SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What color apple do you see? (science related)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What color apple do you see? (science related) Login/Join 
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
What the eye sees and the mind interprets, or imagines, are very interesting differences among humans. I had a friend who, when asked "What color is that house?" would respond "It's white. On this side."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Do they listen to the Hello Internet Podcast? Because they discussed this recently.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
What the eye sees and the mind interprets, or imagines, are very interesting differences among humans. I had a friend who, when asked "What color is that house?" would respond "It's white. On this side."
It's a take on a remark in a Robert A. Heinlein book "Beyond This Horizon". The incident is when the hero is conversing with a person called a "True Witness". He asks her if she can see what color the house on a hill is painted and she answers "It's white on this side." (A "True Witness" only states what it knows to be true, and it could not see the other side of the house.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Like several of the others, put me in the #1 group. I've always been able to daydream and see things in my mind. Reading books always caused me to picture the action taking place on the page; from sci-fi stories to Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series.

I just always thought that this was how everyone was. How interesting!

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
This is most fascinating. I too envisioned a big, red juicy apple similar to the one in the first image. While somewhat surprising, there are folks who are unable to visualize images in their mind's eye. Similarly, there are individuals who lack even basic mechanical aptitude. For those of us who like to tinker, it's easy to forget there are others who lack the mechanical gene.

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
#1 is what I have in mind when I think of apples.

Posts: 7414 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My sister-in-law says she cannot visualize things in her head. Quizzed, for example, about how she imagined a “cheat sheet” she might have for a test, imagining looking at the upper left hand corner, she denied any ability to do such a thing.
She could not visualize images of things she read in a book.
One of her daughters claims she is also like this.

Posts: 18000 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I can see a Granny Smith still on the tree with vibrant leaves and the dew glistening in the sunrise. A slight breeze is blowing the branch back and forth just so...

Posts: 9093 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I see a red apple and I want to be black.

I could not foresee this thing happening..... Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
Like several of the others, put me in the #1 group. I've always been able to daydream and see things in my mind. Reading books always caused me to picture the action taking place on the page; from sci-fi stories to Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series.

I just always thought that this was how everyone was. How interesting!

Yes.

And I not only see the characters, but often see them to the point of being "disappointment" in who is cast in the movie roll of the folks from books.

I recall, my greatest "mind character" being the perfect person cast for the film from a book when I saw the movie. It was "Arnie Cunningham". Keith Gordon was exactly the person that my mind created. It was a great moment.

I also "see" people in radio. Sean Hannity "looked" more like Conan O'Brien, so it was a bit of a shock when I saw him on TV years after hearing him as a fill in for Rush.

And I can see things like an engine in 3D while driving down the road, and "look inside" while it is running, rotate it, and such.

And I have great recall of most of my life, to the point that 50 years later, I and my older sister met in Wichita and I was able to take her in a rental car and drive to every house we lived in from the late fifties to the present day, and she was absolutely gobsmacked. There were two houses that were no longer there, my grandparents house was a vacent lot, but I could still "see the house and neighborhood" and pointed all of it out and then she was able to tell by looking at the surroundings that I was correct in the recall. The other house was a large parking lot for Beechcraft, and Central Ave had been rerouted, so I was having a real hard time with that because the area was so much changed, I kept trying to "place the house" off the lot, but it "would not settle". After driving around the area, I finally realized the parking lot I had stopped in and looking around "for the house" was the yard and "driveway" (dirt drive, back in those days).

And I also thought, for most of my life, everyone could do this. (My mother would tell me I was "imagining remembering things that never happened", and I always figured it was because a lot of those things were much unpleasant for her to want to remember, so it was her way of "deflecting".

My grandmother was just like me, sitting with her at 104 years old and hearing her tell of everything, and confirming the things I recalled, was pretty neat.

But, it is a cursed blessing, in some respects.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43777 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

That it is. I can remember it all on instant recall. Even the really bad stuff. My memories come complete with the correct lighting conditions of the event.

To combat that, I've learned to recall the really good stuff, or the really fun things I've invented for myself, like the sensation of running downhill off the porch of the house I lived in during my teens, and simply vaulting into the air and soaring like Icarus at about an hour to sunset, swooping low over the cornfields North of our house. Or the good and genuine stuff like sitting still in the rain, halfway up a tree, holding the '43 Winchester M1 I used to hunt with, the feel of it fresh again in my hands and forever locked in, waiting for a buck to wander by (he never does, I just sit and listen to the rain). Laying on Cocoa Beach, listening to the Atlantic roll in....

I wonder if this is part of why I can choose to fall asleep nearly anywhere, anytime, and my wife cannot. She rustles and shuffles around in bed for a good hour many nights before dropping off. Myself, I'm halfway to dream state before I've even settled because I've got a few dozen relaxing scenarios I can drop into at will, and then I'm just gone.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Monkey, my Pop-Pop and my older brother have the same ability to recall things from years ago, stories, conversations, describe homes etc...I can’t. I know it can be done, just that I don’t have that ability. Almost like elephant memory.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11226 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Those who say they are type 1 - when you say you see the apple (or whatever you're visualizing), is it actually a visual sensation?

Is it more of picture, video, or 3d rendering? Or is it something different?

I ask because if I close my eyes and try to visualize an apple, I just see the back of my eyelids.

That said, I do have the ability to wonder off into my thoughts - I can conceptualize things in my mind - but it isn't tied into any visual senses themselves, but almost at a lower level.

If I read a story, it plays out in my mind. My dreams are detailed ( much more vivid than my day dreams). I can recall / replay memories (or bits and pieces of scenes from movies), but again, it isn't visual - its more of a background feed (not sure how to explain it exactly).

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No, it doesn't have anything to do with my physical eyes. It's like a mental picture in the middle of my forehead. I guess that's where they get the "third eye" that describes so-called clairvoyant ability.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Also, in regards to books and visualizing the scenes, few movie adaptations have come nearly as close as what Peter Jackson did with LOTR. He obviously visualized it precisely as I do. It was stunning the first time I saw it.

The interesting question there is how many people had that same experience with those movies having previously read the books, and is that a byproduct of Tolkien's writing style?

Posts: 11344 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see whatever type of apple I am thinking of, be it red, yellow or green. Have never seen a gray apple, so how could I envision one?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’m a 5. I can’t visualize shit.

Posts: 11147 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I see whatever type of apple I am thinking of, be it red, yellow or green. Have never seen a gray apple, so how could I envision one?

I did black and white photography, and grew up on B&W TV, and I can actually "desaturate" an image, or "see" anything in B&W if I choose to do it on the fly.

And most of the visual stuff can be done at the "speed of thought", and pretty much instantaneous, like if someone asks you your name, you reply without giving it any thought, because the "lookup" is well pathed.

And I have focused on this more over the past few years when I started asking my daughters (who both have the same abilities) about their experiences.

Funny, is we all "think" the same way, and in many conversations, we sort of "tune in" like the BORG collective.

I have a hard time imagining not being able to "see things".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43777 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Laurel.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.

And I not only see the characters, ...

I have both characteristics as well. In addition to visualization, I have a memory that takes me back to under age 3 on certain things. Like you, I have also been able to drive to childhood homes from memory, including the first home I lived in and moved away from at age 6. I agree that this kind of memory is a blessing and a bit of a curse at times.

Posts: 8575 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post