SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What color apple do you see? (science related)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What color apple do you see? (science related) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Close your eyes for a moment and visualize an apple. Think of the color, the texture, really try and ‘see it’.

I was listening to my twin 16-year-old boys have a conversation about this last night. J sees #1, and M (and I) see #5.

For some mild entertainment, here is an abridged transcript from their conversation. The fun for me was the shock in each others voices that they could not understand how the other boy ‘lived like this’

J described how he “sees” the scenes described in a book…like almost watching it on TV. If there is a sad girls crying, he can watch her cry.
M sees nothing, just knows the that there is a girl crying, feels bad for her, but cannot see her.

J said, ‘I’m asking all these questions because I thought vivid imagination” was something that everyone has.
M said, “I thought vivid imagination was something teachers just say to annoy me”.

J said….when you go to sleep, when you first close your eyes…what do you see? I see a movie of my day being replayed.
M said: I see nothing. Just darkness....I ”think” about the day, but I don’t see anything.

M is all but accusing J of making this up….he cannot conceive that people can “see” the scenes in a book or their thoughts play out.

M said, “You get dreams for free!”
J said, “do you think Daydreaming is fake news or something?”
M said, ‘Yes! I never see anything!”
J said: “That is terrible!”
M said: “I know!”

M: I always hated English Lit because they would say….”picture this …. “ I never could.

J….”I can even change the angles of what I am seeing when I am thinking about those scenes.”
Mike: “What!?! Dude that is not how the human brain works!”

It went back and forth like this for quite a while, it’s one of the first times I’ve heard them talking to each other like friends.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I see #1. And yes, I can even make it do things or view from a different angle. It takes a mild bit of concentration, but seems otherwise natural.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I see #1. And yes, I can even make it do things or view from a different angle. It takes a mild bit of concentration, but seems otherwise natural.

That is mind numbing to me. The boys and I did some research on this last night and found this....

WHAT UNIVERSAL HUMAN EXPERIENCES ARE YOU MISSING WITHOUT REALIZING IT?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Same as kkina, but yellow cuz I was envisioning a yellow delicious. Guess I kind of do the same thing when I'm reading a book of fiction- mentally see a "movie" of what I'm reading.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

That is mind numbing to me. The boys and I did some research on this last night and found this....

WHAT UNIVERSAL HUMAN EXPERIENCES ARE YOU MISSING WITHOUT REALIZING IT?

Wow. I just thought everyone could do this. I use it all the time, for work and play.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yeah I can see an apple -specifically a red delicious just like #1.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11226 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am this way also. It's easy for me. Not only do I see the apple, I see the bin I picked it out of, in the grocery store I shop at. Or, if I like, some random booth at a farmer's market we went to with my son four years ago. My wife is more like #5. We've had conversations like Ronin's sons and simply can't believe how the other goes through life.

She goes through books at a speed I can't comprehend, because for me, they're a movie playing out in my mind. I take my time and simply soak in the experience. Decades after I've read a book, I can still vividly recall the mental imagery, the sounds, the feeling of being there, watching it all play out. Everything, just about, except smells. My mind doesn't bother with those too much, but if I concentrate, I can imagine fragrances.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
#1 for me as well. I also "envision" action when I'm reading a book. Maybe that's why I'm such a slow reader...I "act it out" in my mind as I'm reading.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I was picturing a green apple Smile

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3453 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
WOW!

I feel like I am missing a ‘sense’ that the rest of the world has and enjoys everyday.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
probably cause I was in a conversation about phones, I saw the apple logo when reading the first part,

otherwise , I see #1,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
When I close my eyes at night and picture an apple it looks a little different than the first 5...

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I see purple! LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Mine kept flopping back and forth between a red delicious from Lake Chelan, WA (a friend of my dad’s was a long haul trucker and would often bring us a case of those wonderful crisp, juicy, sweet, but not too sweet apples) that are just a memory as the red delicious apples one can get in CA groceries aren’t even close and the Fujis that one can actually get decent ones in CA grocery stores. Not artistic at all, but I do visualize as I read, plan, or think about things.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I too "see" things. I can change angles, rotate, zoom in and out, whatever. When I did the experiment, I saw a green apple! I too thought everyone can do this. Who knew?!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I see a red apple and I want to be black.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43776 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see a red apple and I want to be black.

I see what you did there.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The first thought would be the white logo when my phone restarts. When I think of a real apple it is red and yellow like the honeycrisp variety that is all over here.

I visualize everything like real life or on tv.

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I see #1 but it's green. I prefer Granny Smith apples.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I was picturing a green apple Smile

Me too, a big, green Granny Smith. Cored and filled with juicy raisins and brown sugar then baked............I can see it now, 3-D and in Technicolor...!

Posts: 912 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post