SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What color apple do you see? (science related)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What color apple do you see? (science related) Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Not at all. I just cannot "not see" stuff, and would like to experience it in order to understand it better (I guess an odd sort of empathy and the desire to understand what others perceive in order to understand more of other people's place in life). While it does have some downsides due to negative memories, even those are all well with me.

I can sort of "shut my eyes in my mind", but I still "see" that, the nothing. I "see it", (as odd as that my sound.

I talked with a blind friend once, many years ago, (who lost sight as a young boy) and he told me that he no longer "sees images". He said for a while, he could "see some imagery of memories as the applied to the "now" from the sounds and smells in a situation. So if he was out walking, and heard cars and things, they would be accompanied by memories that "fit". He said over time it just slowly stopped, and one day he realized he was not "seeing memories" automatically, but had to really work to recall them. He said that bothered him and made him feel like he had gone blind all over again.

But, he said that passed over a few months and it did not bother him anymore.

And, yes, the thought of going blind is one of those things I really have a fear of having occur, (and have never told anyone before).

I am very "visual" dependent.

Hope I have not derailed this discussion. It was not my intent, but I do love "exploring thought". Ergo....

I can see the apple,

however,

I like to buy heirloom apples, and one of my favorite varieties is Northern Spy, they make a great pie,

I can not only see that apple, but the basket it is displayed in on the counter at the small grocery I usually buy them from, and the interior of the store, as in tell you the layout,
but then again, I have been there a few times

(Greenwood Grocery, http://www.greenwoodva.com/ just between Greenwood VA and Crozet Va)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I must be doing something wrong. I see 4 apples 1 through 4. The first is a beautiful red apple with green stem, the second is a bright red almost cartoon apple with a green stem, the third is a purple Apple with a purple stem, and the fourth is a pink Apple with pink stem. I do not see an apple on head number 5.

What am I doing wrong?

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
I must be doing something wrong. I see 4 apples 1 through 4. The first is a beautiful red apple with green stem, the second is a bright red almost cartoon apple with a green stem, the third is a purple Apple with a purple stem, and the fourth is a pink Apple with pink stem. I do not see an apple on head number 5.

What am I doing wrong?

Same here. What’s supposed to happen?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Close your eyes and mentally visualize an apple. Which image is closest to what you see?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16346 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
I must be doing something wrong....
What am I doing wrong?

Some people are unable to "see" an apple in their mind in a visual form, so the first four images are representative of what some people "see", and the last frame is the "black" of the "imagery" in the mind, when eyes are closed and trying to conjur up the image in the mind.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I do not see a visual apple in my mind.

Think I will play with concept some tomorrow.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I've always been able to visualize things in my mind. I can rotate them in 3 dimensions, cut through them, at any angle I want. I can change the color if I want, but the default color seems to be red, for some reason. I realized not everybody could do this to the extent I can as a child, but I didn't realize until high school that some people couldn't do it at all. I see what I read in my mind, and characters in books have voices I "hear" when reading.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
I see a red apple. I don't just see a red apple though. I see a red apple sitting on the counter in my kitchen.

I work with other engineers. Some are easier to work with than others when it comes to developing concepts for new products. The difficult ones usually have to have things explained to them in excruciating detail before they can grasp the idea. The others can usually finish your sentence. Perhaps there is correlation between intuitive vs linear thinking and ability to image a scene from words.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I can't multitask worth a shit. I try, but it's not my strength. Hyper-focus for long periods of time on one task is easy.

quote:
Originally posted by Slosig:
have read and heard many times that most men are incapable of multiprocessing. That is certainly true for me. Some tasks that are mostly automated I can do while doing something else, but neither is getting the proper focus or attention.

This is one of the things I can excel at. As Smudge said if hyper focus on one task, I can pretty much do that multiple times. I can have an in depth conversation with my wife while typing a reply to sigforum, as my wife and I are doing as I type this. When it comes time to cook dinner, I can easily have three or four things cooking at once, and make sure they will all be ready at the exact same time.
There are so many things that are done simultaneously each day, that it’s just a part of life for me. I can easily tune out the conversations around me, or focus on more than one.

On the same note, math and numbers, spreadsheets, things if that nature, just come easy for me. Problem solving (creating a physical solution to a problem) like making weird gadgets to fix an issue, some may call it mechanical engineering without any schooling, is as normal as breathing. Art, or the ability to take what I think of in my head and how something should look, and put it on paper, is impossible. I cannot even draw good stick people.

Of the people that see the Apple, I wonder what the ratio of artistic ability and mathematics ability are. Same for the people that cannot see the Apple.

After thinking about this for a few minutes, I would think that the people that see the Apple are more artistic and less mathematic. The people that cannot see the Apple, I would think the opposite, they are more relative to mathematics and not so artistic.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I can't multitask worth a shit. I try, but it's not my strength. Hyper-focus for long periods of time on one task is easy.

quote:
Originally posted by Slosig:
have read and heard many times that most men are incapable of multiprocessing. That is certainly true for me. Some tasks that are mostly automated I can do while doing something else, but neither is getting the proper focus or attention.

This is one of the things I can excel at. As Smudge said of hyper focus on one task, I can pretty much do that multiple times. I can have an in depth conversation with my wife while typing a reply to sigforum, as my wife and I are doing as I type this. When it comes time to cook dinner, I can easily have three or four things cooking at once, and make sure they will all be ready at the exact same time.
There are so many things that are done simultaneously each day, that it’s just a part of life for me. I can easily tune out the conversations around me, or focus on more than one.

On the same note, math and numbers, spreadsheets, things of that nature, just come easy for me. Problem solving (creating a physical solution to a problem) like making weird gadgets to fix an issue, some may call it mechanical engineering without any schooling, is as normal as breathing. Art, or the ability to take what I think of in my head and how something should look, and put it on paper, is impossible. I cannot even draw good stick people.

Of the people that see the Apple, I wonder what the ratio of artistic ability and mathematics ability are. Same for the people that cannot see the Apple.

After thinking about this for a few minutes, I would think that the people that see the Apple are more artistic and less mathematic. The people that cannot see the Apple, I would think the opposite, they are more relative to mathematics and not so artistic.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
After thinking about this for a few minutes, I would think that the people that see the Apple are more artistic and less mathematic.

This is true of myself for sure. I've always struggled with math, it's just not something my brain processes well. Drawing, sculpting and carving are a joy for me, though I rarely do that sort of thing anymore.

You may be on to something, there.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Or, people who can see the apple are hungry, and the other people are not.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post