it could be running a bit rich?

Idle is pretty good. It will idle a bit high and then idle down on its own.

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Typically, there are two adjustments: Idle mixture and full throttle mixture, aka "main jet".

I would imagine (but can't state categorically) that the "H" is your main and the LA is your idle.

If it's bogging when you try to run it up to full throttle, chances are the main is set too lean.

Try adjusting the H screw out (probably counter-clockwise) in 1/8 turn increments and see what happens.

If it bogs for a moment and then accepts full throttle, you may need to richen your idle mixture a touch too.

One usually has to balance the two against each other to get the best combination of idle, off-idle transition and WFO running.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Another hint: If it runs better and accepts throttle changes better with the choke partially closed, that's usually a symptom of a partially clogged passage in the carb somewhere, usually in the idle circuit.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Another point of interest is to only use non ethanol gas ( with the proper oil mixture) in your Stihl and it will run forever.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Check a make sure the fuel line has not shrink down in the ID. Lots of fuel line for OPE come from china these days some of them do this overtime.

Two strokes like good plugs when was the last time plug was changed?

Depending on the carburetor type those could be air screws or those could be fuel screws. Stihl has used both in their chainsaws over the years. It is really easy to seize a chainsaw engine as lean as they run them these days. I would look at other things before messing with screws.

Try dumping a 1/4 OZ of chevron techron concentrate plus in the gas tank and try to run it till it gets to the carb and let it sit overnight to do its thing. See if it gets better the next days with a little running.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My string trimmer was doing the same thing. The spark arrestor in the muffler may be plugged up.
Cleaning it fixed mine.

Here's one being done on a chainsaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XclI6u_xAAs

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I routinely run all my 2 cycle tools with a some injector cleaner in the fuel.

Never have a problem running them on ethanol fuel. Ethanol fuel free gasoline is RARE around these parts. Closest one I could find a week or so ago was in Fredricksburg.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't sound like the carberator, or if it is, it's a little too lean. I would first look at the air filter, exhaust for a restriction, change the spark plug if it's been a long time and also make sure there isn't a crack in the fuel line or primer bulb where it's sucking air.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
From the Stihl FAQ:

"My chainsaw will start and idle but won't run or stalls when I go to full throttle. What's wrong?

There are several things you can check. First, make sure that you are using fresh fuel mix (never store or use fuel mix older than 60 days in can or fuel tank). Second, clean spark arrester screen in the muffler. Third, replace fuel filter in fuel tank. Fourth, clean or replace air filter. If none of these work, please take the machine to your local authorized STIHL servicing Dealer for evaluation."

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
210 manual

https://m.stihlusa.com/WebCont...struction-Manual.pdf

carb adjust page 44

2 standard settings

A High speed screw = 3/4, Low speed screw = 1

B High speed screw = 3/4 Low speed screw = 1/4

instructions on page 45

LA is the idle speed screw

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
As PHPaul suggested in his reply there are 3 or 4 "circuits" in your carburetor. (choke, low speed, high speed for example) It is quite possible for one circuit to become clogged or partially clogged & cause the problem you describe. The best & surest way to fix the problem is to clean the carb - and I mean hospital surgery room clean... what LOOKS clean might not actually be clean & unclogged. And when you finally do get the carb cleaned & it's running right then do yourself a favor and use only gas that has no alcohol in it. I know that you will be told that fuel with alcohol added will be allright IF you use the right fuel treatment & preservative. DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT. Use only alcohol-free gas in fractional horsepower engines & you'll be a happy camper.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtedescucci:
As PHPaul suggested in his reply there are 3 or 4 "circuits" in your carburetor. (choke, low speed, high speed for example) It is quite possible for one circuit to become clogged or partially clogged & cause the problem you describe. The best & surest way to fix the problem is to clean the carb - and I mean hospital surgery room clean... what LOOKS clean might not actually be clean & unclogged. And when you finally do get the carb cleaned & it's running right then do yourself a favor and use only gas that has no alcohol in it. I know that you will be told that fuel with alcohol added will be allright IF you use the right fuel treatment & preservative. DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT. Use only alcohol-free gas in fractional horsepower engines & you'll be a happy camper.

New carberators for a Stihl are incredibly cheap, usually $35 or less. It doesn't pay to clean and rebuild one, but could be carb.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It doesn't sound like the carberator, or if it is, it's a little too lean. I would first look at the air filter, exhaust for a restriction, change the spark plug if it's been a long time and also make sure there isn't a crack in the fuel line or primer bulb where it's sucking air.

This was my thought as well. The spark arrestor gets ignored, and when that little grill gets clogged with soot, it can cause your problem.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Just dump the old gas and add fresh gas with Sea Foam at about 1 to 1 and let it idle to clean the carb.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
My string trimmer was doing the same thing. The spark arrestor in the muffler may be plugged up.
Cleaning it fixed mine.

Here's one being done on a chainsaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XclI6u_xAAs

Thanks for that posting!
I needed to learn that. I hope it helps the OP.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Stihl chainsaws, a weed eater and leaf blower.

When I have those symptoms the first thing I do is clean the spark arrestor, a screen in the exhaust.

If you have a small airport nearby, get some 100 LL gas. No ethanol and the shelf live is much better than pump gas.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post